Torque Sensor vs Cadence Sensor on an ebike?

2ndhand

In my opinion torque sensors are better as they measure the level of assistance that you get for the amount of effort you put into the ride!

electric6

I'm with @2ndhand on the torque sensor. The downside is that you need to keep on peddaling when going up a tough hill climb otherwise the ebike comes to a halt!

Garreth

Cadence sensors are common because they are cheap. A really good torque sensor is always going to be better than a cadence sensor. I like having a throttle because it provides a backup to keep the electric motor going (like when you tear the PAS wires like I did on one ride).

GoLikeWind

Throttle only is the cheapest option, then cadence sensor, then torque sensor, then torque sensor that actually works being the most expensive :)

freddy

I've used ebikes with both cadence and torque sensors, A torque sensor is smooth an reacts very fast from my experience.

Garreth

A good torque sensor makes an ebike feel just like riding a normal bike. Throttle only feels like an electric scooter....

inti

Ebikes with torque sensors will get a longer range and therefore potentially greater battery life to make up for the extra cost of the torque sensor.