Tips & Guides Top 4 Tips for Your Ebike Maintenance in 2022

Kayla

Local time
1:39 AM
When it comes to riding your electric bikes smoothly, ebike maintenance is a must. There are so many parts for ebikes that need to be looked after periodically. It may be kind of troublesome and complicated for many riders or those who are rarely involved in ebike maintenance but don’t worry, as you click in this page to read this article, you will learn how to do ebike maintenance.

Top 4 Things to know to Do Ebike Maintenance

Here are gravel ebike, road ebikes, commuter ebikes, Cruiser electric bikes for adults, etc. Even though they are different in terms of their functions, those differences won’t make a huge difference when it comes to ebike maintenance. So, check the things you need to know below before ebike maintenance.

1. Regular Cleaning

This can be the most basic step, but don’t underestimate its effect. Normally, it is not recommended to leave your batteries and motors in the water. Therefore, you can prepare yourself a hose, a bucket of water, and a brush as well to wash your electric bikes. Some of you would like to use a powerful jet wash, but it is absolutely improper because its strong power could wash things off like some loose ebike components. One more thing to avoid is that never ever wash your ebikes upside down as your ebike will be filled with water and it will not drain out naturally.

Regularly, it is reasonable to wash your ebikes 2-3 times a week. However, you can change that number according to your riding conditions.

2. Chain Oiling

The chain of your electric bikes should be oiled and lubricated on a regular basis, but how often should you we do that? That depends on the condition you ride in. For example, if you ride on clean tarmac or city streets, you will need to oil your chain less frequently compared with those who always ride in the mud. There are 3 steps for you to oil the chains of your electric bikes.

Step 1: Cleaning

As you ride your ebikes many times, the oil on the chains must carry much dirt or sand, which is one of the factors that makes them less smooth. Therefore, you can just use a cloth to wipe off the dirt on the chains, but don’t use heavy degreasers or strong cleaners, which will wash off the protective and useful grease on the chains.

Step 2: Oiling

Once you finish cleaning the chains, you can start to oil them, just spin the chain while applying a drop of oil to each link of the chains. In this step, you need to make sure those drops of oil are applied to the inner side of the chain. This is going to distribute the oil evenly.

Step 3: Wipe off Excessive Oil

With too much oil on the chain, dirt and sand will come back again. Thus, you can leave the chain alone for a few minutes after oiling, then use a cloth to wipe the excess oil off.

3. Tires

Wheels and Tires are essential parts of an ebike because they propel your ebikes forward, therefore, you need to make sure your tires are inflated and move smoothly. Also, there are 3 steps for you to do that.

Step 1: Keep Your Tires Inflated Appropriately

Check the psi level of your tires before every ride. That’s because tires that are underinflated will not move naturally or smoothly. Moreover, underinflated tires will make it much more possible for you to have flats.

Step 2: Get Yourself Prepared for Flats

Actually, if you ride out all the time, things like flats will inevitably happen, so it is more reasonable for you to prepare for that. Usually, you need to carry a spare tube, a mini bike pump, and a patch kit so that you can keep riding with a replaced tube or a patched-up tube.

Step 3: Get a pair of Replacement Tires

There must be situations where you can not fix your tires. However, most electric bikes for adults are heavier than regular ebikes for sale. It is not fun at all to push your ebike back home. Therefore, getting a pair of puncture-resistant tires is strongly recommended.

4. Battery Maintenance

Finally, let’s talk about battery maintenance. To maintain the longevity of your batteries, it is recommended by most manufacturers that you should keep your ebike charge on the battery between 30% to 75%.

The other consideration when you are maintaining your batteries is your charging port. You need to keep it clean all the time in case there is sand and debris getting into it. That is true for most riders who are always riding off-road or on those uneven and rugged terrains.

Last Words

There are still some other things about ebike maintenance besides the battery, chain, tires, and cleaning. Whatever they are, ebike maintenance is something that you can’t ignore or underestimate if you want to keep your electric bikes performing perfectly. Of course, this is not only for the performance, but it can extend the life of your ebikes.

Fantastic article! Thanks for sharing.

The main thing which caught my eye was the part about keeping the battery at 30-75% charged. I think I remember reading somewhere from Aventon that they recommended regular complete charging. I wonder which is best?

My personal habit has been to plug it in after getting back from any ride dipping my battery less than 90%
Cost commonly, I am charging at about 60-65% which is what I have after returning from my work commute each day. Plug in around dinner and remember to unplug before going to bed (fully charged by then).

Fantastic article! Thanks for sharing.

The main thing which caught my eye was the part about keeping the battery at 30-75% charged. I think I remember reading somewhere from Aventon that they recommended regular complete charging. I wonder which is best?

My personal habit has been to plug it in after getting back from any ride dipping my battery less than 90%
Cost commonly, I am charging at about 60-65% which is what I have after returning from my work commute each day. Plug in around dinner and remember to unplug before going to bed (fully charged by then).
Think you for your support!

Avoid a Long-Term Full or Empty Battery
To expand the battery life, you actually should to avoid this scenario that battery charging to 100 percent which extremely stresses the battery. It’s better to charge to 85 percent if you know you don't need a full battery.

If you ride semi-regularly or don’t ride very often, it’s important that konwing how to the battery remains properly charged when the e-bike is idle. Keep the power at 50% when storing. The battery will self-discharge over time, so if you haven’t ridden for two months or more, be sure to check the charge every once in a while and charge it to 50% when lack of power.

The same for discharging, don’t charge the battery until the battery has been use up. Just put yourself in the position, if you’re very starving to eat something, your stomach will be gradually shrink so you couldn’t eat much as usual. On the contrary, you’re not so hungry but can eat more and feel better, that's why You should charge the battery before it runs out, instead of fully exhausted. This food analogy also applies to quick charger as well. Keep in mind that the first 50% of charging will not stress the battery; it is the remaining 50% that causes stress to the battery. The charging of the latter 50% that needs to be eased into.

Think you for your support!

Avoid a Long-Term Full or Empty Battery
To expand the battery life, you actually should to avoid this scenario that battery charging to 100 percent which extremely stresses the battery. It’s better to charge to 85 percent if you know you don't need a full battery.

If you ride semi-regularly or don’t ride very often, it’s important that konwing how to the battery remains properly charged when the e-bike is idle. Keep the power at 50% when storing. The battery will self-discharge over time, so if you haven’t ridden for two months or more, be sure to check the charge every once in a while and charge it to 50% when lack of power.

The same for discharging, don’t charge the battery until the battery has been use up. Just put yourself in the position, if you’re very starving to eat something, your stomach will be gradually shrink so you couldn’t eat much as usual. On the contrary, you’re not so hungry but can eat more and feel better, that's why You should charge the battery before it runs out, instead of fully exhausted. This food analogy also applies to quick charger as well. Keep in mind that the first 50% of charging will not stress the battery; it is the remaining 50% that causes stress to the battery. The charging of the latter 50% that needs to be eased into.

Thanks again, Kayla.

I wonder if different manufacturers offer different charge advise based on the battery types they use.

It’s interesting…..for Aventon, if you visit their Q&A on battery storage and usage, they are pretty clear on maintaining a charge at 75-80% for short term (needs definition) and long term (months) storage.

For regular riding, it looks like they recommend a regular full charge.

Aventon Pace 500 v2 manual:

“The battery should be recharged after each use, so it is ready to go the full range for your next ride. There is no memory effect, so charging the battery after short rides will not cause damage”

”Fully charging the battery before each use can help extend the life of the battery and reduces the chance of over-discharging”

So, I’m thinking the right way to go would be a regular full charge when using the bike regularly, but when not in use for 2 weeks or more, maintain at 75-80%?

Thanks again, Kayla.

I wonder if different manufacturers offer different charge advise based on the battery types they use.

It’s interesting…..for Aventon, if you visit their Q&A on battery storage and usage, they are pretty clear on maintaining a charge at 75-80% for short term (needs definition) and long term (months) storage.

For regular riding, it looks like they recommend a regular full charge.

Aventon Pace 500 v2 manual:

“The battery should be recharged after each use, so it is ready to go the full range for your next ride. There is no memory effect, so charging the battery after short rides will not cause damage”

”Fully charging the battery before each use can help extend the life of the battery and reduces the chance of over-discharging”

So, I’m thinking the right way to go would be a regular full charge when using the bike regularly, but when not in use for 2 weeks or more, maintain at 75-80%?
Yep, acctually, it determined by what's the frequency of you ride; if you use the ebike regularly, surely you would fully charge your battery.

Nice report @Kayla
I got it all covered, spare tires, plug, sealant, chains, pedals, tool kits etc. I even check bolts tourqe value monthly.
I remove chain to lube in a jar full of motor oil same oil on for the Tacoma.
Interesting take on batteries. @Snoop .
I have two bikes that I alternate riding, I charge the batteries 100% at the end of each ride. Usually 30-40% remaining.
Bulls came with BMZ battery and charger made in Germany 3 years ownership 6K + miles. And still going.
Biktrix bike came with generic equipment and I'm expecting to get at least 5k out of it.
Maintenance advice is helpful but it comes down to, It's my bike and I maintain it the way I please"
I even wash my battery when it's good to and dirty.
Thanks for your support! And i think that you really love your bike for doing all things that makes it better!(y)

Pedego recommends fully charging after every ride. For winter storage, charge it up, store it and forget it. They use Samsung batteries which they say are top of the line!

Fiido recommends full charge charge after each ride unplug when at full charge. Do they want battery to fail early?

Back