Tools Tools to have available during ride

procreator

Local time
5:02 PM
I am planning on some longer rides next spring/summer. What tools I should plan on carrying in my panniers? I won't plan on doing a complete bike overhaul on the trail, but stuff happens.

Thanks!

The minimum would be a good multi tool, chain breaker and replacement link, your preferred tire inflator, patch kit, spare tube and tire irons.

I keep my spare tube in an old cycling sock that doubles as a work glove and shop rag. That and a phone should get you through most trail or roadside issues. A dedicated torque wrench is nice to have as well.

I carry a Ritchey torque wrench to avoid damaging any components.

Do you have recommendations for a good multi tool?
Both Park and Topeak make nice tools and some include a chain tool. The last thing that you need is a tool that will damage your fasteners or fail when your are broken down. I would stay away from any bargain tools. A good multi tool is a long term investment and not all that expensive.

Your individual needs will be different than mine if you have tubeless tires or a hub drive that requires additions tools for wheel removal.

This is what I carry. Obliviously each bike build is different and requires different size wrenches. I don’t like multi tools.

Tube patch kit: Rema Tip Top 23mm round patches. Sandpaper squares. Rema SVS vulcanizing cement. Best patches made. But hard to find. I bought the 100 pack of patches and 10gm tube of vulcanizing glue on eBay and made my kit. Every other brand is problematic. Rema patches just plain work every time.

8mm combination wrench

9mm combination wrench

10mm combination wrench

3mm Allen wrench

4mm Allen wrench

5mm Allen wrench

6mm Allen wrench

8mm Allen wrench for crank arm bolt.

25mm torx wrench for BB5/7 brakes

3 tire levers. Pedro or Parks

Mini portable bike pump with extension tube and inline gauge. Giyo GM-61, GM-71 or GM-821 (Aliexpress)

2 inner tubes

Small roll of 1” wide gorilla tape for temporarily fixing tire cuts or tire bead separation tears.

Park spoke wrenches

KMC Missing links -chain links

KMC or Clever brand mini chain tool

Zip ties

Shop towel

Hand wipes

2 pair nitrile disposable gloves.

I used to carry a 'Leatherman" type, worst piece of kit I ever had on my side snagging everything not to mention the "blood blisters" when I pinched my fingers trying to use the ridiculous pliers. What you can do is take a long look at what you use almost daily and start subtracting, if you have a hub drive you can almost always make it home when you have derailer trouble or break a chain, the little CO2 inflators do not take up much room and the other very stowable multi wrenches or keys are a good bet probably the most important thing would be a 2 way communication device.

i carry some bear spray....riding the woods of virginia ya never know wut ewe will run into :oops:

Small roll of 1” wide gorilla tape for temporarily fixing tire cuts or tire bead separation tears.
Damn... why didn't I think of that? I use that stuff for everything else!

I have a set of folding allen wrenches that came with a belt pouch, strapped to my bike frame with some velcro. And adjustable spanner wrench, Craftsman Speed-drive socket screwdriver. And a tire patch kit.
It's true every bike will be a little different, but as you can see here pretty much anything you will be able to fix on the trail can be done with #3, 4, 5, or 6 metric allen wrenches, an adjustable spanner wrench, and a tire patch (or gorilla tape). Anything else is probably going to require you getting it home first to do any more extensive work.

Damn... why didn't I think of that? I use that stuff for everything else!
It’s handy. I was on a 450 mile tour and I had a Schwalbe Marathon Plus tire’s bead start tearing from the tire casing. Luckily I noticed that the tube started sticking out of the tire. I put one piece of tape inside the tire lengthwise covering the tear. And 2 pieces running from bead to bead across the inside of the tire. The tire worked like brand new. Not even a bump when that are hit the ground while riding either. A couple months later the other tire started doing the same thing. I guess it’s not a good idea to run tires at their max stated pressure. After that I run everything 10% under the max pressure rating.

I used to carry a multi tool. But I later switched to carrying separate Allen wrenches and small combination wrenches. They really don’t take up more room than a multitool and separate wrenches are much easier to use. The only good thing that the multitool had was a mini chain pin press tool. But there are some pretty compact chain tools out there now. I used to carry my tools in a travel toothbrush zip up pouch but then I went to a clamshell water bottle style pouch which I carry in a truck bag. Link

I used to carry a multi tool. But I later switched to carrying separate Allen wrenches and small combination wrenches. They really don’t take up more room than a multitool and separate wrenches are much easier to use. The only good thing that the multitool had was a mini chain pin press tool. But there are some pretty compact chain tools out there now. I used to carry my tools in a travel toothbrush zip up pouch but then I went to a clamshell water bottle style pouch which I carry in a truck bag. Link
I use a folding allen wrench set mainly because it comes with a belt pouch that I can strap to my frame with velcro. And it has pretty much every size i need for my bike, and doesn't need to take up room in my bag or pockets. It's just there strapped to the bike frame.

Back