Tips For Using E-bikes

Local time
2:58 PM
Proper use of e-bikes can extend its life and reduce malfunctions so that various functions can be performed normally.

1. Check whether the battery box is locked before riding. Whether the display panel and each light display is normal.

2. When riding on a rainy day, do not let the water depth exceed the center of the e-bike wheel.

3. Avoid long-term storage in places where the air is humid and the temperature is too high. Avoid prolonged sun and rain.

4. Lubrication is an important part of the maintenance of e-bikes. According to the usage, scrub and lubricate the parts.

A cautionary for those of us, well past our prime. As a geriatric ebiker, I have noticed what I feel is a danger due to the greater speed possible on most ebikes. Most of us elderly riders have accustomed ourselves to the lesser performance that we experience with traditonal bicycles. Ebikes take us back to the time and speed when our reflexes and responses were much better. This problem can be compounded when carrying a substantial load. The ebike will still max-out at 20 + mph where we'd be proud to maintain 10 mph on a traditional unit.
So; Slow Down Olds....I know I will.

A cautionary for those of us, well past our prime. As a geriatric ebiker, I have noticed what I feel is a danger due to the greater speed possible on most ebikes. Most of us elderly riders have accustomed ourselves to the lesser performance that we experience with traditonal bicycles. Ebikes take us back to the time and speed when our reflexes and responses were much better. This problem can be compounded when carrying a substantial load. The ebike will still max-out at 20 + mph where we'd be proud to maintain 10 mph on a traditional unit.
Thank you very much for your reply. You're right. Most e-bikes can be fast, but it's up to you. You can choose a slower e-bike or find the speed that works for you while riding.

My 340 Bimmer has (so far) failed to exceed my reflexes, and I'm a codger.
But the caveat is well taken, and with a track record of bike wrecks (couple of beauts), I will be careful.
Dan

My motorcycle is in the garage waiting for me to heal. To be honest, I wear gear all the time. Excursions into the relam of tripple digits are just easy. I also put it on to run to the local store. Light weight clothing for e bikers, with some knee and hip armor and some abrasion resistance, shouldn't be overly expensive, if we could convince someone to manufacture it.

I have enough trouble wearing a helmet, let alone looking like I'm ready for the race on the Isle of Man. ;)
Now, that said, it wouldn't be a bad idea; I already scuffed up a leg, getting my balance back in shape. It's been 5 years since I've been on a bike. But I'm a rail trail guy, where the risks are somewhat less. And I've been told how much trouble I'll be in if I don't wear my crash hat.
Dan

I've personally seen dozens of accidents on those rental scooters and called an ambulance for 2 of them and they only go 10mph. I live in a densely populated urban area and I see idiots riding 15+mph on sidewalks weaving between pedestrians on a daily basis, usually because they're too lazy or stupid to ride a block so they could use a bike lane going the right direction. I foresee alot of new laws/regulations as ebikes continue to flood the area

My motorcycle is in the garage waiting for me to heal. To be honest, I wear gear all the time. Excursions into the relam of tripple digits are just easy. I also put it on to run to the local store. Light weight clothing for e bikers, with some knee and hip armor and some abrasion resistance, shouldn't be overly expensive, if we could convince someone to manufacture it.
That's a fantastic idea imho! I'm 50 yo and hadn't been on any kind of bike in 25+yrs. I live in a densely populated urban area chock full of Ebikes and rental scooters and have seen dozens of accidents, 2 serious no helmet unconscious, so I'd buy more than just a helmet. I'm too old to care what other ppl think but motorcycle protective gear would seem to be pretty heavy and unwieldily for an ebike esp in summer.

You can also use a lower assist level. I use a half shell motorcycle helmet during the winter. They're cheaper than bicycle helmets. Here's an interesting video on bicycle helmets. Enjoy!

Back