This is bad.

I would need a lot more information than that article provides to come to any conclusions other than "a tragedy occurred". I mean just today we had a car catch-fire and burn up AT A FUEL PUMP!

That's terrible news. It makes me wonder if the battery was on charge when it exploded.

It looks more like an emotorbike in that video rather than an ebike.

I've gone back over this article multiple times and I just get more curious about what the hell happened. According to the information given "the battery sparked an explosion outside the apartment" What exploded? Was it the battery or something else? Then they say the burned up scooter was in the stairwell, but the photo shows that obviously the scooter didn't burn up in the stairwell. Then they say the fire was contained to the one apartment, but how is that possible if the scooter exploded in the hallway?

"He had two electric scooters and one gas scooter. All three of them were in his apartment," I don't know of anyplace where it's okay to have a gas powered vehicle of any sort inside your apartment in NYC.

At this point I am of the opinion that something (maybe one of the battery packs, maybe not) somehow triggered a gasoline fire from the gas powered scooter. While no less a tragedy, it paints an entirely different picture.

Tragic and very misleading. Not an e-bike......an e-scooter. Sparks and gasoline are not a good combination.....I've seen lawn mowers explode and people injured. I suspect this scooter was being charged indoors....not being watched properly and something went terribly wrong. Calling this accident an ebike explosion is very misleading.

https://www.cbsnews.com/newyork/new...-hospitalized-after-overnight-fire-in-harlem/

I don’t charge any lithium batteries when I’m sleeping. Have had some individual 18650s get hot, but never a fire.. yet.

Very sad. In London the local transit authority now refuses to take electric scooters as luggage on any of their services because of a previous fire. No mention of e-bikes though.

Sadly, too many people who buy these bikes do not know how to properly care for the batteries. They have to be monitored and they should never be discharged more than 80%-ish (varies by battery). Kids do not know this and they ride their scooter until there is nothing left, then plug right into the the charger while it is still hot. This is precisely how batteries explode.

I was going to buy an ebike battery from the company that posted this:

ONLY CHARGE THIS BATTERY IN A PLACE WHERE YOU WOULDN’T MIND STARTING A FIRE. NEVER LEAVE A CHARGING BATTERY HOME ALONE. Some people put their battery and charger in a BBQ grill with the lid on so that if anything bad happens it would be contained. There are also ammo-boxes and safe, metal boxes for charging battery packs. Basically, use your head.

Rad Power Bikes disputes State Farm fire claim

"He had two electric scooters and one gas scooter. All three of them were in his apartment," I don't know of anyplace where it's okay to have a gas powered vehicle of any sort inside your apartment in NYC.
At this point I am of the opinion that something (maybe one of the battery packs, maybe not) somehow triggered a gasoline fire from the gas powered scooter. While no less a tragedy, it paints an entirely different picture.
Agreed. Not just NYC, either. FWIW: To my knowledge, most homeowners' or renters' insurances will be VOID if any gas-powered vehicle is stored inside, even if the gas tank is empty or removed. Insurance with an attached garage usually costs more. Distance to the nearest fire station may be a factor in insurance pricing. Check your policies, and/or check with the agent. Local laws or codes may also be in the picture. I would expect ebikes to get the attention of insurance companies soon, if not now. Stay safe.

Interesting article:

The gist of the piece is that blame for fires should not be placed on ebikes but on batteries, and that instead of placing more regulations on bikes, the federal government should step up and place minimum quality and safety standards on batteries sold in the US.

I can get behind that.

Back