The OLD Looking Ones...

AdvenJack

Local time
4:45 AM
I'm in my early 60s now, and I'd like to have/build a powered bike that's looks are inspired
by the early FN motorcycle in the first photo below. It's from model year 1911. BUT, I'd have
an electric motor of course, and the battery or batteries would be stored within a false gas
tank that is situated just as the FN's is. I won't concern myself with the "look" of the electric
motor initially. I will want the look of the 1911 FN's: handlebars, suspension front fork, frame
shape, the placement of the "false" gas tank, the style and placement of the seat. I'm thinking
a good starting point would be the M2600 model bicycle from worksmancycles.com as shown
in the photo below the 1911 FN. Top speed goal is high teens MPH on level ground. I welcome
all of your thoughts on how to get something like this completed and rolling!

1911 FN.png

Worksman UltraCommuter.png

Hello and Welcome @AdvenJack

I've been looking at that and wondering if one could take BBSHD or even a smaller hub drive motor and
place it sideways in something like that to run the shaft drive system.

I'd say you have your work cut out for you and keep us poted please.
Also Welcome to our humble home :)

Welcome AdvenJack!

That‘s a really cool project you’ve got planned. Do you have access to any of the antique components (headlamp, motor parts, etc) or are you planning on fashioning everything yourself?

I‘m trying to learn more about the 1911 FN you’re trying to replicate because I think it looks really cool.

Found this picture of the other side:

5A35BD9B-9DF1-425D-A047-08506A0A6907.jpeg

Do you know what the various levers and canister mounted on the right side of the bike are? I’d be interested to know.

Full disclaimer: I’m not a mechanic.

@Snoop the levers look like they would adjust the clutch and the throttle. That little glass thing looks likie the fuel shut off valve.

There was some human on YT that put a hub drive up fron but it wasnt sitting like this would need. Pretty wild stuff.

LOL I keep lookin at it and wondering how we could do a BBSHD build for that shaft drive :ROFLMAO:

@Snoop the levers look like they would adjust the clutch and the throttle. That little glass thing looks likie the fuel shut off valve.

There was some human on YT that put a hub drive up fron but it wasnt sitting like this would need. Pretty wild stuff.

LOL I keep lookin at it and wondering how we could do a BBSHD build for that shaft drive :ROFLMAO:
I think that Human Power correctly identified the levers. Regarding the “little glass thing”, that is probably an oiler. Many early motorcycles lacked an oil pump and used a “total loss , gravity system”. The scary thing, besides dripping oil everywhere, was that the oil flow was often regulated by the operator. Some even had a pump handle so that you could even provide more oil to the engine if you felt the need. These oil reservoirs were often built into the fuel tank. Even my 1940 Indian Scout had a partitioned tank, but by then, the engine had a fuel pump.

Thanks To Everyone for all the posts in response to my opener! Please allow me to stress that
I will NOT attempt to replicate the look of the gas engine with whichever electric motor that I
ultimately choose, at least initially. Nor will I initially go with shaft drive, as cool as they both look
to my eye!
I Do want to replicate the looks of the: handle bars, front fork, head lamp, upper 80% give or take,
of the frame shape, gas tank {it'll be a false tank, inside will be the battery, (batteries)} seat, and
the seat's positioning. As to parts, I am researching swap meets and the Antique Motorcycle Club
Of America. But really, I think that the head lamp and the handle bars are all that I need. The false
fuel tank can be fabricated to fit within the space that the Worksman Bike has with its configura-
tion.
As to what all the levers and other doohickeys do on the original FN, I'm somewhat familiar with
their functions, but with an electric motor, I won't need anywhere near as many levers and all.
In the picture below, the old Triumph also has the general lines and "looks" that draw me in. There
are differences that can be seen between the FN and the Triumph, but the "lines" of the two look
quite comparable to me.
Triumph.png

Or just get something already built like one of these?

Back