Testing and Diagnosing a Kit

hahncycles

Local time
1:26 PM
Hi,
I'm brand new to Ebikes, I bought a used conversion kit to install on my bike. It's a 36v 500w rear wheel motor that came with the motor, controller box, wiring harness and 3 SLA lead batteries. I purchased a new L ion battery and wired everything up and no response, does anyone have any suggestions on how to test which of these components are faulty and need to be replaced, I have a volt meter but don't know where to start. If you have advice or can point me to a posting that covers this I would appreciate it. Thanks!

Voltage on batteries would be item one.

Next, some details and hopefully pictures on the "wired everything up" part. This is likely where the problem lies. No mention of a display???

Did you personally see this kit WORKING, immediately before you bought it? Did it work with the SLA before you replaced the battery?

There are lots of threads on "It don't work", many start with "I just bought this", and a high percentage of those are "I just bought this, USED".

Your situation is far too generic at this point to lead to any specific solution.

Hi,
I'm brand new to Ebikes, I bought a used conversion kit to install on my bike. It's a 36v 500w rear wheel motor that came with the motor, controller box, wiring harness and 3 SLA lead batteries. I purchased a new L ion battery and wired everything up and no response, does anyone have any suggestions on how to test which of these components are faulty and need to be replaced, I have a volt meter but don't know where to start. If you have advice or can point me to a posting that covers this I would appreciate it. Thanks!
I'm going to start with some basics here and hopefully I won't come across as condescending or insulting. It sounds like you aren't especially familiar with electrical work and as such there are a few, basic, safety items of which I want to make you aware.

1) Volts x Amps = Watts Therefore if you have a 500 watt, 36v DC system you are working with (approximately) 13 amps of power and that is enough to give you a bad shock and, under the wrong circumstances, kill you so you must have respect for and use proper safety methods when working with something like eBike components.

Its really important to understand how to keep things insulated and isolated before you start messing around with a voltmeter or other tools trying to diagnose.

If you -are- going to go ahead and troubleshoot the battery pack DO IT OUTSIDE ON A NON-FLAMABLE SURFACE! If you accidentally short something out you don't want to take your house/workshop/etc out due to a runaway battery pack.

Back