Tern eLink D7i Electric Bicycle Review

Anton

Admin
Staff member
Local time
11:51 PM
Please leave your Tern eLink D7i Electric Bicycle reviews below.
Tern eLink D7i Electric Bicycle.jpg

I bought a Tern eLink for my commute to work which is about 15km. It has an 7 speed hub which is internal. It rode very well on the way home from the shop. The battery and motor are Bafang. I'll report back on how it goes on the ride to work.

I test road the eLink and the Vektron. The Vektron has hydraulic disc brakes but I preferred to ride the eLink. Nice bike, if I was going to shell out the money the eLink would be my first choice. It's a very nice bike!

Nice bike, looks like it'll take you a bit over an hour to work based on the top speed of the eLink. Bafang usually limit the max speed in the LCD display but it's also password protected and it voids your warranty even if you were to find a way to remove it.

A foldable ebike with a Bafang BBS Mid Drive sounds amazing, and especially with the 250 Watt motor. The rim brakes should be adequate at the speeds you'll be doing.

On my first communte to work and back I put about 52km on the bike which is more than the maximum range! I'm very happy with the bike. I took the long way home because I was having so much fun!

Nice, looks like a very solid ebike. I'd probably want from disc brakes due to the weight of the motor an battery but that's just my personal opinion. 25km/hr shutoff means they designed it for sale to the world.

Not sure how the cutoff works as I managed to push it up to 30km/hr. It 's great that I'm no longer sweaty when I get to work. I'm really looking forward to my commute now :)

After 3 yrs. of riding, its controller showed signs of dying fast. It provided power intermittently. Cost $350 and one month down time. Its going to be sold to stop the bleeding. The mechanic said controllers die about that time. Post purchase news! No way would any sales pitch include that.

After 3 yrs. of riding, its controller showed signs of dying fast. It provided power intermittently. Cost $350 and one month down time. Its going to be sold to stop the bleeding. The mechanic said controllers die about that time. Post purchase news! No way would any sales pitch include that.
Sorry to hear about your bad experience with the Tern eLink. I'm sure your review will be helpful to any other people who are thinking about purchasing this ebike.

I have an eLink. You might want to consider a high quality throttle lever ordered and installed by the ebike dealer. Mounted mine under the computer buttons, left thumb. My lights were sacrificed and removed. Can keep the rear as a reflector, connector is dangling, can be left attached. Since the ebike is heavy, I use the throttle when starting out everywhere in 4th or 5th gear, uphill to supplement the power level, on rocks and whenever I need to balance and steer better. Using throttle only uses a lot of battery power, because its Level 3.

Sorry to hear about your bad experience with the Tern eLink. I'm sure your review will be helpful to any other people who are thinking about purchasing this ebike.
I decided to run the Tern a bit longer after spending all that money on a proprietary controller. Lo and behold, the power now turns off at will about 4-5 times an hour. Takes 15 sec. to come back by pressing the power button repeatedly. I'm seriously thinking of getting a Swytch kit from the UK. Same power. Checked in with the ebike shop about the situation.

My Tern eLink dies intermittently for about 15 seconds each time. Sometimes it dies three times in a row. Other times it doesn't die or dies once or twice. It dies starting out, during and in intersections, coasting or pedalling. My dealer said they can help, if it occurred all the time, they dont have the daffiest, must occur during their test. On second controller, $300, took a month to get it and a week to program and install. Ready to give up ebikes. Other problems and posts.

Suggestion based on questioning a sales/quasi-mechanic: Change controllers every two years and batteries every three years without diagnosis of problems. Diagnosis costs. Or, trade or buy a new bike every two years before the controller dies.

Currently, waiting three weeks for a battery by truck and boat. Banned by plane. Considered/shopped for an ebike, but decided to keep my clunker. Currently can't use the throttle, mechanic is lost! An ebike is nothing without a throttle or get one with a torque sensor, not cadence sensor. Some bikes have both.

Back