Technically, it's an ebike.

Technically... it's not. It may be a two-wheeled vehicle and use electric motors.... but it's not an ebike (low-speed electric bicycle), and it can't ride on Class-1 biking infrastructure. It's an electric moped and that's fine if you want to play in traffic.

Take a closer look, it has pedals, cranks & chain, can be ridden without the motor propel it.

Take a closer look, it has pedals, cranks & chain, can be ridden without the motor propel it.
LOL! Sure, sure, sure... some numbnuts is going to ride this without the motor. Hysterical! There is more to it than that:

On August 30, 2019, the Deputy Director of the NPS, Exercising the Authority of the Director, issued Policy Memorandum 19-01, Electric Bicycles: The Memorandum defines an e-bike as “a two- or three-wheeled cycle with fully operable pedals and an electric motor of less than 750 watts that provides propulsion assistance.” This definition is consistent with the definition of “low-speed electric bicycle” in the Consumer Product Safety Act (15 U.S.C. 2085) and the definition of “electric bicycle” in the laws governing the Federal-Aid Highway Program (23 U.S.C. 217(j)(2), except that the definition in the Memorandum does not include requirements from those statutes that an e-bike may not exceed 100 pounds or reach 20 mph when powered solely by the motor. Instead, the Memorandum, consistent with the Secretary's Order and many states that have promulgated regulations for e-bikes, refers to a three-class system that limits the maximum assisted speed of an e-bike:
  • Class 1 electric bicycle means an electric bicycle equipped with a motor that provides assistance only when the rider is pedaling, and that ceases to provide assistance when the bicycle reaches the speed of 20 miles per hour.
  • Class 2 electric bicycle means an electric bicycle equipped with a motor that may be used exclusively to propel the bicycle, and that is not capable of providing assistance when the bicycle reaches the speed of 20 miles per hour.
  • Class 3 electric bicycle means an electric bicycle equipped with a motor that provides assistance only when the rider is pedaling, and that ceases to provide assistance when the bicycle reaches the speed of 28 miles per hour.

Nothing much new since 2002 when the CPSA defined an ebike. - https://www.congress.gov/107/plaws/publ319/PLAW-107publ319.pdf

It has equipment & drivetrain that allows it to be pedaled on its own, without the motor engaged; that's a human powered vehicle; whether a numbnut pedals it or not.

There you go, assuming that I don't own an ebike.
This thread is not about me.
Fact is you know nothing about me, so stop pretending like you do.
I don't pretend to know anything about you.
Stop deflecting and try to stay on topic if you can manage that.
A horn can be mounted on any bicycle or ebike.
Name calling is not wanted in this thread.

There you go, assuming that I don't own an ebike. This thread is not about me. Fact is you know nothing about me, so stop pretending like you do. I don't pretend to know anything about you. Stop deflecting and try to stay on topic if you can manage that. A horn can be mounted on any bicycle or ebike. Name calling is not wanted in this thread.
That's not an answer. By what you say all I can do is assume that you don't own or ride an ebike, since you don't seem to know the definition of an ebike, or where it originated. The thread topic is "Technically, it's an ebike" when in actuality it's not an ebike using the American 2002 CPSA definition of ebike. If I was any more "on topic" I'd need a condom. You're right I probably don't know you... but I know a lot of people like you, been trying to help them over the last 6 years while riding over 37K miles on an ebike. Can I assume that you know the saying, "You can lead a horse to water?" Just in case you haven't. - https://prnt.sc/zUwskKuKX_96 If you are interested I can provide a reading list.

Your question about me personally are irrelevant of topic for this thread.
But if you must know, I've been converting regular bicycles into ebikes since 2013.
I have worked in bicycle industry since the 80's. I've pedaled well over 200k miles in my life time so far, I don't really keep track anymore.

To assume anything about anyone that you have no clue of, that's your mistake. No excuse to keep making the same mistake over.

Regardless of definition from CPSA, a two-wheel vehicle that can be powered by human and motor, that's the definition of an ebike.

I have no interest in you, nor anything that you have to say.

Well, that went to hell pretty quickly. ;)
It was useful to see the bike classes restated, tho' I'll forget the details by Tuesday.
It isn't surprising that several Federal agencies have ruled on the subject at some length.
It also isn't surprising that someone will push the envelope.
But it will only be an issue when someone tries to ride that contraption on a public street, or a designated rail trail.
Then someone will have to make a decision; almost certainly no one here.
Dan

Well, that went to hell pretty quickly. ;)...
I think you're missing the point, Dan. The original definition of an ebike was written back in 2002 by the CPSA and greatly benefits American ebike riders that know what it means to ride a bicycle, and now a Class-1 ebike anywhere they want. I can ride anywhere in America where bikes are allowed which btw is almost everywhere. I don't want people that are ignorant of the subject to confuse others that aren't educated on the subject. The CPSA definition was written before any other federal regulations and that's the magic. Stick with their guidelines and you will always have a Low-speed electric bicycle (LSEB) and can ride everywhere bikes can ride with no tags, license, or fees of any kind. I'm all for people building lightweight electric motorcycles or mopeds for riding surface streets if that's what they want to do. I ride in traffic every ride but I don't enjoy it. What I don't want to is see anything over a Class-1 ebike on pedestrian paths, or national parks. The stupidity started when small online ebike "assemblers" started selling Class-2 and Class-3 ebike to people without educating them on the legalities of riding in their particular state. It's gone so far that people see two wheels and an electric motor and it gets the label "ebike" because they don't understand that technically... it's not. Ride safe, Dan.

Not disputing a bit of that, and am happy (as noted) to see a review of the categories. Personally, my bike is Class 1, and that keeps me on the side of the angels. I'm not going to be the bike police, regarding what others are riding.
Hence my point; when someone shows up in/on something beyond the pale, it's not our call.
But it doesn't hurt to be knowledgeable.
Be well.
Dan

BBassett....s**tting on another thread. Seems to be a pattern here... go post some more boring ride pics...:rolleyes:

Dude seems to think everything evolves around his opinion and whatever he has to say is 100% right and applies to every single person on earth.
Forum troll.

Interesting, thanks for sharing! I used to watch that channel a lot when I was a motorcyclist; really good editing and production.

FortNine is one of the few channels that I actually subscribe on YT.
After 20+ years as a motorcyclist, I think the ebikes have over taken more of my motorcycle time along with the pandemic.
I work with hospitals and this is not the time you want to visit ERs if you can avoid it.

I have an electric moped (thing weighs ~200 lbs) with a 21MPH top speed and no pedal assist necessary. It can pedal but no one is going to pedal this at about a 3:1 final drive. Heck, what do I have then? I've driven this on sidewalks, roads...passed Police with my boy on the proper fold out rear seat with enclosed rear tire on either surface. No one cares anymore with gas at $6.50 a gallon here.

As long as you don't ride like an ass... but that thing can't legally ride on pedestrian paths in America. Most of the "ebikes" discussed here are exactly what you have little electric motorcycles, at least you understand. Ride safe.

Technically... it's not. It may be a two-wheeled vehicle and use electric motors.... but it's not an ebike (low-speed electric bicycle), and it can't ride on Class-1 biking infrastructure. It's an electric moped and that's fine if you want to play in traffic.
Good to know this info, thanks.

Back