Tandem Bike conversion

Local time
3:10 PM
It wasn't my first option, but a nice tandem bike has come up and was wondering what general thoughts anyone might have in converting it? Power levels needed to move two on a bike, any other considerations would be appreciated! Thanks Much!

How fast you trying to go? How much you trying to spend? I've pulled a bike and rider behind me on my ebike for a few miles home and it's only 1500 watts. It was no thrill ride lol but we made it. I'd say it's totally doable with room for lots of large batteries! You got me thinking i could use one myself. If it's electric it wouldn't be that bad just to drive yourself as well if you didn't have a partner or needed to drop someone off or pick someone up.

How fast you trying to go? How much you trying to spend? I've pulled a bike and rider behind me on my ebike for a few miles home and it's only 1500 watts. It was no thrill ride lol but we made it. I'd say it's totally doable with room for lots of large batteries! You got me thinking i could use one myself. If it's electric it wouldn't be that bad just to drive yourself as well if you didn't have a partner or needed to drop someone off or pick someone up.
Not looking for high-speed on this one. But there are plenty of room for batteries. How does one install that single speed on a rear hub?
But that super cheapo set-up on YouTube may actually work better on a tandem, with all that chain traveling to and fro....

I have a vintage Schwinn tandem, with a 2000 watt rear direct drive hub motor (Crystalite with a Cycle Analyst display). That is a very expensive set up, but it will pull 2 average size people up most any hill. It’s Heavy, but with two people peddling the range can be better than regular diamond frame bike. The speed is probably faster than you want to go. I’m going to sell it, as we just don’t use it. I live in Michigan, if you’re interested let me know.

I have a vintage Schwinn tandem, with a 2000 watt rear direct drive hub motor (Crystalite with a Cycle Analyst display). That is a very expensive set up, but it will pull 2 average size people up most any hill. It’s Heavy, but with two people peddling the range can be better than regular diamond frame bike. The speed is probably faster than you want to go. I’m going to sell it, as we just don’t use it. I live in Michigan, if you’re interested let me know.
I'm heading into Taylor Michigan tomorrow, as it turns out.
And as far as speed concerns, that's what a throttle is for, eh?:)
I'm sorta price-conscious (read: Tighter than a cow's ass in fly season), but no doubt I'd be interested.

Hello Penfield, this tandem is about a 1970 model. Here’s a similar one I found on eBay for $225 (non-electric) https://www.ebay.com/itm/1541022936...1291&msclkid=f620000a05281c00667f605954018324
My bike is not quite as rusty, but it’s no looker! The components, new, are distributed by Grintechnoloies.com and the replacement value is over $2000..... it’s REALLY good stuff. Which, I realize, not everyone is looking for! I think it’s a bargain at $1,350 since a new REALLY cheapo one is in the area of $3,500. I don’t have a pic, but if you’re interested, I’ll ride it up the basement steps, get it into the daylight, and take a few. BTW, I live in Howell. About an hour from Taylor.

Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
Hey, that's a deeluxe! That would be a great candidate, if it weren't 10 hours away.
Woke up sniffling and coughing this morning, not going anywhere today. Hopefully it's the big change in the weather.
On second look, it has the rear drum brake! Do a mid-drive or front wheel hub only, if that were the choice. That drum brake makes the bike!

The disk you see in the rear wheel is a hub motor only, I don’t know of any hub motor with a drum brake included. It has a rear rim brake and a front disc brake. Get better and stay safe. F

The disk you see in the rear wheel is a hub motor only, I don’t know of any hub motor with a drum brake included. It has a rear rim brake and a front disc brake. Get better and stay safe. F
The green tandem needing some polishing has a rear drum brake was the bike I was referring to. That's why it is a DeLuxe. So for that reason, I'd want to put a mid-drive on it, were I to take it on. That drum brake is a wonderful conversation piece and it works well, to boot!

Back