Suspension seat post advice?

Snoop

Local time
5:38 AM
Regardless of how happy I am with my Aventon Pace 500, one drawback is it’s lack of suspension (not a big knock as it is meant more as a road/commuter bike. Looking for heavy off-roading? Get the Aventure).

I am thinking about adding a seat suspension, and browsing thru Amazon I am seeing all different styles, and cost points from $29 to $350.

Is there a particular style / feature which anyone would recommend?

Thx!

I bought the Satori Anamaris a couple years back for the original xp for around $65-70. Over 4K miles on two different bikes and still making life much smoother.

Two years later it’s nearly twice the price ($120) and I’d buy one again if I had to replace.

Links to Amazon may include affiliate code. If you click on an Amazon link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
Links to Amazon may include affiliate code. If you click on an Amazon link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
I went with a Cane Creek eeSilk Carbon seat post on my Yamaha Cross Core. The bike is used as mainly as a flat bar gravel ebike. I had two spinal surgeries last year and I am 66 years old, so regardless of the high price, I wanted to be good to my spine.

The ride is not really plush, (I wasn't going for plush), but the combination of Maxxis 40 mm Receptor tires kept at 40 psi, Fizik Aliente saddle with Ti rails and the eeSilk seat post makes the ride comfortable. I never notice the seat post moving, but it takes the edge off the hits, big and small, and that was what I was after. I also use a Red Shift stem which I like very much.

Neither the seat post or stem added much weight or reduced efficiency, (not that I could notice or feel). The non-Carbon eeSilk Gravel post would probably be a better value, but I bought the Carbon to help with higher frequencies as well. I can't say for certain if that was money well spent because I have not ridden both. I can say that I don't regret buying the Carbon version.

As you can see, the stem and seat post don't really stand out. Subtle and effective shock absorption. I like keeping it simple.

I have heard good things about the Red Shift and Kinekt posts as well, but I have no personal experience with either.

Attachments

• unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    413.5 KB · Views: 134
I went with a Cane Creek eeSilk Carbon seat post on my Yamaha Cross Core. The bike is used as mainly as a flat bar gravel ebike. I had two spinal surgeries last year and I am 66 years old, so regardless of the high price, I wanted to be good to my spine.

The ride is not really plush, (I wasn't going for plush), but the combination of Maxxis 40 mm Receptor tires kept at 40 psi, Fizik Aliente saddle with Ti rails and the eeSilk seat post makes the ride comfortable. I never notice the seat post moving, but it takes the edge off the hits, big and small, and that was what I was after. I also use a Red Shift stem which I like very much.

Neither the seat post or stem added much weight or reduced efficiency, (not that I could notice or feel). The non-Carbon eeSilk Gravel post would probably be a better value, but I bought the Carbon to help with higher frequencies as well. I can't say for certain if that was money well spent because I have not ridden both. I can say that I don't regret buying the Carbon version.

As you can see, the stem and seat post don't really stand out. Subtle and effective shock absorption. I like keeping it simple.

I have heard good things about the Red Shift and Kinekt posts as well, but I have no personal experience with either.
Great looking bike, I regret going full suspension, in hindsight should have done what you did. (and that was after buying a $150 rear shock)
I found full suspension wasn't the right weight/comfort compromise.
Ah well.....

I finally got around to installing my new seat suspension post. I was kind of afraid to do so, as I was worried I wouldn‘t be able to get my seat location/tilt back “just right” the way I like it, but I think I did a pretty good job.

I learned that it’s kind of a two person operation as, with the suspension element, you need somebody to observe where the seat position sits as you’re bearing weight on it.

I ended up going with the Redshift ShockStop from Amazon for about $230. Just needed an additional small shim tube to fit my bike.

I’m really happy with it so far. There are a ton of “settings”, giving the rider control over how “soft/bouncy” they want the suspension to be. This is done via a simple twist on the post, and/or by adding/removing a second internal spring.

I can’t believe the difference this makes. In all honesty, given that almost all of my riding is on flat asphalt, I probably didn’t need it, but every little bump in the road is pretty much eliminated now, and my backside just feels more comfortable.

I bought the Suntour seat post and have been very happy with the improvement. I also added the cloud 9 seat. That's probably as good as I'm going to get it as far as comfort goes. I still feel it at the pelvic bone area after about 10 miles. I think I need more meat on my butt!

I bought the Suntour seat post and have been very happy with the improvement. I also added the cloud 9 seat. That's probably as good as I'm going to get it as far as comfort goes. I still feel it at the pelvic bone area after about 10 miles. I think I need more meat on my butt!

LOL. I think there is something to be said about conditioning a backside. :) The last few springtimes when I began my riding, my a$$ hurt pretty decently after each commute. But after a couple weeks, it pretty much went away.

I ended up buying an alloy eeSilk+ for my eBike and moving my Carbon eeSilk over to my gravel bike. The Carbon eeSilk was fine, but the new eeSilk+ creaks and is noticeably sloppy.

I didn’t want to put up with the creaking and slop any more, so I replaced it with a Redshift. I only have one ride on it, but so far I am very happy with it. It is quiet and smooth and it functions better that the eeSilk.

I am disappointed that Cane Creek hasn’t recalled their seat posts. They admit that they are flawed, but that doesn’t help their customers.

Regardless of how happy I am with my Aventon Pace 500, one drawback is it’s lack of suspension (not a big knock as it is meant more as a road/commuter bike. Looking for heavy off-roading? Get the Aventure).

I am thinking about adding a seat suspension, and browsing thru Amazon I am seeing all different styles, and cost points from $29 to $350.

Is there a particular style / feature which anyone would recommend?

Thx!
I have an Aventon pace 500 and I installed a suspension fork 160 bucks and a suntour ncx suspension seat post 90 bucks and cloud 9 seat 40 bucks and the bike is perfect. Did 3000 miles on that setup and I love it.

I have an Aventon pace 500 and I installed a suspension fork 160 bucks and a suntour ncx suspension seat post 90 bucks and cloud 9 seat 40 bucks and the bike is perfect. Did 3000 miles on that setup and I love it.
I'm most interested in what suspension fork you used? I've been researching for some time without much luck. Thanks, Spads

I tried to put a suspension seat on my bike but it had a spacer in the suspension seat. Because of this it made the seat too high for me so I gave it to a friend.

I'm most interested in what suspension fork you used? I've been researching for some time without much luck. Thanks, Sp

I'm most interested in what suspension fork you used? I've been researching for some time without much luck. Thanks, Spads
BUCKLOS 26/27.5/29 Travel 120mm MTB Air Suspension Fork, Rebound Adjust 1 1/8 Straight/Tapered Tube QR 9mm Manual/Remote Lockout XC AM Ultralight Mountain Bike Front Forks https://a.co/d/aTFHelB

BUCKLOS 26/27.5/29 Travel 120mm MTB Air Suspension Fork, Rebound Adjust 1 1/8 Straight/Tapered Tube QR 9mm Manual/Remote Lockout XC AM Ultralight Mountain Bike Front Forks https://a.co/d/aTFHelB
Make sure you buy the tapered and correct size of your tire. Do you have hydraulic disc brakes?

Back