Suggestions on how to attach phone/camera to my Lectric XP step-through to film a rattling noise?

SDGuitarMan

Local time
12:54 AM
If you've seen my other thread, my Lectric XP 2.0 Step-Through makes a strong vibration intermittently when I'm accelerating under load, like when I initially start moving on an uphill incline either with just the throttle or with pedal assist set at 2 or higher.

I've replaced the rear wheel thinking it was the motor and although this did make it better, there is still a vibration that's very audible and can be felt.

I'd like to attach a cellphone to the bike with the camera pointing toward the pedals as this is the area where it seems to be coming from, although I can't be sure. I'd like to get an up-close video of the sound to see if Lectric can figure out where it's coming from and what's causing it. I have a regular handlebar phone mount but I don't see a safe way of mounting that somewhere, like maybe on the rear rack, that would hold the phone securely enough that it wouldn't fall when I'm moving.

I'll keep messing with it but I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions to save me some time and effort in figuring something out.

Have you called Lectric??? Is your bike still under warrenty?? I have the same bike......no problems????
Yeah, the bike is 3 weeks old. The stock wheel was bent so they replaced it. The second wheel is when I started noticing the noise. The third wheel doesn't seem to have completely fixed it. I'm starting to believe something is rattling/buzzing.

They already tried telling me it was normal but I insisted it was not so they sent the third wheel. But it's still noisy so I'm sure they will try to tell me it's normal again.

All I know is I bought it as a gift for my GF and she is not happy. The one I bought for me is perfect. No rattles or grinding noises meanwhile hers is a rattletrap. Like I mentioned on another thread, if I had bought this from anywhere with a return policy I would have sent it back already. But Lectric's return policy is horrible. Buyer beware I guess. I "saved" money by not buying another brand or from a local shop but the aggravation hasn't been worth it.

Also, even though they are supposed to have the same components, the derailleurs on them are different. The sprockets are different models and on mine, when coasting the wheel is perfectly quiet. On hers when coasting you hear the usual fast click-click-click-click sounds that are normal, but still, mine is quiet as a mouse. Hers is a white step-through model, mine is a black high-step. They also came with different tires for whatever that's worth.

Not happy with the white step-through's quality at all.

So I wasn't able to find a good way to attach a phone to the bike but I did attach it to mine and set it to record her riding in front of me. The road and wind noise is annoying but as loud as those are, you can still hear the grinding/scraping sound over it if you listen closely.

Here are the sections you can hear it best - 14 seconds, 24 seconds, 33 seconds, 47 through 55 seconds. The noise being made by her bike is the one that sounds like a shovel dragging on asphalt.

Mine doesn't do this. I've checked and rechecked every screw, nut, and bolt. Only thing I haven't done is add padding to the battery in case it's the battery vibrating but it doesn't sound like it to me.

Yeah, the bike is 3 weeks old. The stock wheel was bent so they replaced it. The second wheel is when I started noticing the noise. The third wheel doesn't seem to have completely fixed it. I'm starting to believe something is rattling/buzzing.

They already tried telling me it was normal but I insisted it was not so they sent the third wheel. But it's still noisy so I'm sure they will try to tell me it's normal again.

All I know is I bought it as a gift for my GF and she is not happy. The one I bought for me is perfect. No rattles or grinding noises meanwhile hers is a rattletrap. Like I mentioned on another thread, if I had bought this from anywhere with a return policy I would have sent it back already. But Lectric's return policy is horrible. Buyer beware I guess. I "saved" money by not buying another brand or from a local shop but the aggravation hasn't been worth it.

Also, even though they are supposed to have the same components, the derailleurs on them are different. The sprockets are different models and on mine, when coasting the wheel is perfectly quiet. On hers when coasting you hear the usual fast click-click-click-click sounds that are normal, but still, mine is quiet as a mouse. Hers is a white step-through model, mine is a black high-step. They also came with different tires for whatever that's worth.

Not happy with the white step-through's quality at all.

So I wasn't able to find a good way to attach a phone to the bike but I did attach it to mine and set it to record her riding in front of me. The road and wind noise is annoying but as loud as those are, you can still hear the grinding/scraping sound over it if you listen closely.

Here are the sections you can hear it best - 14 seconds, 24 seconds, 33 seconds, 47 through 55 seconds. The noise being made by her bike is the one that sounds like a shovel dragging on asphalt.

Mine doesn't do this. I've checked and rechecked every screw, nut, and bolt. Only thing I haven't done is add padding to the batte ry in case it's the battery vibrating but it doesn't sound like it to me.
That sounds like the rotor or part of the motor to me but I'm no expert.

That sounds like the rotor or part of the motor to me but I'm no expert.
You mean the brake rotor? It's definitely not that. Right at 46-47 seconds you hear my brakes but after that, the noise you hear that isn't wind is the bike in front of me. On that bike the brakes are perfectly adjusted and the noise only happens when accelerating under load. I think you can hear it most clearly at about the 50 second mark.

It's also definitely not the motor. I took the wheel from my bike, which doesn't make any strange noises, and put it on the other bike and it still made the noise. So based on that, it's either something rattling on the other bike or the controller is somehow causing the motor to make that noise.

You mean the brake rotor? It's definitely not that. Right at 46-47 seconds you hear my brakes but after that, the noise you hear that isn't wind is the bike in front of me. On that bike the brakes are perfectly adjusted and the noise only happens when accelerating under load. I think you can hear it most clearly at about the 50 second mark.

It's also definitely not the motor. I took the wheel from my bike, which doesn't make any strange noises, and put it on the other bike and it still made the noise. So based on that, it's either something rattling on the other bike or the controller is somehow causing the motor to make that noise.
I forgot you switched the wheels. I've seen similar posts about a "dragging a shovel over pavement" sound coming from the motor. I don't know enough about controllers to know if that's what causes it or not

You sure can hear a noise that shouldn't be there. That sound clip should help someone in the know figure out the problem. I have the Lectric XPremium and have great luck with the warranty dept. Even after a year they are sending me out a free Display because the one I have is starting to have a bright spot on the screen. I didn't realize how loud the hub motors are. I have a mid drive Lectric and it is whisper quiet. Surely someone at Lectric could tell you what needs fixing if they hear this recording you made. I would like to know if you were able to fix this problem and what was the problem. I am very curious.

Back