Suggestions for electric bicycle

NotFromAJedi

Local time
11:48 PM
I am looking to purchase an electric assisted bike for an older woman. She is 70, and rarely bikes, but she likes to do these 10 mile long paved paths in her neighborhood. As time catches up, the hills get a little tough, so some assistance would help. Here are some stats and what she is looking for:
Weight: 155 lbs
Height: About 5'9"
Range needed: 10-15 miles max
Max speed: 15 mph is fine
A few gears to be able to handle different slopes (or are gears obsolete now with e bikes?)
Mostly pedal assist, she wants to ride but a tiny bit of assistance to counter the increased weight, with a way to boost up hills.
The lighter the better, this has to go on a bike rack on the back of a car.
Trying to stay under $800, but that is probably very negotiable as there is no reference for how much these bikes cost.
We can put it together easily enough.

Thank you for your help. Live in NY, USA area if that helps.

One possibility might be something like the RAD mini. I believe it has 20" by 4" wide tires. The $800 price isn't very realistic, double it and that should put you in the ballpark. Note that there are cheaper e bikes out there so research is useful. Most of ones she might like have a geared rear hub motor. Using the gears will increase the life of the motor so gears are not obslete.

For $800 budget, there are limited choices for lightweight ebikes.
Smaller ebikes with 20", 16" or 14" wheels are likely to allow more choices at $800 budget.
Ebike with gears are the most utilitarian, for in case you run out of battery juice, you can still pedal it, up a hill if need to.
If storage space and lightweight are priority, look into a folding ebike like $699 Fiido D2S:
https://www.fiido.com/products/fiido-d2s-folding-electric-city-bike

I'm a regular commuter in NYC 5-boro, I take my ebike onto subway trains.
Lifting a small, folding ebike and walking short stairs up & down the subway platform is manageable, but not particularly fun.

Ebikes with 20x4.0" wheels/tires are very heavy, can weigh upwards of 80 lb., not easily lifted even onto a car rack.
They are great for mud, sand, snow, tires can run with low pressure to offer comfort & traction, but a bit overkill for pavement or hardpack, rail-to-trails.

Decent option for the price on Woot today:

For $800 budget, there are limited choices for lightweight ebikes.
Smaller ebikes with 20", 16" or 14" wheels are likely to allow more choices at $800 budget.
Ebike with gears are the most utilitarian, for in case you run out of battery juice, you can still pedal it, up a hill if need to.
If storage space and lightweight are priority, look into a folding ebike like $699 Fiido D2S:
https://www.fiido.com/products/fiido-d2s-folding-electric-city-bike

I'm a regular commuter in NYC 5-boro, I take my ebike onto subway trains.
Lifting a small, folding ebike and walking short stairs up & down the subway platform is manageable, but not particularly fun.

Ebikes with 20x4.0" wheels/tires are very heavy, can weigh upwards of 80 lb., not easily lifted even onto a car rack.
They are great for mud, sand, snow, tires can run with low pressure to offer comfort & traction, but a bit overkill for pavement or hardpack, rail-to-trails.

Decent option for the price on Woot today:

Thank you for the reply. I live in NYC as well, I scooter everywhere, but this is for someone on Long Island out east. It doesn't have to fold, but does need to go on a car rack, 80 lbs might be tough for her. She just needs enough assist for her normal rides, but maybe there isn't an E-bike out there for that?

Are there add on kits to normal mountain/hybrid bikes that are pedal normal but can give a boost with just throttle accelerate only.

Are there add on kits to normal mountain/hybrid bikes that are pedal normal but can give a boost with just throttle accelerate only.

With what's available out there for $800, you're better off just to buy a complete ebike.
Sure if you know what you're doing, have the right tools, have the time to research for conversion kit, battery, you can build yourself an ebike by conversion.
But with the popularity of ebikes for the last few years, there are some very good values of complete ebikes at below $1500.

Prior to pandemic, I bought my FIL (82 y-o) in Queen, a 20" wheel ebike so he can tool around, ride it to his favorite fishing spot, small grocery runs, and he enjoyed it until the pandemic hit. He lives around Elmhurst, seeing trailers storing dead bodies really put a damper on his e-cycling.
Fat tire really offers stability and decent suspension for elderly folks who may want that for being comfortable on their first ebike experience.
Last thing you want is an elderly person taking a tumble on an ebike and have to go to an ER during pandemic.
You want an ebike that they feel comfortable controlling, smaller wheel ebikes usually can provide that sense of security.
JB2vXRD.jpg

One possibility might be something like the RAD mini. I believe it has 20" by 4" wide tires. The $800 price isn't very realistic, double it and that should put you in the ballpark. Note that there are cheaper e bikes out there so research is useful. Most of ones she might like have a geared rear hub motor. Using the gears will increase the life of the motor so gears are not obslete.
The rad mini step thru 2 is no longer made.must look for a used one

With what's available out there for $800, you're better off just to buy a complete ebike.
Sure if you know what you're doing, have the right tools, have the time to research for conversion kit, battery, you can build yourself an ebike by conversion.
But with the popularity of ebikes for the last few years, there are some very good values of complete ebikes at below $1500.

Prior to pandemic, I bought my FIL (82 y-o) in Queen, a 20" wheel ebike so he can tool around, ride it to his favorite fishing spot, small grocery runs, and he enjoyed it until the pandemic hit. He lives around Elmhurst, seeing trailers storing dead bodies really put a damper on his e-cycling.
Fat tire really offers stability and decent suspension for elderly folks who may want that for being comfortable on their first ebike experience.
Last thing you want is an elderly person taking a tumble on an ebike and have to go to an ER during pandemic.
You want an ebike that they feel comfortable controlling, smaller wheel ebikes usually can provide that sense of security.
JB2vXRD.jpg
I have this same bike with the name of wtva 750 watt motor. Love the bike also sold as a vtuvia

Back