Speed limits on ebikes...

reef

Local time
11:50 PM
Whilst driving around at 15 mph the maximum UK speed limit for EAPC`s I get overtaken by people on ordinary bikes, !!! so I think, why cant we do 20 mph if ordinary bikes can !!!! whats the difference ???

I quite agree with you but, with the interfering 'Nanny State' government we have now we would probably end up being regulated. The thin end of the wedge then once Health and Safety get involved we would probably have to satisfy the same conditions as a 1200cc motorbike rider.

I think the best form of action is to do nothing, keep our own counsel and pretend that we conform to the current laws. One idiot on a faster machine hitting an old lady and we could all suffer. Keep to the speed limit (when they can see you, of course!)

Of course as things stand you can go 20 mph, you just have to do it under your own steam, like the 'ordinary' cyclist. I've had my 2006 Giant Twist Comfort up to 41 mph... it helps to have a long, steep hill to ride down though. Since electric assist bikes are almost always at least slightly heavier than non-power assisted bikes, they'll require more effort to go over 15 mph on the flat or up hill than comparible non-power assisted bikes but rider fitness has alot to do with things. Many years ago my brother won the local community bike race on my old 3 speed hub geared bike - he was competing with many riders on sleeker, more high-tech 10 speed bikes (told you it was a long time ago). I've been overtaken a few times by riders without power assistance, once by a lycra-clad rider on a racing style bike going up a hill. Since we can use shared use and cycling lanes, it's important that our electric assist bikes will blend in with MOST cycles and don't terrorise pedestrians we cycle by - a 15 mph top powered speed helps to achieve this.

Well because its comparatively new concept. Just like horse and carts being able to go more than the 5mph of the first cars with a man walking in front waving a red flag. They are,of course,protecting us from ourselves as usual. When DID the nanny state start? The prospect is more likely that this was drawn up by a beaurocrat in a bowler and cycle clips with his briefcase crudely strapped onto the back of his 1940 Dutch rod brake iron monstrosity of a pushbike, who's journey was accomplished at just over walking pace. We can't expect decent legislature from desk-jockeys who have never even ridden a pushbike let alone and electric one. They also can't see why we shouldn't have 50cc petrol moped and pay road tax and compulsory insurance, and pay petrol tax of course as well, if we want to do a bit more than a measly 15mph. They're not green, they're GREEDY. SOON they will contrive a way to tax electric assisted pushbikes the more popular they are and the more sensible they see they are when the penny drops!

This is why I used electric assist to "flatten the hills" for the first 2-3 months of cycling and then as my legs totally outclassed the assist and I removed it. OK, so up some big hills I do miss the assist, but I now cruise at 18-22mph on the flat, and downhill manage 25-35mph depending on degree of slope.

I'm currently a pretty fit 45 years old, but as I age (or if I suffer a serious illness or injury) I'll probably go for electric assist again, but the system needs to be efficient and light so that it helps on the hills without hindering on the flat.

Back