Soon to be ebike owner questions - possible to pull a child bike stroller?

Datarock

Local time
2:56 PM
Hey everyone!

The wife and I are both looking to be E-Bike owners. As we are not hardcore rider's, we were thinking of doing a single gear E-Bike and let the different levels of throttle assist as needed. We only have a few small hills and it's mostly flat.

Do you guys think it would be possible to pull a child bike stroller behind me like I do on my mountain bike on a single speed motor driving bike?

We were looking around the $800-$1000 each range. Any thoughts appreciated!

Depending on your weight, budget of $800-1000 should be fine if you're not heavy and the child you're towing is not heavy and you're not setting out to do high speed operation.
Is there any specifc model/brand that you're looking to purchase?
If operation of your rides are mostly on pavement & hardpack trails, that would also require less motor output.

Personally, I feel that belt drive should be more practical for a mid-motor ebike, since mid-motor require a a chain or belt to keep the bike moving.
Hub motor ebikes can operate just fine (with throttle) even when the chain is off the bike, no particular need for extra durability of belt drive.

The Ride1Up Roadster V2 would do the trick nicely @ $1045 on sale and in stock, but I'd spend the extra $50 for their Core 5 for the disc brakes and 7-speed derailleur.

Hey everyone!

The wife and I are both looking to be E-Bike owners. As we are not hardcore rider's, we were thinking of doing a single gear E-Bike and let the different levels of throttle assist as needed. We only have a few small hills and it's mostly flat.

Do you guys think it would be possible to pull a child bike stroller behind me like I do on my mountain bike on a single speed motor driving bike?

First I’d recommend you check local laws for ebikes

Hey everyone!

For your uses, I would buy one of each: Lectric XP Lite (single speed, $800) and XP 2.0. ($1200?)

The hub motor bikes in your price range will struggle to tow the weight, as hub motor bikes' motors are wound for top speed, not torque. They really benefit from lower gearing so your pedaling can help at lower speeds, uphill, or with a heavy load. The one who pulls the trailer would have the geared bike, the other one would have the single speed.

I have a multi-speed bike with 7 gears, but my wife can't get straight the difference between the electric speeds and the mechanical ones, and she's intimidated by the (71 lb.) weight, so I plan to set her up with a single speed Lectric XP Lite. (46 lbs.) that single speed will also have the benefit of being easily loadable in a car's trunk, while the heavier multi-speed will likely never get folded again.

I may be in a minority but I ride my E bike the same way that I rode it before I added the mid drive motor kit. No throttle, it is strictly pedal assist . I use my gears constantly and I cannot imagine that you would not need gears towing a trailer. But I have to admit I have never owned a single speed E bike so maybe I'm missing something.

I own a Ride1up roadster - single speed rear geared hub. I think it is a bad candidate for towing a trailer. Low speed torque is weak, top tube is tall, and the gearing is very high (hard to pedal … hills would be tough!). Very hard to control at low speeds (tough to do a track stand, which I can do on most bikes). Love it for fast pedaling though! What a blast, and so far reliable.

Back