Someone tried to steal my new bike, damaged wiring slightly, need help determining if salvageable

klauts

Local time
10:24 AM
Hey everyone! So essentially someone tried to steal my bike and ended up exposing 4 of the wires metal and all... I believe it must have shorted before I cut power to the bike.

After getting the individual wires wrapped up securely and powering up the bike I learned that:
the motor still works, but only using the throttle.

The speedometer reads 0

The pedal assist does not turn the motor on although the laser lights on the PAS do turn on when pedaling...

The bikes computer auto powers off after 5 minutes of a 0 reading so I can't even really just ride it with throttle

Do we think it's an issue with the controller getting fried by a short? The PAS sensor or Hall sensor getting fried?

A combination? Lol I'm desperate and clueless here...

Hello, just an idea, but have you considered purchasing a new wiring harness?? $25 or so and you could be set, but playing with compromised insulation on high current motors is a recipe for disaster. The resulting "SMOKE" signals usually spell out $$$$$$

Klauts,

Since I do not know the bike, I would agree with getting a new wiring harness, rather than repairing the damaged wires.
Just a thought, but if the thieves see that the bike is securely locked to something solid, they probably won't waste time trying to get it running.
They usually go for the easy targets. The next set of thieves may simply toss the bike into a truck, and then tinker later.

So sorry to hear that someone tried to take your bike, it doesn't matter what the ride is, if its better than what they have its a "Move Up". Spend the money on Multiple locks and ALWAYS use them if you want to reduce the chance of losing your ride. Also don't leave notes to taunt them, story years ago from "NYC" when car radio theft was a rampant smash and grab business, a person left a note on the dash that said "No Radio" window was smashed and note said "Get One"

Back