Solving E-Bike Theft in the Netherlands (SUPPORT NEEDED)

Haithem

Local time
10:54 AM
Hello everyone!
Since E-Bike theft has been significantly increasing in recent years I'm working on a potential idea to address E-Bike theft in the Netherlands and hopefully in various other countries as well! To do this I need your opinion on some of the safety concerns of owning an E-Bike and your general experience of using an E-Bike. I would greatly appreciate every input!

If you live in the Netherlands particularly or other European countries I need your participation in this 3 min survey.

https://forms.gle/wwNTVL8seJ1teSh88

Thank you so much, looking forward to hearing what you think and hopefully talking to some of you!

Hi there and thanks for sharing the survey with the forum. Hopefully there are some members from the EU here who can fill this out. Ebike theft is a big problem and may be a limiting factor for some people who would otherwise use this excellent mode of transport.

Great subject... I hope we get a lot of feedback on this issue. I'm a bit reluctant to ride anywhere I have to leave the bike unattended for any period of time for fear it might get stolen.

Hello everyone!
Since E-Bike theft has been significantly increasing in recent years I'm working on a potential idea to address E-Bike theft in the Netherlands and hopefully in various other countries as well! To do this I need your opinion on some of the safety concerns of owning an E-Bike and your general experience of using an E-Bike. I would greatly appreciate every input!

If you live in the Netherlands particularly or other European countries I need your participation in this 3 min survey.

https://forms.gle/wwNTVL8seJ1teSh88

Thank you so much, looking forward to hearing what you think and hopefully talking to some of you!
E-Bikes Survey
Your response has been recorded. ;)

What service are you selling, besides the emails and phone numbers you collect?

Legit survey would not request phone numbers.

People steal expensive bikes, or ones that are easy to steal.

So, use a decent lock, and make the bike look like cheap crap.

Has worked well for me for about a decade, now.

Do not forget a method of positive ID for the bike, most do not have serial or VIN numbers, you could catch the thief red-handed with a cop nearby and if you cannot prove bike belongs to you, the thief rides YOUR bike off into the sunset.

I put my business card in the seatpost.

I also make it look as ghetto as possible, avoid hi-crime areas when possible, and do not keep to a predictable schedule. Also, I do not live in major city, less than 500,000 people here.

Security cams are nearly worthless, for both positive ID and proof of illegal action. Areas of high foot traffic are NOT a deterrent, for most thieves.

Two main types of thieves, the crackhead and the pro. Above methods work for both.

If yours is stolen, MAKE A POLICE REPORT IMMEDIATELY, this is necessary for any insurance to pay off. Some homeowners policies will cover your bike in alternate locations.

The only way that an ebike would ever be safe in public is if it is covered with a hard clamshell drop awning that locks. Ride the bike up, lower the clamshell and lock it completely covering the bike and it would be relatively safe to leave for short periods of time. Converting car slots in parking garages to two covered (and lockable) bike storage slots would work. The bikes need to be both secure and out of sight. It's not rocket science, but it also won't ever be done... not enough money in it for someone to set it up. Since that isn't going to happen I have used an opaque bike cover and at least two different types of locks, one being titanium so if some ass hat tries to cut it there will be an amazing fireworks display. If you are going to be carrying panniers make sure the cover will fit a fully loaded bike. Regardless of what some "special" people think not all (or even most) homeowner insurance policies cover your property when not at the insured location. Stay safe. - https://photos.app.goo.gl/6qs3omh1GG1GGRJp6

BBassett, that would be why I used the word "SOME" when referencing possible insurance coverage, perhaps you are unfamiliar with its meaning?

The iphone tag may be a workable idea, but I do not purchase Apple products. There are various types of GPS locators and ID-capable alarm units which can also be used. Most require a monthly contract.

Mainly, I made my bike to be functional without regard to "looking cool", and try to park close to the "pretty" bikes. Anybody who asks gets told the battery is made from recycled, used laptop cells, which are known to have little value. Nobody steals "butt ugly".

Using multiple, expensive locks just screams to thieves that your bike is definitely worth stealing. Most locks can be defeated in a few minutes, less if you live in a big city and your bike attracts a pro. If they can't pick it, or cut it with a portable angle grinder, they can super-cool it and shatter it with a hammer. They have been known in some areas to show up with a truck and take the entire bike rack with all bikes attached to it.

...Nobody steals "butt ugly".
Not sure who you are but maybe if you cover your bike in dog feces it would help too. Good luck with that. Are you familiar with English? Take your time this time around. "The only way that an ebike would ever be safe in public is if it is covered with a hard clamshell drop awning that locks." "The bikes need to be both secure and out of sight."

BBassett stated "Regardless of what some "special" people think not all (or even most) homeowner insurance policies cover your property when not at the insured location."

I replied "BBassett, that would be why I used the word "SOME" when referencing possible insurance coverage, perhaps you are unfamiliar with its meaning?"

The connection between your comment and my reply should be completely obvious, I can explain it in simple, grade-school words for you if necessary.

Apparently, I can read what YOU wrote better than you can.

I used the phrase "Some homeowners policies", and NOT "most" or "all", because SOME do, and not most, also not all, which I did not expect to have to explain these simple words and their meanings. I stated this as factual because it is.

There are folks who have permanently painted what looks like mud splatter on their bikes, as a theft deterrent. There are also locks which, when cut, emit a very strong smell that is similar to the odor of dog crap, these may be of interest to you.

Hopefully we are all done with amateur hour at the kiddy parade.

Hoping for pie-in-the-sky solutions to this problem is a useless waste of time.

Know your environment. Are you dealing with crackheads, young kids, or experienced semi-professionals? How many police patrols in that area? What kind of theft targets are around you? Also, those police patrols, WHAT ARE THEY LOOKING FOR? There are places I go where a cop would tell me he has more important things to do than deal with a stolen ebike, cause of the gunshots. Other places, they are all over even petty crimes.

Do not be predictable or keep to a schedule, as much as possible. A bike tucked away in the same location M-F, 9-5, is going to be noticed and checked out, possibly targeted. Especially if a valuable brand-name and/or has valuable brand-name parts. Stylish and pretty catch a thief's eye.

Many stores will allow you to park between the double doors of an extended entranceway. Be efficient and in and out in a short time when shopping.

Those concerned with earning "style points" and bike snobs lose sight of a valuable, highly portable, lightweight item with no legal title or proof of ownership being a target for thieves. Brand names prominently featured so the thief has an immediate knowledge of resale value and what the market is like locally.

It does not need to be pretty. It just needs to WORK. Unless, of course, you are more concerned with what other people may think, which is a factor for some folks. Me, I really don't give a damn, I just want it to be there when I come out to get it and go home.

It's a Walmart donor bike, small, geared, barely noticeable front hub, "display" tiny with about seven LEDs, that have TWO colors, red and off, grocery-bag seat covers, shrink-wrap battery mounted with wall-board, duct-tape, a miniature bungee cord and a couple tennis balls. Plus some string and a couple zip ties. Something over 25,000 miles, 8 years, a fair amount in some hi-crime areas, $15 lock, and it is still there. A nice new BRAND-NAME ebike was ridden to my favorite grocery store for a couple months, parked right where I park mine, then a stolen flyer was posted. I been shopping there for over 8 years, parking in that same spot. That one is a low-crime, but target-rich area.

I am not interested in Utopian fantasies, I prefer methods that WORK, and solve the problem.

There are folks who have permanently painted what looks like mud splatter on their bikes, as a theft deterrent. There are also locks which, when cut, emit a very strong smell that is similar to the odor of dog crap, these may be of interest to you.
I've heard of people doing this too, paint a bike worth thousands of dollars with a spray can to make it look like a piece of junk. This will lower the resale value which means thieves are unlikely to touch it.

An ebike with a removable battery would be nice too so you can take the battery with you.

It amazes me how some folks are so upset by such a simple, yet proven effective strategy.

I originally thought the removable battery would be a good idea, my first battery was from a reputable outfit with a decent lock. I could defeat it easily with a flat-blade screwdriver, of almost any size. Also, the battery was simply too heavy to comfortably carry while shopping or other things. For long-term parking, maybe but I rarely do that. If you have to park for a normal 9-5, this would probably be a good deterrent, but I don't work regular hours. I never, not once, intentionally removed my original battery. It did slide out once (rear rack mount) and land directly on my sandaled foot, this was significantly unpleasant.

My current battery could be removed in seconds with an ordinary pair of scissors, but it looks like it would not be worth the effort. As designed.

Back