Solve this Problem!

bpmessenger

Local time
2:46 AM
My BBS02B has recently stopped working and suspect it may be two problems simultaneously. First was an Error 30 (which i believe started with some crushed harness wires) i re-soldered these together and problem solved with the error. In fact, the bike worked with no issues - it also solved the below problem (temporarily for my quick test ride)

The other was jerky operation under load. The bike would rev and stop and rev and stop. Originally just while under load, but now at all times. Under throttle, the engine will spin up and then go into a slow crawl. Remove pressure from the trigger for a second and it'll do the same again. Video below.

Is this battery? please help as its my only means of transport!

It would help to have a clear sequence of events.

FIRST - SOMETHING HAPPENED to crush the harness wires, and apparently cause BOTH an error display and the rev and stop problem. It will almost certainly help to learn more about what, exactly, happened. Also, SPECIFICALLY WHICH WIRES were crushed? Were they phase or power wires, going to motor or controller, and DID THEY CROSS_CONNECT, or possibly so? More clearly, can you say for certain that they did NOT cross-connect?

How long was that quick test ride, minutes, seconds, full throttle, DESCRIBE IN DETAIL. During that ride, it, apparently, briefly, worked correctly after the initial problem - WAS THE MOTOR PROBLEM ACTUALLY PRESENT AND DETECTED before the test ride and soldering, or had it not yet manifested itself - and then, repeat DURING THE TEST RIDE, failed into the current state.

Need clarity on precise sequence and details.

i do not believe the battery is an issue at this time, however what is it's SOC and current voltage reading, both from display if available and from a seperate voltmeter (DVM).

The information you provide, or fail to offer, will make the difference between getting a resolution to your problem, or not.

The 30 error i actually had ages ago and kind of just went away on its on (but came back). What started this whole thing was that as of a few days ago it started applying power, then stopping, then applying, then stopping.

I had the controller wire routed between the downtube and the motor, and when the motor kicks up a bit, it continually crushed the write (the new routing is different now). before i re-soldered i tried to shimmy the wire back into place and protect with a tube, but think it ended up cutting one of the harness wires a bit which gave me the more prevalent error 30.

What was crushed was the harness wires (the 8 little or so wires inside). I'm pretty certain they didnt cross connect. After the above I cut out the full bad section, re soldered them and all was good. At no point did the motor ever fully disconnect or the system turn of during the issues prior to this, was just stop start.

For the test run, (post re-soldering) no Error 30 from the get go - all good (havent gotten one yet)
Ran the motor with no bike attached on all power levels - all good.
Re mounted to bike and took outside for a few minutes, did the same with load on it, no problems.

Charged the battery to full, heat-shrinked the recently spliced section (each invidividual were already wrapped) and took off this morning. Immediately got the dying battery problem. Nothing else changed in between.

I figured something could have happened with the wires, so i removed the outer shrink and everything was solidly connected still (no error 30).

Long and short is i think the error 30 thing was solved but there could be more to the actual motor running.

The display says 52v (its a 48v battery) but no way to change it, its the most simple thin little display available.

I do not have a volt meter, but have ordered one that i'm going to put between the battery and motor and see what it reads

My BBS02B has recently stopped working and suspect it may be two problems simultaneously. First was an Error 30 (which i believe started with some crushed harness wires) i re-soldered these together and problem solved with the error. In fact, the bike worked with no issues - it also solved the below problem (temporarily for my quick test ride)

The other was jerky operation under load. The bike would rev and stop and rev and stop. Originally just while under load, but now at all times. Under throttle, the engine will spin up and then go into a slow crawl. Remove pressure from the trigger for a second and it'll do the same again. Video below.

Is this battery? please help as its my only means of transport!

In the video that you have supplied, it appears that you do not have the rear wheel connected by a chain. I assume that your bike has a speed sensor on the rear wheel correct? If that's the case you were running the motor without any input from the speed sensor. I think what you're seeing is the motor spinning up looking for the speed sensor not finding it then shutting down.

hi yes, it does the same thing with or without the speed sensor, had initially tested with it on the wheel

If you have a "48V" battery, the display should say, AT MOST, 50.4. A "52V" battery, should display a voltage of 54.6.

If you have a 48V battery, and the controller is set for a 52V battery, that could cause some issues that might simulate an undervoltage battery, but not dead when fully charged.

This is the second time you have referred to a Battery problem which I am not seeing any indications of. What symptoms are leading you to suspect the battery?

When you spliced the wires, are you CERTAIN they were attached the same as before, which is not necessarily with matching color wires?

Sounds like they certainly could have cross-connected, which could cause all sorts of interesting problems. Blown FETs in the controller, blown hall sensors, etc.

Unfortunately Ihave the Sw102 controller and doesn't seem to have any way to change the battery voltage settings (unless i'm missing something)

As far as the battery, i'm only guessing since it FEELS like if you have weak batteries in a flashlight, turn it on its bight then quickly dims, very similar to the power curve here.

When the wires were spliced, yes i'm certainly they were attached properly, even had the +1 check the colors. It was basically just mid-harness wire, so followed the existing shrink wrap colors.

I've ordered a 2nd battery to see if thats the issue (hopefully it is) i do have 850 miles on it, but that seems pretty low TBH. The next step would be to swap the controller i think? I have a spare one but am tryin to avoid any additional brain damage before the battery comes. But seems like from the pros here, its likely NOT the battery.

Went through the brain damage of installing a new controller tonight.. Seems to work again.. Who knows for how long but did a lap or two around the block at varying speeds and no issues.

Fingers crossed that solved the problem and the tech junkies here were right. Was going to wait for the new battery before doing so, but everyones comments here made me think otherwise.

Thanks all! I'll be back if it goes down again!

My 2-cents...
I would replace the harness with a new one, well just because. On Amazon, search for B09QWWHRNP it's $18.
My BBS02 would also rotate up toward the downtube, and it would crush the shift cable, making shifting erratic. I guess aluminum frames don't secure the motor adequately. I installed a Bafang stabilizer bar, and the problem was solved. I bought mine from Califirnia Ebike, Stabilizer Bar. I was lucky, as this bar fit perfectly for my bike. I can't say that it would for all bikes.

So, those wires which you did not think were cross-connected, were, in fact, cross-connected. Shorted two or more phase wires and blew or damaged some FETs.

Just so you know, the term "tech junkie" is highly offensive, inaccurate, and just plain goddamn wrong.

The acceptable term is "guru", and if you need to truly brown-nose, such as needing to ask more questions after calling me a "junkie", then the preferred form of address is "Exalted Lord High Grand Poobah", which, while you must type it out in full at least once, may thereafter be shortened to "El Hegpah". Which looks Hispanic but is totally unrelated, I have to constantly explain this.

Life can be so annoying.

Back