Soletri M366X trike on the way;

I'll speak for what I suppose is the rest of the world considering zero reviews for this innovative trike to date and say thank you.
The final piece of the puzzle begging commentary here seems to be the suspension/handling at that total weight as only a well designed trike boasting a decent frame will accomplish the former and latter with any degree of success. I'm guessing that neither of us has played around with the front suspension much yet if you have this obviously means a lot when it comes to a trike. Better yet could be someone chiming in here with: "yeah, that fork is garbage, if you really want to be safe and soak 'em up spend up and get this...".

I'll jump in with another feature that I like:
The throttle control is not bad. It is really nice to just inch along over rough terrain or not at the slowest of speeds and frankly do what a bike cannot. You don't think of using a trike this way until you own one but simply seeing every passing detail and stopping to smell the roses in comfort is not a bad way to spend the day.(y)

Funny how all of the haters simply 'disappear' when something that they have never even laid their eyes on turns out to be well worth a relatively small investment.

The silence is pretty much deafening (sorry guys).....

Over all I am super impressed with the speed, torque and power it has to pull ~350lbs or so up hill. I am less than impressed with the battery life or the "accuracy" of the display. Having said that I am extremely happy with this purchase and my wife and I look forward to a lot more rides to come. As a matter of fact, the battery should have some juice in it again and we're going to head out for another.
Given that the 'haters' of this trike might just have possibly been converted given their sudden silence (yeah I did have to rub that in just a little)...here are a few more observations:
I also either have a display accuracy problem or these batteries indeed are just as good as advertised.
All of my 95% throttle trips between charges (I'm a big guy) have been relatively short yet definitely enough to (seemingly) break the power level bar just a little, which has not happened. We'll start to keep track of the mileage and grades yet we're still hoping that these 21700 Samsung cells are as advertised. Everything else, including the disc brakes on some very steep down grades has held up so far.
I don't like the positioning of the battery power button or the button itself yet on the other hand it somewhat keeps someone from just first glance powering it on or frankly even knowing if they have succeeded (kudos in today's world).
The zipper for the cargo box obviously isn't a YKK style yet it hasn't failed yet.
The banana seat could be a little cushier if you're a larger rider yet I do not think that you will find another similarly framed trike boating so many options to modify it. Not bad enough to knock.
The pedal extenders are likely a must as I cannot imagine going back to stock unless you were of a frame that the bike was likely built for.
The 'off-road' Kenda fat tires are holding up on pavement well enough. I'll probably try to get the best that money can buy (whatever that is) on the front before it sees much more wear.
I did get an email that Fox (who must be hurting due to the discretionary economy) has first time ever relented and taken 20% off of their front fork and rear shock prices which may(?) have to come down some more at current prices: https://shop.ridefox.com/collections/enduro-sale?variation=B&utm_source=FOX Consumers&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=FOX_US_SALE_FORK20_JUN23&utm_content=GET 20% OFF NOW&_kx=AQQXzVYEim7lPrGijA5iRrfl1Q9Vf6yU7FLSl7eXgZd2GXa5Pm9hoMMtsPzCxUJF.JegjCH
The 750/1000 watt Bafang motor seems be solid enough. I have really torqued it up some steep hills throttle only and slow blipped it a lot on uneven ground to give it the kind of workout that 2-wheel applications normally do not.
It bears repeating that the Herotri model of this bike is basically identical save for the step through design of the Soletri.

What I still probably like best from simply a 'what can I do with this thing anyways' standpoint is the frame design overall.
There's just enough of it there to play around with.
Here's to hoping that someone besides myself does just that and then shows off their frankensteinish tendencies here...:cool::darkalien:

Tested the Soletri out on some sand that had blown over concrete at a depth just enough to not achieve traction in a narrow corridor. I'm not sure if my derailleur or shifter is acting up but I chose 7th gear at PAS 1 and pedaled like a madman to get though perhaps 25 yards.
Not a problem other than keeping it straight (which it did).
I just keep riding this thing time after time without really adjusting or messing with it at all (ie.) not even caring if the shifting is right at the moment.
A blast to ride and putter around even at crawling speeds.(y)

....hard to tell yet I did receive hope from Addmotor that the 365/66 models (no 'x' in. their replies) would be receiving the new transmission.
We'll see what happens on the 16th.
Surprised that all the 'haters' have become suddenly silent regarding this groundbreaking news let alone Addmotor absolutely crushing it at this price point without even getting started... ;)

Soletri's cousin with the better motor and rear drive configuration.
Will Addmotor add these features in to the dual rider/fully suspended Soleri/Heroti with the fantastic frame and turn the trike world on its head?

As a lifelong cyclist and retired Mechanical Engineer I find some aspects of this design troubling. My concerns are based on general cycling and engineering norms and I don’t have access to the actual product, so I have not done any exact calculations.

First, as a cyclist, I find a “saddle“ that is not height adjustable to be a huge problem for anyone except the smallest rider, (5’ 2”). Addmotor claims that the trike fits a rider from 5” 2” to 6’ 2”. Judging from the seat and bottom bracket heights, the bike will only properly fit a person with a 27” or maybe a 28” inseam. Anyone that is planning to pedal and has an inseam greater than 28” will likely injure their knees. The wide nose on the saddle is also likely add to joint injuries and discomfort as well.

From the engineering side, the swing arm bearings appear to be small and narrow. A trike puts an inherently high torsional load on the swing arm and frame at the pivot. A heavily loaded, heavy e-trike with a frail swing arm to frame interface is very concerning.

I have other concerns as well, such as the cable actuated disc brakes and generic suspension parts. Even high end bicycle suspension parts are high maintenance. Low end suspension may work fairly well when new, but if it is not maintained, it is likely to become a liability quite quickly.

I point these things out here so that potential buyers will be aware of some potential drawbacks that they may not have considered before they part with $3,000.00. It is your money and your health, so everyone needs to do as they choose.

As a lifelong cyclist and retired Mechanical Engineer I find some aspects of this design troubling. My concerns are based on general cycling and engineering norms and I don’t have access to the actual product, so I have not done any exact calculations.
C'mon now...you're a retired mechanical engineer? (sorry, I didn't use upper case). That explains a lot.
First, as a cyclist, I find a “saddle“ that is not height adjustable to be a huge problem for anyone except the smallest rider, (5’ 2”). Addmotor claims that the trike fits a rider from 5” 2” to 6’ 2”. Judging from the seat and bottom bracket heights, the bike will only properly fit a person with a 27” or maybe a 28” inseam. Anyone that is planning to pedal and has an inseam greater than 28” will likely injure their knees.
You say that you don't have any access to the product or exact calculations yet you are more than happy to make nose in the air (false0 assumptions which should not be questioned.
By gosh you WERE a mechanical engineer!!!! ;)
The wide nose on the saddle is also likely add to joint injuries and discomfort as well.
Are you sure you that you weren't a doctor in some former life as well? Believe me, folks...I've dealt with these guys my entire career...they know absolutely everything about every one else's product and ALWAYS more than the guy who either made it from scratch, owns one or has been through just about as much training than the folks who build 'em.
You haven't met every character on earth until you've met or dealt with a mechanical engineer. ;)

From the engineering side,
Yeah, I'm going to have to take a break. Starting to get those looking down the nose arrogance flashbacks again. :)

C'mon now...you're a retired mechanical engineer? (sorry, I didn't use upper case). That explains a lot.

You say that you don't have any access to the product or exact calculations yet you are more than happy to make nose in the air (false0 assumptions which should not be questioned.
By gosh you WERE a mechanical engineer!!!! ;)

Are you sure you that you weren't a doctor in some former life as well? Believe me, folks...I've dealt with these guys my entire career...they know absolutely everything about every one else's product and ALWAYS more than the guy who either made it from scratch, owns one or has been through just about as much training than the folks who build 'em.
You haven't met every character on earth until you've met or dealt with a mechanical engineer. ;)

Yeah, I'm going to have to take a break. Starting to get those looking down the nose arrogance flashbacks again. :)
I stated my credentials because they mean that I have more than a basic understanding of mechanical physics. You don’t have to do a lot of math to know that a narrow, three wheeled vehicle with a high center of gravity is going to be unstable.

The approximate inseam that I mentioned is based on the bottom bracket and seat height. It’s not rocket science. If a bike with a fixed seat height can be ridden by a person that is 5’2”, then it is not set up to be pedaled by someone taller, let along over 6’ tall.

I mentioned that I am a lifelong cyclist because I am and I still ride conventional bikes and know that saddle height and width are crucial to applying power to the pedals and preventing joint injury, (any cyclist knows this. You don’t have to be a doctor to know that. It’s pretty basic.). Maybe you think that you and Addmotor know better than the rest of the cycling industry. I have my doubts.

If you want to talk about arrogance, you are the one that puts your lack of education above others that actually studied and applied science and mechanical physics. Look in the mirror if you want to see an example of an arrogant and ignorant old troll.

If you want to talk about arrogance, you are the one that puts your lack of education above others that actually studied and applied science and mechanical physics.
If you ever meet an engineer (like 'Django')..and it might take a while before he very plainly tells you outright...be prepared and possibly again reference my decades of experience dealing with them above.
Still loving our Soletri and waiting for Addmotor to combine the best of their other trikes with the groundbreaking features of this one. (their latest budget folder just boasted a rear drive and kick butt split rear differential).

Still loving our Soletri and waiting for Addmotor to combine the best of their other trikes with the groundbreaking features of this one. (their latest budget folder just boasted a rear drive and kick butt split rear differential).

You keep saying that you're loving your Soletri trike, but you never mention how many miles/hours you've ridden on it, no pictures, no detail on how your trike performs, why you love it.. and how much better it is from other trikes..

I wonder how much have you ridden your trike vs any other trikes to give decent comparison?
or
if you've ridden any e-trikes at all?

If you ever meet an engineer (like 'Django')..and it might take a while before he very plainly tells you outright...be prepared and possibly again reference my decades of experience dealing with them above.
First, what exactly are you trying to say? (You seem to talk in circles. Word salads are not a logical way to communicate an idea). I get that you have a problem with engineers, and probably anyone with an education and science in general.

Second, what is the “split rear differential” that you keep referring to. I don’t see mention of that on Addmotor’s site. They talk about their “speed differential”, but they don’t seem to clarify the type of differential and they don’t describe how it functions.

They talk about their “speed differential”, but they don’t seem to clarify the type of differential and they don’t describe how it functions
If 'split' isn't a term quite understandable to young (cough) 'engineers' today...then I'm starting to understand why the Soletri's equally groundbreaking double rear suspension caused such a confused uproar as well.
Addmotor will likely(?) put all of these desirable features in to a trike even more groundbreaking than the recent ones introduced (at similarly great prices?)...so don't put those decades dumbed down school books away just yet.

If 'split' isn't a term quite understandable to young (cough) 'engineers' today...then I'm starting to understand why the Soletri's equally groundbreaking double rear suspension caused such a confused uproar as well.
Addmotor will likely(?) put all of these desirable features in to a trike even more groundbreaking than the recent ones introduced (at similarly great prices?)...so don't put those decades dumbed down school books away just yet.
You seem to have some trouble with reading comprehension. Follow along, take a deep breath, stomp your feet, follow along some more or get someone to explain it to you slowly.

I said that Addmotor doesn’t call it a “split differential”, and they don’t define the type, (it seems that it would be impossible to actually teach you anything, but there are different types of differentials and variations in function).

Are you confused by the terms “split” and “slip”??? I asked you about the term “split differential” because you throw it around, but Addmotor does not. So far, you seem to be incapable of adding any real substance to the conversation.

To be clear, my engineering background did not include automotive and I don’t claim any expertise regarding differentials, (I was never a car guy). I understand the purpose of a differential and have a basic understanding of its function, but as I said, no expertise. If you have any expertise, please enlighten us.

I don’t care that you dislike the same people that invented and designed so many things that have enhanced your life. Your well deserved inferiority complex comes through loud and clear.

No need to be sorry.

I wonder how long it would take for the tilting axle differential technology to trickle down to less costly trikes.
Though I don't feel the need for trikes to corner at any significant speed with non-tilting axles.
Cube_BMW_Concept_Dynamic_Cagro_Bike_2022_Downtown_WEB_Res-053-1140x760.jpg

The front and rear suspension looks interesting, if it holds up well over the long haul. The seat is not that attractive since it cannot be raised or lowered. The front hub motor would not be my first choice, due to traction issues on uphill gravel, wet surfaces, etc. I think a center pedal crank motor would be more useful for many folks. But they are on the right track, give us the suspension system, a rear position drive motor and an adjustable seat and they would have a real contender!

Back