Soletri M366X trike on the way;

My reply:
"...We're not all "challenged balancing on an e-bike"...only taking advantage of either single front or rear wheel designs allowing us to relax much more and more comfortably enjoy the ride/scenery (which these new sharp cornering front two wheel designs will soon prove)."

I also argued that Etrikes are not "more suited for folks who have physical challenges to operate/balance a 2-wheel ebike ..." citing the leisure-related facts outlined above and the reality that E(trike) type designs of all powers always have been and literally always will be the workhorses of the world.

"All" was used as a reminder that the world's overall (E)trike market is driven by demands much larger than what your opinion of it is "suited for".
A lot of young people don't work in industrial settings anymore or where large work areas are housed under one roof/paved complexes...but pedal trikes were once the #1 answer to 'reasonable' pedestrian safety concerns as all manner of materials were schlepped around these plants. Even today, I wouldn't trust an Etrike in our latest generation's hands (in industrial settings) as most have never day in/out ridden a bike for years on end which was just not the case when trikes were much more prevalent.
I would also wager to guess that no one could be persuaded under threat of termination to pedal a trike anyways given a 21st century work ethic that I have sadly witnessed first hand...:confused::rolleyes:

Whatever you've witness first hand, would still remain anecdotal without actual data & number to support your claims.

My observations are from living & working in NYC metro, where infrastructures are developing more towards human powered vehicles,
workhorses that are used for deliveries are majorly ebikes that can filter between car mirrors in bumper to bumper traffic.
I've seen workhorse ebikes towing large container on 2 or 4-wheels as such, but so far no e-trikes as workhorse:
lgPTlDn.jpg

In nearly 10 years commuting on bicycles in NYC metro, I have not seen ANY e-trikes being used as delivery vehicle in NYC, other than rickshaw/pedicab type trikes for transporting tourists in Manhattan, around Central Park.

Currently, the delta e-trike market that's developing are targeting folks with disposable income that may have physical challenges; hence multiple e-trike reseller webpage include picture of their e-trike riders with prosthetic, prominently displayed.
RadPowerTrike-5083_2048x1152.jpg

trike-5.jpg

Challenges may include, but limited to balancing or less flexibility to bend down to mount a low to the ground tadpole trike; as someone who may have had back surgery and cannot bend or squat down to mount a trike that is low to the ground.
For those folks described above, they have been demanding resellers to have provide a product that can support their needs for a etrike that allows mobility, at lower speeds, not prioritized for top max top speed performance.

Fact will remain that those who can benefit from operating an upright, cheap, delta etrike are likely to be riders who are riding slower; hence most of them have lower top speed (under 20 mph) from the factory.

They drive those things all over Utah (USA)

That would be interesting to try electric and solar on that one with all that suspension, i'd not care if i only went 15 miles per hour :sneaky:
Agreed. With that much suspension, I could care less just how fast that I went and only that I'd be enjoying every obstacle that I came across...in total comfort.

I've seen workhorse ebikes towing large container on 2 or 4-wheels as such, but so far no e-trikes as workhorse:
lgPTlDn.jpg

In nearly 10 years commuting on bicycles in NYC metro, I have not seen ANY e-trikes being used as delivery vehicle in NYC,
"...In nearly 10 years commuting on bicycles in NYC metro, I have not seen ANY e-trikes being used as delivery vehicle in NYC, other than rickshaw/pedicab type trikes for transporting tourists in Manhattan, around Central Park...."

think that you picked the wrong pic to make your point.
That's a bike towing a trike behind the DHL guy.
We'll just have to agree to disagree here.
I was no more considering my 'limitations' when I switched from an ATV to a side-by-side let alone (today) from an Ebike to an Etrike.
The vastly reduced effort required to truly enjoy your surroundings in both of these switches is obviously lost to most.
I can't wait myself and will always be lusting towards comfort....
(oh yeah, there are disabled people having the time of their lives here..I think that I'll just copy them and join in)

"...In nearly 10 years commuting on bicycles in NYC metro, I have not seen ANY e-trikes being used as delivery vehicle in NYC, other than rickshaw/pedicab type trikes for transporting tourists in Manhattan, around Central Park...."

think that you picked the wrong pic to make your point.
That's a bike towing a trike behind the DHL guy.

The person is towing a trike trailer, with a steering column to allow tighter turns with a extra long overall length.
It's not a e-trike that he's towing.
Video below may be exaggerated for the cornering instability in delta trikes.

^^^^^^^^ You lost the point.
Endless examples of trike designs are everywhere hauling everything but crippled old geezers and the disabled.
As far as the video?
I have never witnessed two grown men(?) so afraid of a tricycle and am almost traumatized myself just witnessing same.
Speechless.:rolleyes:

Will this $3K trike have the option to fold up for easier transport or storage? I know, I know, folding up is not always a must have option like the Lectric XP Trike for half the money, but I do wish the Lectric trike had at least a 3-spd rear axle option. Oh well, as us baby boomers age, more of us with balance issues will have to move to multi wheel options if we want to keep riding and pedaling outdoors. Then perhaps there will be more options available like 'trick' trikes (think full suspension, AWD, and other options), and even 4 wheel off road pedal assist 'carts'?

No folder upper for this one yet I agree with you, the $1500 XP is worth every penny and a good buy save for the gears that they should have included for a few bucks more. I've heard an excuse as to why in the XP thread and disagree.
There have been a few full suspension trikes/4-wheel 'inventions' put forward up here in the past few weeks. My favorite is in post #23 and yes, God willing, I don't need one at this very moment due to age or incapacities.
It's just a great machine (period).

...btw...no update on my Soletri scheduled to be shipped in May(June?).
Hope that it's not too much for me to handle.... ;)

^^^^^^^^ You lost the point.
Endless examples of trike designs are everywhere hauling everything but crippled old geezers and the disabled.
As far as the video?
I have never witnessed two grown men(?) so afraid of a tricycle and am almost traumatized myself just witnessing same.
Speechless.:rolleyes:

Whatever you say, at least I didn't spend $3K to find out.

Bonus...just found out that the Soletri model above comes with a fitted nylon bag for the back rack and that the mirrors are $20/something shipped free.
Still hoping to have someone talk me out of this one...Bafang 750W motor problems?..."UL Listed" battery doubts?...other outsourced components which I have no clue as to quality?....Kenda 'puncture resistant' 4" fat tires not necessarily good rubber?....other models out there leaps and bounds above for around $3K?
The Bafang motor is not an negative but a positive in the e bike world these days. They have a proven track record and are the preferred suppliers for builders wanting to have reliable power. As for the UL batteries, I'm not sure what to make of that because there seem to be more brands stating the UL listings, but I not confident they have actually gone through the pricy process to get the ratings.

As for the Kenda tires the same thing is true they are preferred brand for quality builders.

My biggest issue with the design of the Addmotor is the front wheel drive. On less that ideal surfaces this design doesn't work well at all.

I would recommend you look at the Lectric Trike recently released at a $1499.00 and in my opinion has a superior design. https://lectricebikes.com/products/xp-trike-graphite

YeahI think that I have defended the Soletri's unique forward seat design let alone farther forward footwell literally solving previous traction concerns whenever needed. I also went in to detail concerning riders being aware of bikes that lack suspension (completely), are frankly very slow at a 14mph top speed, those which lack sufficient torque when you may need it, boast but one sprocket gear for no reason (let alone a cadence versus torque sensor), ride on skinny tires to make them even more unstable and which are certainly 'foldable' yet (necessarily) 'wheelbase wanting'.
As for 'A' (above) being happy that he did not spend $3K to experience a superior trike in almost every category..there's an old saying..you get what you pay for. ;)

...I would knock the fact that the Soletri does not have hydraulic brakes...yet those guys in the video above (and apparently others) seem much more afraid of crashing their tricycles and prone to constantly riding their brakes than I. :)

...so I am trying to grasp a better understanding of the rear suspension design of the Soletri (two rear shocks according to the features page?) from only a single picture taken from but a 90 degree angle. Any thoughts? An initial glance seems to indicate some type of very basic trailing arm design yet I'd like to know how prevalent this type of setup is on other trikes and who presently in the market at $3K is boasting replaceable/modifiable rear suspension components. I'll limit the latter question to upright and semi-recumbent styles...

...I'm also a bit surprised that I didn't receive any flak regarding my ATV seat swap proposal above. If you've never swung a leg over a Sportsman or some of the older 3-wheelers and sunk your cheeks in to all that foam, you might not understand... ;)
I might well not understand also, as an old fart, that being 'seen' on anything resembling a doodle bug type contraption might not be all that appealing to younger generations.
In my day, you were just happy to get around (period) and frankly one didn't give a whip one way or another if anyone was impressed or not (ingenuity was often admired, copied and frankenstienishly experimented with).
Heck, even the Japanese were modifying/riding around on my present rotor-tiller and taking it in to town for supplies: (at the 3 minute mark: one-handed operation resulting in a fine silt till):

I've seen them ride those things all around in other countries...now i wanna buy one :ROFLMAO:

Thanks for confirming as I've never witnessed it myself; only confirmed that ours was bulletproof enough to imagine it so... o_O

No thoughts on the Soletri rear suspension setup or as to how many manufacturers have previously used it on a trike? Don't like it? Can't figure it out from the pic?
As offered earlier, I'll take even a little frame width/breadth in the seat area for easier seat/suspension mods down the road regardless of what Addmotor will be delivering in OEM form.
My disadvantage here is that I am not familiar with enough present (rear suspension) trike designs out there on the market. I have also rarely witnessed one shock let alone two designed in/prepped for a 21st century rear shock replacement such as these:
https://www.ridefox.com/filter.php?m=bike&t=shocks

This isn't the most comprehensive review and I'll try to find another yet I think that this is the 2-wheeled cousin to the Soletri:

I just put in a call to Addmotor tonight. They assured me that the Soletri was on track to be shipped out of CA in Mid May and could tell where my trike was on the priority list for shipment due to my order date.
I was overall impressed with the conversation and made confident that it will be in our hands soon enough.

Probably going to need the mountain bike pedals and the rear foot pegs for passengers...yet this has me drooling a bit for grocery store runs, my pier fishing cooler and hauling stuff around the yard...
ebike-kit_1681464019.jpg

Back