Solar battery charger for 1000watt ebike battery?

cindy

Local time
2:44 PM
Hey does anyone know of a solar battery charger strong enough to charge a 1000 watt ebike battery?

All solar chargers work on the amount of power the panel (or panels) create. If you buy a 100w panel, you'd expect nominally to spend 10 hours charging a 1000w battery. If you had 10 100w panels in series, you could charge the thing in 1 hour if the battery could accept the charge that fast.

I have a160w panel and a 840w battery, I charge full in about 5 hours.

I have two, one is folding, about 12lbs, and folds to about 1 foot square. I'm moving away from that to a flexible panel from Renogy which I'm going to mount on my trailer so I can use it while on the go.

Here's my current setup:
fold out solar panel charging ebike .jpg

Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
I use 200w of solar and 500w inverter to charge my ebike battery. The solar charger is 30amp

I use 200w of solar and 500w inverter to charge my ebike battery. The solar charger is 30amp
I don't use an inverter. I use straight DC to the battery via the MPPT controller. Way less loss than DC to AC back to DC.

There is more to it than dividing and use of arithmetic. As I live off grid and get all my power from photovoltaic panels. Unless pointed at the Sun they don't produce at maximum rated power. Then all chargers and any inverters you might require have losses,nothing is 100% efficient. There are no 50+volt panels so you will need a charger. The charger will most likely be a 110v charger. Fortunately you will most likely not need a pure sine wave inverter(read expensive). A "modified" inverter will probably work fine. The panels are not too much nor are modified inverters. $250 for a panel maybe $80 for the inverter. The charger is up to you. I hope this helps a little. PS: winter and rain will kill productivity. Especially rain.
The mppt controllers ain't cheap but they are great for voltage variations. That $80 inverter doesn't apply to mppt. Look before you leap.

There is more to it than dividing and use of arithmetic. As I live off grid and get all my power from photovoltaic panels. Unless pointed at the Sun they don't produce at maximum rated power. Then all chargers and any inverters you might require have losses,nothing is 100% efficient. There are no 50+volt panels so you will need a charger. The charger will most likely be a 110v charger. Fortunately you will most likely not need a pure sine wave inverter(read expensive). A "modified" inverter will probably work fine. The panels are not too much nor are modified inverters. $250 for a panel maybe $80 for the inverter. The charger is up to you. I hope this helps a little. PS: winter and rain will kill productivity. Especially rain.
The mppt controllers ain't cheap but they are great for voltage variations. That $80 inverter doesn't apply to mppt. Look before you leap.
There are no 50 volt panels but you can get a controller or transformer to step 12v up to 48 or 60 easily, and that's way less loss than going through an inverter. Then it's DC-DC charging your batter.

Links to Amazon may include affiliate code. If you click on an Amazon link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
Back