So I guess this is my personal mobility vehicle

biknut

Local time
9:55 AM
I bought this bike as a young man of 60 years. I'm almost 70 now. With luck I'll be riding it at 80. My question is, does that scare you?
Richardson ride rs.jpg
:unsure:

I think it look pretty bad a$$!

Enjoy it, but just be careful of falls. I’m in my mid 50s and dread the idea of falling. The body ain’t as rubbery and bounce-back as it used to be, LOL.

As folks advance in age, especially into later 70s, I like the idea of trikes. All depends on one’s risk tolerance though, I guess, and lust for fun.

I bought this bike as a young man of 60 years. I'm almost 70 now. With luck I'll be riding it at 80. My question is, does that scare you? View attachment 7657:unsure:
Hell no, your the man. I just love your e bike and bet so many others do too. If you would take pics of your handlebars like when sitting on it please. And tell us what all you've done to it, what distance you can go, and what type of cost you've invested into it. Very cool e bike. Great job.
Makes me want to have a different e bike for every day of the week. Older men with there toys.

Attachments

• 20230220_174859.jpg
    20230220_174859.jpg
    505.3 KB · Views: 87
Here you go Jimbo5

This bike is a 2013 Stealth Bomber, made in Australia. I've made a lot of changes over the years. I updated all the electrical last September. Now I'm running a QS205 5000w motor powered by a Kelly KLS7218S, 80 amp controller. The battery is 72v 35 ah, with 100 amp bms. It tops out about 55 mph. The range can drop to about 40 miles if riding fast the whole time, but on average it's about 50 miles. I could easily go 65 miles by keeping the speed under 30 mph. I seldom pedal, but it does have a very nice stock 9 speed pedal gearbox called a VBoxx made by Suntour. The most recent change I made that's had a significant impact ws installing a seat from a SurRon. Finally total comfort after all these years. In 2013 the total cost of one of these bikes was $10,000 shipped, but by now I have bizillions invested.
sweep back handle bars.jpg

That's a pretty big hub; direct drive?
Looks like they took the Honda gearbox after the patent expired?
55 mph is too fast on an eBike, IMO. 25 is as fast as I want to go without motorcycle caliber brakes and protective gear.

Yes, stay off any bicycle trails with that street/mountain motorcycle. You are street legal only. License it.
Don't misunderstand - nice machine, just not a bicycle under any legal definition.
What's your cadence at 55mph?

Hey Bikenut it's qlder here but you know me as the Oldboy from that other place we talk. I'm 60 and I to hope to be riding my bomber at 70 and beyond . You have to own one mate don't you just to understand just how magical they really are . Comments like Honda motors and you shouldn't go over 25 kph and so on blah blah blah isn't there a name for that sort of thing I think it's called KAREN. any way mate I don't have any problems with you riding you bomber at any age or at any speed either good on you mate at least your out there doing it and enjoying the hell out of it to

I'm thinking about putting pedals on my recumbent quad bike and heading down to the beach boardwalk for some burnouts and fun.
What do y'all think? Maybe paint it red, or Eddy Merckx Molteni orange with blue panels.
I love my quad bicycle.
a fuel dragster.jpg

72 years old here. E-Roll on - legally.

I bought this bike as a young man of 60 years. I'm almost 70 now. With luck I'll be riding it at 80. My question is, does that scare you? View attachment 7657:unsure:
Hey Biknut - sounds like a plan. I am 78 and had a serious back injury years ago that stops me from serious riding. So I now have an ebike that I ride to help keep my big muscles moving. I also like the ebike for keeping my balance in working order. As always I never begrudge anyone doing anything that they are capable of SO carry on!

Hey Bikenut it's qlder here but you know me as the Oldboy from that other place we talk. I'm 60 and I to hope to be riding my bomber at 70 and beyond . You have to own one mate don't you just to understand just how magical they really are . Comments like Honda motors and you shouldn't go over 25 kph and so on blah blah blah isn't there a name for that sort of thing I think it's called KAREN. any way mate I don't have any problems with you riding you bomber at any age or at any speed either good on you mate at least your out there doing it and enjoying the hell out of it to
Let me get this straight: you mis-quoted me, then called me a KAREN for your bad reading skills?
  • I didn't say "Honda motor" I said "Honda gearbox"
  • I didn't say "25 kph" I said mph.
I was concerned for his safety and those around him and also about law enforcement coming down on us because a few of us have 55 mph (that's 89 kph) eBikes that are not properly licensed.

Later on, entitled-feeling people like you ("...don't have any problems with you riding you bomber at any age or at any speed..."-people) will be bitching and moaning about how the eBike laws are so tough. Your entitled attitude back in 2023 will have screwed the rest of us royally, as we will no longer be under the radar.

Gosh, I thought I was the Karen... for stating (by linking the TX law) that if it has ~7X the allowed legal power - it is not a bicycle or e-bike. It is an electric off-road two wheeler.

I think it is a great machine (and stated so in my initial comment above), fine piece of work and should be ridden with Pride, wherever off-roading vehicles are permitted. And if licensed, enjoy it to the max on the streets. Just not on bike trails. If one has the whole of Texas to ride this beauty of a beast, why ride it the one place it is not legal? So logical. Th-th-that's all folks.

Here is my off-roader. And bike trail compatible, to get me to some vertical terrain (y). It is not an e-bike either :(. Not handcrafted by me :sick:. I legally ride it with Pride, occasionally.
WIN_20230306_14_01_45_Pro.jpg

Blah blah blah do you feel better now youve got that out of your system. Sure hope so , just be careful not to go over 25MPH

There are heaps and heaps of bikes out there that go faster than 25mph heaps get over it

Sorry if I offended you my friend I truely are . Im sure there are more things to worry about than the speed of an ebike . I could ride faster than 25mph on my unpowered road bike but that's ok so long as it's got no motor . These laws are a joke plain and simple. People in this world should worry about then selfs and not others and the world would be a much better place . I'll say it again though if I offended anyone which Im sure I did I'm sorry and I should not have said what I said sorry

Sorry, I should let this pass (it is a nit in the bigger picture of even entitled 1st World problems), butt, ....I have to reply.

This is not about Mr. @biknut = not one word ever stated he has had this most excellent, custom, electric motorcycle on a bicycle trail, just a pic which may have been a cross-road.

It is simply about following the law.
The machine pictured in post #1 is a beautiful machine. Owned lovingly for many years, by a man (my ~age) and upgraded by his knowledgeable hands to a higher level of performance. Which he will ride many years. That is great, wonderful and applaudable. I 100% get it and empathize.

Here is a bicycle I have owned over 20 years and upgraded to higher levels of performance a few times. By my own hand.
carbon riv 1.jpg

It goes faster than 25mph. As do the other dozen road pedal bikes I have ready to roll.
flying along.jpg

Riding w Jeff 2.jpg

WIN_20160417_15_06_50_Pro.jpg

I believe in ebikes, One less car on the road maybe. An older person off the couch maybe. Outside is healthier than inactivity.
a gain2.jpg

But the wonderful machine in post #1 is not a bicycle. Not even if anyone wants to believe it is a bicycle simply because it has pedals ('seldom used'). Legally speaking, it is not a bicycle or even an e-bike, because the motor is over 6x what is allowed by state law. If it weighs 100#, that is a second disqualifier. It IS an electric, off-road capable machine. Attractive, powerful, good range, etc. Just not a bicycle. Keep 30mph motored machines off bike trails/multi-use paths. Keep 55mph capable machines off multi-use trails with 1mph capable toddlers, 2mph adults, 3mph dogs on-leash and distracted zero mph people with headphones, earbuds, binoculars, etc. who have the right of way.

It is simply about following rules designed for the safety of all.
Texas is big, ride your motorcycles anywhere but walking, running, skating, cycling paths.
Even cycling groups that routinely ride fast should stay off trails.
Common sense.
Lawful.
The right thing to do.
Who opposes that?

I get what you are saying , I really truely do . Only thing I could reply with is just because the bike in question can travel at those speeds doesn't mean that is going to be travelling at those speeds on said pathways . Yes there are speed laws that cover those pathway and the bike because it had peddles and can be peddled and yes they do peddle pretty easily can still travel on those pathways at the right speed then go faster on the open roads just like your road bike can .. it can be ridin on the pathways slowly and then ridin as fast as you can on the open roads what's the difference. The only difference I can see is your interpretation of what is classed as a ebike . And yes there are hundreds of large heavy Ebikes with pedals that all can be ridden and pedaled slowly on the pathways to so everyone is still safe

Not my interpretation of what is an e-bike, Texas law. (bike pictured in Texas)
Sorry, this is black & white.
Not legal on multi-use trails.
Period.
Can we agree on following laws?

o_O Next time I fly my Cessna 152 cross country, why bother with airports? I-10 is ok, VFR. I'll just find some lonely interstate sections near a TX cloverleaf, taxi to the gas station, demand a long hose, clear the access road for takeoff - and everybody, look the other way. (y)
a cessna.jpg

It's got 3 wheels, brakes, steering, lights - let me drive it on wide streets - without an auto license. Makes sense to me?!? :ROFLMAO: Besides, as a propeller head - I upgraded this one, let's me 'fly effortlessly' at 180. :love:

apologies to @biknut - i really, genuinely love your machine and your skill, etc. Build another beauty - any way you wish - legal for the bicycle trail. Don't get rid of the offroader for it's appropriate use and thrills.

edit: Insider tip - I hear the ultimate in road electric vehicles is (will soon be) the Tesla CyberTruck, modified (stripped down & stealthy) for street use (no towing!), and with solar panels for reduced fixed charging station stops. Get your order in.

Back