Snoop Talk

JerryB

Local time
11:40 PM
Some more woodworking to share.

This box shows off scrollsaw (my favorite tool) compound cutting to a more complex degree.

The whole thing was made from regular flat boards. The main box is black walnut. The ribbons were made using curly maple (center stripe), mahogany (outer stripes) and dyed veneers as accents.

The way the ribbons were made was to first create a laminate by gluing my choice boards together. Once I had this, I cut the shape of the ribbon out in one plane, and then flipped the laminate 90 degrees, and cut the shape in the second plane. The hollowing of the bows was made by drilling and making internal cuts and finely sanding.

The box was finished with shellac (beetle juice!).

I made this one for my wife, and she loved it but says it’s a pain in the a$$ to dust, LOL.

View attachment 5366

View attachment 5368

View attachment 5370
Very nice work....beautiful.

Snoop

Local time
2:40 AM
Why, thank you, sirs! :)

I wish I had more time to hit the shop these days. It‘s one of those places (similar to when I’m on my bike) where I can just let go of other thoughts and responsibilities and just be there for the moment, and enjoy the moment.

Snoop

Local time
Honeycrisp apples are now fresh in the markets here in Western NY. Bought my first bushel of the season today.

When those suckers are fresh and in season, they are one of my favorite things about fall time. Chili and stew are up there too, but not even close. :)

Snoop

Local time
Check out this cool picture from the Goodyear Blimp at tonight’s Bills game.

Hey, I can see my house! :)

48FE7E19-14C6-4D4C-8138-D7B4C92AA47D.jpeg

Snoop

Local time
No biking for me past week or so.
After 2 1/2 years, finally got taken down by Covid.
Feeling much better. Worst part has been the isolating and subsequent being sedentary. Even when not biking, I’m on my feet all day at work. Not used to sitting around so much.

Django

Local time
I hope that you are testing negative and back in the saddle soon.

JerryB

Local time
Hope your recovery goes fast and well......take care. Had a buddy send this to me yesterday....thought it was pretty funny.

Just got back from the doctor... he said I can touch myself inappropriately whenever I want to!​

Wife: Grabs report "This says you could have a stroke at any time"

Snoop

Local time
Back in the saddle again this week, and it feels good! :)

That little bug kind of kicked my butt a bit in the end. Glad I was quad-vaccinated…..scary to think how sick I might have been otherwise.

Anyway, took a nice long bike ride to Niagara Falls today. The fall colors were gorgeous. I’ll get some pics up soon.

Snoop

Local time
Posted the bike ride pics in the photo sharing thread.

Regarding my recent Covid experience…..if you have to isolate, it’s always good to have a quarantine buddy!

A8B39E27-8594-4920-80E6-4795C1C55C35.jpeg

2C5D8207-8D68-4552-9D15-CD756ADBCA88.jpeg

Snoop

Local time
Nice thing about coming home from a long day‘s work this time of year is that it’s too dark to do anything outside. Just throw on some fleeces, hit the recliner, and have some soup by the fire while watching TV or reading a book.

The cold months are not all bad.

JerryB

Local time
Just finished up another vehicle and moved her into our museum.....this is #63.....she a beauty.....1880 Goddard Albany Vis a Vis Sleigh....made in Boston.....been in shop for several months.....got her done just in time for Christmas.....enjoy!

Attachments

• Vis a Vis Sleigh.jpg
    Vis a Vis Sleigh.jpg
    252.9 KB · Views: 15

Snoop

Local time
Just finished up another vehicle and moved her into our museum.....this is #63.....she a beauty.....1880 Goddard Albany Vis a Vis Sleigh....made in Boston.....been in shop for several months.....got her done just in time for Christmas.....enjoy!

That one’s amazing, Jerry! Just in time for the Holidays as well.
Thanks for sharing.

Can you briefly describe some of restoration which was required? What kind of shape was it in when you received it?

Django

Local time
Very nice. It’s not unexpected, (I know your work). That’s a real treasure.

JerryB

Local time
That one’s amazing, Jerry! Just in time for the Holidays as well.
Thanks for sharing.

Can you briefly describe some of restoration which was required? What kind of shape was it in when you received it?

This sleigh was restored in 1980 and belonged to another museum who gifted it to us. It has been in storage for many years. From being moved around....it had several significant stress cracks which needed to be filled....sanded and repainted. Matching the paint is always a bit tricky with these vehicles....this one was especially hard.......the pin stripping on this vehicle was extensive and the red color took awhile to get a perfect match...... laying down the lines took some detailed work. We also had to do some touch up to the runnng gear....it had many nicks and scratches....getting a paint match took some time. We also had to make a drivers seat cushion for this sleigh.....no clue as to why it was missing. The red upolstery (use to be called trim) was is pretty good shape so we had to just do some significant cleaning. This sleigh is very large and came out beautiful. We will be decorating it tomorrow for Christmas.....in fact.....we have an event planned for 12/4.....people will get to sit in the sleigh with Santa and have family pics taken......should be fun.

Snoop

Local time
This sleigh was restored in 1980 and belonged to another museum who gifted it to us. It has been in storage for many years. From being moved around....it had several significant stress cracks which needed to be filled....sanded and repainted. Matching the paint is always a bit tricky with these vehicles....this one was especially hard.......the pin stripping on this vehicle was extensive and the red color took awhile to get a perfect match...... laying down the lines took some detailed work. We also had to do some touch up to the runnng gear....it had many nicks and scratches....getting a paint match took some time. We also had to make a drivers seat cushion for this sleigh.....no clue as to why it was missing. The red upolstery (use to be called trim) was is pretty good shape so we had to just do some significant cleaning. This sleigh is very large and came out beautiful. We will be decorating it tomorrow for Christmas.....in fact.....we have an event planned for 12/4.....people will get to sit in the sleigh with Santa and have family pics taken......should be fun.

Thanks, Jerry! I really find that fascinating.

I can tell you’re passionate about and love what you do.
I think it’s great that you can “bring back history” for so many people to enjoy. The Christmas activity you have planned sounds like a lot of fun also.

If it‘s not a bother, please share a pic of the sleigh once it’s all decorated.
Have fun!

Top Bottom