Should I grease the outside of my seat post shim?

Snoop

Local time
6:34 AM
So I am about to replace my Pace’s seat post with a new suspension post. I had to purchase a shim for proper fit.

The manufacturer directions state to lightly grease the new seat post, which I don’t have a problem with. Since I have a shim, however, do you think I should grease the outside of that as well?

On one hand, I don’t want to make my new post prone to dropping while riding due to two concentric surfaces being greased.

On the other hand, I don’t want my shim to be so tight in the tube that I can never get it out if I need to.

just use a very thin layer, just to ensure that it doesn't get stuck over time...make sense?

:)

just use a very thin layer, just to ensure that it doesn't get stuck over time...make sense?

:)

Actually, after closer inspection of the shim, it appears there is a small lip on top. That should effectively keep the shim from sliding downward with weight bearing on the seat.

Lubey dubey it is.

I believe all it is doing is inhibiting most oxidation which would/could cause some bonding of the metals,
making removal difficult, but i could be wrong :)

If you have ever tried to remove a rusted/corroded seatpost from a bike frame you would grease it every time. It's just one more thing to help prevent the metals from fusing. Also if the metals are dissimilar than the grease will also help fight galvanic corrosion.

If you have ever tried to remove a rusted/corroded seatpost from a bike frame you would grease it every time. It's just one more thing to help prevent the metals from fusing. Also if the metals are dissimilar than the grease will also help fight galvanic corrosion.
Grease on the seatpost keeps it from sliding. It's the opposite effect than what you would expect. I had a seatpost that was continually sliding. The light coat of grease made it stop.

Back