Shimano or Enviolo hub

ronniebellie

Local time
2:01 AM
I'm about ready to purchase a Priority Current. I have a choice between a regular Shimano hub or an enviolo hub which is a kind of continuous variable transmission (CVT).

Has anyone out there ever used an enviolo hub? What are your impressions? I've heard it adds about 2 lbs to the weight of the bike.

I'm about ready to purchase a Priority Current. I have a choice between a regular Shimano hub or an enviolo hub which is a kind of continuous variable transmission (CVT).

Has anyone out there ever used an enviolo hub? What are your impressions? I've heard it adds about 2 lbs to the weight of the bike.
I feel the a bit of drag on the Priority Current. It just doesn't coast anything like a non-electric bike. I'm not sure yet if it's the enviolo hub or the mid drive motor or typical e-bike quirk. So I would be curious if it's a similar issue with the Shimano hub which has a higher efficiency %, but a little less gearing range.

FYI.... Mine was delivered with a bent front wheel and brake rotor. Priority wouldn't replace it. Only after video and picture proof they said to bring it to a bike shop to repair and they would pay the bill afterwards. After 4, 22 minute trips to drop and pic-up my bike, attaching the bike rack twice and all the correspondence time, I had a repaired bike as a gift. I may have to repeat this because the bike still has other issues I'm concerned about. I loose about half of the batteries charge if it sits a week to 10 day's, according to the handlebar display. That's a lot of loss. I've checked it twice. Seems to me to be a parasitic drain. Bummer

I have test ridden an Enviola on a Specialized and ride a Shimano everyday. I much prefer the Shimano. YMMV.

Is that the 5 speed Shimano they use on the Priority Current? If so do you notice any difference resistance wise between the 2 when coasting?

I feel the a bit of drag on the Priority Current. It just doesn't coast anything like a non-electric bike. I'm not sure yet if it's the enviolo hub or the mid drive motor or typical e-bike quirk. So I would be curious if it's a similar issue with the Shimano hub which has a higher efficiency %, but a little less gearing range.

FYI.... Mine was delivered with a bent front wheel and brake rotor. Priority wouldn't replace it. Only after video and picture proof they said to bring it to a bike shop to repair and they would pay the bill afterwards. After 4, 22 minute trips to drop and pic-up my bike, attaching the bike rack twice and all the correspondence time, I had a repaired bike as a gift. I may have to repeat this because the bike still has other issues I'm concerned about. I loose about half of the batteries charge if it sits a week to 10 day's, according to the handlebar display. That's a lot of loss. I've checked it twice. Seems to me to be a parasitic drain. Bummer
Thanks for sharing your experience with your Priority Current. This is good information to know. I makes me think twice about moving forward with my purchase. It's a big investment for me, about $3,000. I hope the manufacturer is listening to these types of concerns.

I'm replying again to your post above which I find very helpful to me. I just emailed Priority customer service this message below in italics. Their response is under my message.

I was about to purchase the Priority Current via the Costco Next program, but came across this post below on ebikesforum.com. By the way, I’m a Costco Executive Member and have been since 1991. I almost always trust Costco’s vetting judgement, however, I am now questioning it.

Here’s the full post which I initiated.

Here’s my response to ERidesOn2 who had serious issues with his Priority Current.

Could you respond to this specific issue and explain why your company responded to the customer in such a manner?

Also, please provide insight into ERidesOn2’s comment "It just doesn't coast anything like a non-electric bike.”

I plan on posting your response on ebikesforum.com. If there is no response, I will post that as well.

Thank you.

Ron Belisle

Response from customer service below.

Hi Ron,

Thanks for following up, and for your thorough vetting. We always stand behind our bikes 100%, and do our best to help customers out in the rare instances in which there is an issue.

We ship our bikes to our customers, and every now and again a bike shows up with a small amount of shipping damage. While this is far from the norm, it is something that are happy to help deal with. We send the bikes with perfectly true/tensioned wheels and rotors. However, if FedEx ignores the THIS END UP and puts the box on its side, and piles weight on, the wheels can come out of tension and true. We do recommend a bike shop do the assembly or safety check, as this is included as part of their work, and common on bike shipping. Since the fix is generally quick, we suggest that customers simply bring the wheel into any local bike shop. Ask them to "true" or straighten the wheel, which should run about $10-$20 then snap a photo of the receipt so that we can refund the amount right away. If the wheel or rotor is irreparable, we are happy to replace them under warranty.
The Enviolo hub has more drag when pedaling compared to the Shimano hub, though with the power of the electric motor the difference is very hard to perceive. That being said, the Enviolo hub would not affect how the bike coasts. In instances like these we are happy to troubleshoot with our customers to make sure there isn't something else going on.
Reach out with any more questions!

Thanks,
Eddie

I ended writing Priority customer service asking this question below. Their response is under it.

Just off the top of your head, what percent of purchasers of the Priority Current choose the Enviolo hub over the Shimano hub?

Customer response below.

Basically 60/40 in favor of the Shimano. They offer different experiences for sure, and the Enviolo hub is the closest to maintenance free as you can get for an IGH. The Shimano feels quicker to me - especially with the ability to up-shift while pedaling. The Enviolo hub is about 2 lbs heavier. I think they're both great shifting options ultimately.

Kudos to Priority for their prompt and thoughtful response, IMO. They probably weren’t crazy about publicly addressing another customer’s experience on a message board, but they did, so points for them I guess.

I suspect with the weight of ebikes, some “un-truing” of wheels and rotors is relatively common depending on care during shipping. With chronic staff shortages in every industry right now, including shipping, I‘m guessing a lot of these delivery folks simply don’t have the ability to recognize every “This Side Up” label on every box. Unfortunately, they probably just get chucked in the truck.

Of course, the manufacturers can better offset this with improved packaging engineering (foam inserts, etc).

I felt my Aventon came well packaged, with lots of plastic attachments on the bike to protect it during weight shifts. Even so, and despite my LBS feeling otherwise, I think my front wheel was just a touch out of true after assembly.

I suspect with the weight of ebikes, some “un-truing” of wheels and rotors is relatively common depending on care during shipping. With chronic staff shortages in every industry right now, including shipping, I‘m guessing a lot of these delivery folks simply don’t have the ability to recognize every “This Side Up” label on every box. Unfortunately, they probably just get chucked in the truck.
I know my Addmotor bike arrived with the box exterior looking like it had passed through the Ukrainian battle-zone. Other than "tuning up" the front brake caliper it was well packaged and in good shape but I was sure nervous before I opened the box. Shippers are absolutely NOT handling large packages w/care.

RE: My Priority Current purchase.
Though mine wasn't the best experience because it came damaged, it wasn't caused by Priority, or necessarily FedEx, the delivery co. The box and packaging were top notch and there was nothing visible when it arrived that would lead me to think there was any damage. In FedEx's defense I would "guess" they weren't the first ones to handle the bike, and likely only take it from warehouse to consumer. Not origin manufacturer to consumer. Like I said... a guess. Unfortunately I could not just take the wheel to the shop, since the brake disc was also bent. If it was merely the wheel being out of true I would have just done it myself. I've built many sets of wheels and own the shop quality tools required. I have never owned a bike with disc brakes so I thought it best to bring the whole bike to the shop. I got it back perfect without the slightest wobble of the rim or scraping of the brake rotor. The mechanic commented "had it been any worse it would have had to be replaced". I'm not sure you could find a shop to do that for "$10 or $20" USD. FYI - I'm about 50 miles from Priority's Hudson St. address in NYC. No bargain shops in this zip code. I would have been ok to bring the wheel to them and swap it, but was told no, and that I must bring it to a shop, and then send them the bill. I did so and was promptly refunded by Priority. My experience was more just bad luck. I bought 3 bikes from Bikesdirect.com in the past 5 years, and thought they packaged their bikes well until the Priority Current arrived. It was packaged to the max. It was very surprising anything could have happened. So my long drawn out answer is "yes" I would buy it again because it checks all the boxes for a Gates belt drive, internal hub, build in lights, fenders, optional accessories including a rear rack with a built in auxiliary battery. That spells no range anxiety for the little lady to tag along.

Which hub ? Give up a little efficiency, but have the gearing ability to spin it to the programable 28mph limit, the Enviolo hub is my choice. Or save a few bucks and likely get a little more range with the Shimano 5 speed. You will have to spin a little faster when this thing gets rolling in high gear especially downhill. Sorry no $ Rohloff $ hubs yet. :(

I'm still sorting out a couple of other issues like a spongy frame that seems to go into a shimmy if you sit up and take your hands off the bars momentarily. It's not the front wheel. Also the primary battery will discharge down to half from full, if stored for more than a week to 10 days. More on these when I do more research.

RE: My Priority Current purchase.
Though mine wasn't the best experience because it came damaged, it wasn't caused by Priority, or necessarily FedEx, the delivery co. The box and packaging were top notch and there was nothing visible when it arrived that would lead me to think there was any damage. In FedEx's defense I would "guess" they weren't the first ones to handle the bike, and likely only take it from warehouse to consumer. Not origin manufacturer to consumer. Like I said... a guess. Unfortunately I could not just take the wheel to the shop, since the brake disc was also bent. If it was merely the wheel being out of true I would have just done it myself. I've built many sets of wheels and own the shop quality tools required. I have never owned a bike with disc brakes so I thought it best to bring the whole bike to the shop. I got it back perfect without the slightest wobble of the rim or scraping of the brake rotor. The mechanic commented "had it been any worse it would have had to be replaced". I'm not sure you could find a shop to do that for "$10 or $20" USD. FYI - I'm about 50 miles from Priority's Hudson St. address in NYC. No bargain shops in this zip code. I would have been ok to bring the wheel to them and swap it, but was told no, and that I must bring it to a shop, and then send them the bill. I did so and was promptly refunded by Priority. My experience was more just bad luck. I bought 3 bikes from Bikesdirect.com in the past 5 years, and thought they packaged their bikes well until the Priority Current arrived. It was packaged to the max. It was very surprising anything could have happened. So my long drawn out answer is "yes" I would buy it again because it checks all the boxes for a Gates belt drive, internal hub, build in lights, fenders, optional accessories including a rear rack with a built in auxiliary battery. That spells no range anxiety for the little lady to tag along.

Which hub ? Give up a little efficiency, but have the gearing ability to spin it to the programable 28mph limit, the Enviolo hub is my choice. Or save a few bucks and likely get a little more range with the Shimano 5 speed. You will have to spin a little faster when this thing gets rolling in high gear especially downhill. Sorry no $ Rohloff $ hubs yet. :(

I'm still sorting out a couple of other issues like a spongy frame that seems to go into a shimmy if you sit up and take your hands off the bars momentarily. It's not the front wheel. Also the primary battery will discharge down to half from full, if stored for more than a week to 10 days. More on these when I do more research.
Thanks for sharing your experience. Very useful info.

Good luck Ron,
I've been riding everything on 2 wheels since Greg LeMond was on a trike. However this is my first ebike. My biggest concern is why the battery level drops so much when turned off and not in use. I'm going to fully charge it today and do the same test with the battery out of the bike and give it at least a week. Then I'll have more helpfull details for Eddie at Priority. I did get the back rack and auxiliary battery because it is very hard to manage 8 to 10 mph even on a flat rail trail. I would think my wife would have trouble to maintain 5 or 6 mph. It's pretty heavy with 2 batteries, besides being an ebike. I didn't get a manual with the bike so I have no reference to what is normal. Priority emailed me a couple of pages to explain how to operate the display, and that was it. I have nothing about the batteries, or charging procedures, or what the lights mean, or what goes on when the primary battery exhausts and switches to auxiliary batt? If you can plug in once to charge both? No manual for the 7 to $800 auxiliary either. Weird... Maybe they like you to call them and ask stupid questions. :ROFLMAO:

So Ron, have you made your decision yet?
The snow’s gonna be falling soon you know. ;)

I have the Enviolo hub on my e-bike and I do feel that it is a bit harder to pedal without motor assistance versus and e-bike with similar wait and a traditional chain drive bike transmission. With the motor, I don't notice any drag. I love the easy shifting with the Enviolo. There is like and endless number of combinations depending on the terrain and I have quickly gotten used to it. It is very smooth.

I have the Enviolo hub on my e-bike and I do feel that it is a bit harder to pedal without motor assistance versus and e-bike with similar wait and a traditional chain drive bike transmission. With the motor, I don't notice any drag. I love the easy shifting with the Enviolo. There is like and endless number of combinations depending on the terrain and I have quickly gotten used to it. It is very smooth.
Thank you Ebike Skibum. Question. Even though the Enviolo hub is "a bit harder to pedal without motor assistance versus an e-bike with similar wait and a traditional chain drive bike transmission," knowing what you know now, would you still go the Enviolo route?

I got a Priority Current. It rides pretty good. Two other ebikes that I've owned a Raleigh and Blix Aveny. I like this bike a lot. I got a Shimano hub from Costco Next. Great bike.

I know my Addmotor bike arrived with the box exterior looking like it had passed through the Ukrainian battle-zone. Other than "tuning up" the front brake caliper it was well packaged and in good shape but I was sure nervous before I opened the box. Shippers are absolutely NOT handling large packages w/care.
The only good experience I've had with Rattan was the packing material inside the box. I too was afraid the bike would be bent into a pretzel by the look of the box but Rattan sprays foam inside the box which protected the bike. They did send me a broken display that was no fault of shipping and still haven't resolved that but they know how to ship a bike

My daughter and I have both ridden Capital Bike-share bikes in DC, with both Enviolo cvt and Shimano three speed hubs. Both of us quickly began to grab the bike with the CVT. We noticed no difference in required effort or in coasting, and shifting the CVT bikes quickly becomes something you don't even have to think about. I'd recommend the CVT.
Also, on my recommendation, my brother in law just bought a priority turi, and he's in love with it.

My daughter and I have both ridden Capital Bike-share bikes in DC, with both Enviolo cvt and Shimano three speed hubs. Both of us quickly began to grab the bike with the CVT. We noticed no difference in required effort or in coasting, and shifting the CVT bikes quickly becomes something you don't even have to think about. I'd recommend the CVT.
Also, on my recommendation, my brother in law just bought a priority turi, and he's in love with it.
Thanks for the info Dan. I ended up buying the Priority Current with the Enviolo CVT about a month ago. Great bike. Rode it a lot the first two weeks, but now snow has set in in our area (eastern Washington), so probably won't get on it until next Spring. I posted a write-up on this forum about my experience HERE,

Back