Shimano E6100 Motor noises, clunking and whirring, Merida Espresso e500

banj911

My Shimano e6100 equipped Merida has barely reached 200km total and started making a clicking/clunking noise. The noise was only apparent when the motor was providing assistance, and noisier as the torque applied to the pedals increased. I shot a video of the issue and during the recording the clicking/clunking gave way to a whirring noise that was actually resisting the pedalling force, as though the motor was acting as a dynamo, sucking power from my legs rather than assisting. I turned the system off and took it to a bike shop for them to look at. After some back and forth, Shimano have agreed to look at the motor even though it is past its 2 year warranty period. Has anyone come across anything similar?

Hoggdoc

Website
activityphoto.com
Wow that doesn't sound good at all. At first I thought it might be a derailleur adjustment issue. Then the weird other noises started. I'm curious what did the dealers tech think it might be? Hope Shimano makes it right for you as I bet you paid a pretty penny for the bike.

banj911

Wow that doesn't sound good at all. At first I thought it might be a derailleur adjustment issue. Then the weird other noises started. I'm curious what did the dealers tech think it might be? Hope Shimano makes it right for you as I bet you paid a pretty penny for the bike.
I hope Shimano come through with goods too. It was complete luck (bad luck?) that during the video recording the sound and operation of the motor went from bad to worse. I have been quoted Aust $1000 for a new motor. I hope it doesn’t come to that. Edit: the shop initially thought it may have been a torque sensor issue but it did not have any error codes for that.

banj911

So, a positive development today, Shimano have assessed the motor and agreed to replace it!
I did ask what the problem was and have not yet had a reply from the warranty team, but will update this post if I find out. Edit: motor suffered an internal issue - no more detail than that.
Kudos to Shimano, I'm very pleased that they decided to back their product.
I can't wait to get back on the road.

Hoggdoc

Website
activityphoto.com
So, a positive development today, Shimano have assessed the motor and agreed to replace it!
I did ask what the problem was and have not yet had a reply from the warranty team, but will update this post if I find out. Edit: motor suffered an internal issue - no more detail than that.
Kudos to Shimano, I'm very pleased that they decided to back their product.
I can't wait to get back on the road.
Good they should have stood behind their product they sure charge enough of it.

Top Bottom