Shawn from Ontario, Canada,

I have some health limitations that prevent me from enjoying the full cycling experience. I have COPD, so the amount of pedaling effort I can supply to the equation is severely limited. My question is this: is there a mid-mount or hub motor (24") that does NOT have pedal-assist software or capability? In other words, what I really need is a motor that I can use nearly full time. I need to retain the pedals to comply with local laws.

Welcome, Shawn!

Just look for an eTrike with a throttle and you should be all set. If you plan to use it full time, throttle comfort might be a factor, so you’ll probably want to decide between a thumb throttle or a twist throttle (I would likely choose the latter if I throttled often).

Keep in mind also that eTrikes are heavier, and by throttling full time, you’ll likely have reduced battery range.

Good luck!

A Bafang BBS02 mid drive would fit that bill nicely and I agree with Snoop that a twist throttle would be best. Depending on the speed you prefer set the power level to 1 or 2 and just ghost pedal. What that means is you just use your legs enough to turn the cranks. The motor will sense that and apply power. That way you get to move your legs but with little effort. And when or if it gets you too tired just use the throttle. Alternatively a geared hub motor in a 24" hub would offer the same ability. Since I am familiar with the Bafang motors they work well.
In fact I have a home made Delta trike on which the mid motor was removed for another home build and the trike is getting a 48V 500watt front bafang geared hub motor with a thumb throttle. Check out the Atomic Zombie site for ideas on plans. I have built the Warrior tadpole and 3 deltas using Brads plans as inspiration

I suggest a front hub motor. Ready installation. The impact on the balance of the trike will be minimal. Given that it is a trike I'm guessing that mountain biking is out of the equation, so no problems there.

There are many options available. I have been looking at Violamart and Yose Power for low cost options, or Ebikeling for a bit more.

Thanks guys! My plan is to use a modified Warrior tadpole configuration. Forgot to mention I am a tad on the heavy side, so would you recommend a 750w unit? I am not worried about the legality, 99% of the police officers out there wouldn't know the difference or how to check it. Since it's a tadpole, I also have the opportunity to run two battery packs mounted to the rear of the seat back.

If legality is not a factor, then I suppose the higher wattage option would be the better choice, especially for a trike and if you are on the stockier side.

Go big or go home, right? ;)

If you go the Warrior route use slightly heavier tubing than the plans call for, when they were made e assist was quite rare so the trike was not designed for the extra power plus consider some additional bracing. When I built my Delta trikes the local metal supermarket had a deal on 1 1/4" square tube 1/8" thick. Heavy stuff but our roads are pretty bad. The salesman asked if I was planning on going across Canada. And I was using a 750 watt mid drive for power as well. What I did was take a little JB weld and use it to cover the underside of the motor where it says 750 watts. If you don't ride like an idiot the police have better things to do than check e bikes for power levels. The laws here in Canada are kinda outdated at 500 watts max anyway. Almost every Chinese rear hub motor bike is 750.

I've used Biktrix and Golden Motor in the past. Golden Motor is in Cambridge Ont I believe. Best to call them I think they do a lot of their shipping out of the U.S. Another source is from Ali express, I have bought some Bafang motors from Greenenergy. They also ship most of their products from the U.S. As a side note I'm in Winnipeg

Back