Setting PAS speed levels

crestone_ebikes

Local time
8:44 AM
I understand this is a common problem. At level1 my PAS runs at 16 mph (way too fast!) History: This was a complete rear hub motor, controller, throttle and display kit purchased by another party and installed on a fat bike(they lost the receipts and instructions!) I under stand I need to update or correct the settings with software for the controller/display. The display (APT 850C) has a usb port. The controller itself has no port, so the settings must be done through, presumably, the display, software and a laptop. How do I find the appropriate software and connecting cable for the display usb port? Thank you!

The USB port - usually a USB-A - is a charge port for a USB appliance... like your phone. Its not a data port.

The 850C display is most likely a Bafang-compatible 850C display that is commonly re-branded by whatever vendor put it on their product. These displays do not have any control over individual PAS levels. If you had a Bafang mid drive, you could disconnect the display, connect a 'programming' device (which you would have to buy at least a cable for and then plug into a laptop) and have considerable customization options. But a hub controller is going to have pretty much zero in the way of individual PAS level customization. Same is generally true of almost all controllers that govern hubs. The one exception I know of are the Key-Disp displays that are OEM'd to companies like Sondors for their hub motor controllers, back when they were in business. In all cases what is needed is a matching controller and display. KT controllers always need KT displays as the displays provide the window into a couple of dozen controller settings (none of which provide level-by-level PAS output customization).

I'm sure there's something out there in addition, but its not a common feature on a hub motor... even if it is a commonly-voiced desire.

One way to get a result if you have a KT controller/display setup (i.e. you pull out what you have and buy new) is adjust the C5 setting to dial back the amps on the controller output. Amps = torque and acceleration rate, so while thats not what you are asking for, it does reduce the power that the motor delivers to the rear wheel.

Awesome. Gracias Spock! I guess I was prepared for this. I will replace the controller and display with one from Kungtang (KT?) that I had good luck with on a Bafang rear hub motor. I also replaced the throttle. I ordered it directly from Kungtang in China. Any suggestions that might be better?

KT is Kunteng :), or the long form that nobody uses: Suzhou Kunteng Electronics Co., Ltd.

For all my hub motors I use KT controllers and displays. So I'm not the guy to recommend an alternative. But you do want to make sure the hub motor is compatible with a KT controller. It probably is, but there are no guarantees in life.

Take a look at the KT-LCD4 display. Its as small as an EggRider v2 and only costs about 30 bucks if you are willing to wait for it to arrive from China via AliExpress. About double that from Amazon, although I got a deal on two for $50 from there. It uses a backlit LCD display so its visible in any light or darkness.

Awesome. Gracias Spock! I guess I was prepared for this. I will replace the controller and display with one from Kungtang (KT?) that I had good luck with on a Bafang rear hub motor. I also replaced the throttle. I ordered it directly from Kungtang in China. Any suggestions that might be better?

KT is Kunteng :), or the long form that nobody uses: Suzhou Kunteng Electronics Co., Ltd.

For all my hub motors I use KT controllers and displays. So I'm not the guy to recommend an alternative. But you do want to make sure the hub motor is compatible with a KT controller. It probably is, but there are no guarantees in life.

Take a look at the KT-LCD4 display. Its as small as an EggRider v2 and only costs about 30 bucks if you are willing to wait for it to arrive from China via AliExpress. About double that from Amazon, although I got a deal on two for $50 from there. It uses a backlit LCD display so its visible in any light or darkness.
Muchas gracias! Will report back on results. (Will be awhile I expect). Also going to check with Grin, although their stuff is expensive. Have you used their Cycle Analyst?

No you have to really want to use that thing to go there. If all you want is a display that's swatting a fly with a flamethrower.
Looking at the CA features, I saw that the feature that I had hoped for, resetting the PAS speeds, is not there. Guess that would be a very tall order considering that each manufacturer has its own firm ware. Ordered KT controller and LCD4(Thanks again). There are some controllers out there that have a "test" cable and connector. What is that? Have you ever attempted to attach a port to a controller(solder?) in order to use the manufacturer's firmware for changing settings?

I've never had a need for that. Either I use KT controllers for hubs, or BBSHD mid drives which have their own rich settings interface where you can do all kinds of very finely detailed tuning.

I've also built a bike with a Cyclone, which had *nothing* in the way of customizability, but those motors are all about brute force. I've aldso got a Cyc X1 Pro which has a rich controller interface, but that whole platform requires a lot of babysitting, troubleshooting and tinkering.

Gracias. I will await the kt controller and display from China and hope for the best. I'm accumulating an array of miscellaneous unmatched components. oh well. Will look for ways to use them up.

I'm accumulating an array of miscellaneous unmatched components. oh well. Will look for ways to use them up.
At one point I had enough leftover components I built Frankenbike out of them. I didn't have to buy anything. It was almost completely parts I had upgraded off of other bikes, including the frame, which was my one and only frame I stripped, painted and clearcoated myself. Learned my lesson and had them all powder-coated after that.

The color is MFP Yellow by the way. Google that and click on Image Search :)

img_20170922_183215[1].jpg

From that point forward I tried to only build bikes, not buy and upgrade them.

Back