Senada hub sound

mocles

Local time
6:30 PM
I bought this bike a month ago and the hub sounds like it is going to fly apart. Can anyone diagnose this by the video posted? Nothing is hitting the wheel and the caliper is adjusted. When I'm riding and I turn the motor off and peddle the bike, it is quiet. Spokes are tight.

Sounds like a magnet let loose, or one of the gears is damaged, I would send this vid to warranty. Hub motors mak a little noise, but not like that.

Sounds like a magnet let loose, or one of the gears is damaged, I would send this vid to warranty. Hub motors mak a little noise, but not like that.
When you say gears do you mean on the freewheel or internally in the motor? Because I switched it to 11 to 34 tooth freewheel but both the original and the aftermarket still had the same sound.

No worries, what does it sound like if you spin the wheel backwards?

OK. only other option I think at this point, is to remove that back wheel, and take a look at the inside of the hub motor. Otherwise I would try and get a replacement motor or motor/wheel under warranty. Does it make that sound under a load (riding, climbing hills etc.)?

OK. only other option I think at this point, is to remove that back wheel, and take a look at the inside of the hub motor. Otherwise I would try and get a replacement motor or motor/wheel under warranty. Does it make that sound under a load (riding, climbing hills etc.)?
It clacks when under load but it seems to be louder at lower speeds...maybe because road noise drowns the noise at higher speeds. I'm trying the warranty route. How does one take the case apart on a hub where the phase wires are on the rotor side?

On all the hub motors I've had you can pull the wheel, remove the case bolts, and separate it. I know there are millions of variations of the motors, so yours may be different. Do a Y tube search, there are a lot of vids on this.

I hope you are dealing with the factory. I had trouble with my new bike controller and they were pretty fast on getting me parts

I hope you are dealing with the factory. I had trouble with my new bike controller and they were pretty fast on getting me parts
Yes I am. I'm in no rush right now....too cold out. It's been a week so far. So when I put the hub motor in should I use automotive grease or use some ptfe based lubricant in it? They want me to send the old hub back.

Looks like my hub motor was delayed in customs because of some description discrepancy. In Alaska.

I agree but sounds more like missing tooth on one the internal gears.
You were right!

PXL_20230121_001447273.MP.jpg

But.....while putting the brake rotors on the holes for the rotor bolts are undersized and the bolts would not go all the way down and the bolt threads got wrecked.....now buying tap set and new m5 rotor bolts...!

IMG_20230120_200403.jpg

Oh boy sorry I was right now see if you can find a replacement gear. Any idea who made the motor?
don't know but I did get the replacement but with the brake rotor holes undersized. I pulled the motor when I got the new motor but when I was putting it together the rotor holes stopped me from reinstalling everything.

Does it bottom out with the rotor installed?
No, not even close. I had to buy a tap&die set to get it right. Also had to buy new rotor screws since two of the originals I stripped the heads. It seems as though they didn't Tap the holes deep enough. M5 x .8 is the thread size and pitch. Murphy's law all the time.

Back