Sailnovo "folding" eBike Review

Just being honest:

Teenagers going through puberty are not exactly the most coordinated in their physical movements.

Operator error is hardly the machine's fault.

There are good reasons why these micro ebikes have speed limit around 25-30 km/h.
↑ It's true and my daughter is an especially clumsy and inattentive one.

However, I rode the bike quite a bit too. Believe me when I tell you ANYONE is at a high risk of crashing if s/he lets go of one grip of this bike.

I've ridden a lot of bicycles and motorcycles a lot of miles over the past 40 years and never experienced anything so unstable with one hand. Many of those miles were 1 or 0-handed, too!

I really wanted to like this bike. I was looking at the bright sides right from the beginning, but this is a big enough downside that I can't recommend it at all.

There are good reasons why its specification from the factory is as low-powered & lower speed limit with its motor.
Maybe it is not designed nor meant to be ridden at higher speeds.

Having ridden both motorcycles & bicycles for less than four decades; I know to operate vehicles within their original designation and limits from the factory.

If any 2-wheeled vehicle is designed to be operated one or zero handed, I have yet to encounter one.

You may want to like the bike, but expecting it to perform beyond its design & capabilities; you're just setting yourself up for disappointment.

Why do you think I was operating it beyond its design specifications? It was not modified. I will go max 18.6 mph unless you're going off a cliff. At anything over about 10 mph, it is unstable if you DARE to take one hand off the bar.

Anyway, it's clear you don't believe me, as you see me as somehow incompetent to render judgment.

You seem to have had a lot of eBikes, bought and sold for lesser reasons. Go spend the $500 to buy a Sailnovo and ride it one-handed, preferably at top speed as you do a shoulder-check. Then tell me what you think, once you're all bandaged up. Maybe after this dose of karma things will appear different.

It's not designed to be operated by one or no handed, that's all I meant.

Wishing me karma doesn't make it any easier or meant to be operated with one hand.

Well, you like to experiment with different eBikes. Why not buy one yourself and give it a try? Let me know what you think.

The seller of this bike somehow got me banned from writing a review of the product. I went to go revise it and couldn't. Amazon said I am not allowed to review that product any more.

I found the bike in another color and left an updated review.

Today, that seller somehow got my email address and asked me for more details so they could help make it right. I thought about not replying to not confirm they actually got my email, but decided to give them some feedback. I told them about all three crashes on it, as well as my experience NOT crashing. (but that it is unstable)

I told them I gave it away and it is too late to help me, but thanks anyway. I recommend that they redesign the bike with more stable steering geometry, and in the meantime, include a stuffer sheet with a stern warning about ever letting go of a hand grip while riding it.

I don't think they'll do anything about the design; they just want to charm me into changing my review.

I have similar micro ebikes with small 16" and 14" wheels.
I know better not to try riding them one-handed or no-handed for any amount of time.
Even though I do it quite frequently, I know if something happens, that's on me, not the ebike manufacturer or seller.
It's not the manufacturer or seller's fault if you're submitting review of their product for something that it was not designed for.

I have similar micro ebikes with small 16" and 14" wheels.
I know better not to try riding them one-handed or no-handed for any amount of time.
Even though I do it quite frequently, I know if something happens, that's on me, not the ebike manufacturer or seller.
It's not the manufacturer or seller's fault if you're submitting review of their product for something that it was not designed for.
That's the thing: this bike is IMMEDIATELY going into a death wobble if you release one hand grip.
I'm done trying to convince you, though. I've been riding bikes one-handed and no-handed my whole life. I know what they should feel like. There should be SOME inherent stability from the steering geometry, and this bike lacks that.

This morning, the person from the Amazon seller offered me a $100 bribe to change my 1-star review to a 5-star one. I declined.

That's the thing: this bike is IMMEDIATELY going into a death wobble if you release one hand grip.
I'm done trying to convince you, though. I've been riding bikes one-handed and no-handed my whole life. I know what they should feel like. There should be SOME inherent stability from the steering geometry, and this bike lacks that.

This morning, the person from the Amazon seller offered me a $100 bribe to change my 1-star review to a 5-star one. I declined.

You don't have to convince me of anything.
If the bike was designed to be operated with one hand, it would only have one grip with all the controls accessible on one side.

You keep saying that someone is offering you money to change your review, can you provide any proof of these offer?
How are they going to send you payment?
Do you have this seller's handle on Amazon?
Maybe a screenshot of the offer message?

This is getting way off track and I'm done with the bike.

As you said, I don't have to prove anything to you.

If you say so.
It would be honest review if you have reviewed the bike within its designed operations.

To be honest, it would just so much easier if you could just show some evidence to support your claim of these offers to remove your reviews in your original posts.

If you say so.
It would be honest review if you have reviewed the bike within its designed operations.

To be honest, it would just so much easier if you could just show some evidence to support your claim of these offers to remove your reviews in your original posts.
His thread, his reviews. No reason for you to antagonize him, @"A"
Most everyone at one time or another takes one, if not two hands off their bikes.

Now quit derailing Smaugs thread, enough is enough, capiche?

Let me just say that riding one-handed does not imply recklessness.

I never ride one-handed as a matter of course on any bike. But…

If I need to adjust my glasses or helmet mirror or adjust the volume on my phone or scratch my nose or swat at a bee or whatever, removing one hand momentarily from the bars should not result in an immediate death wobble. If it does - and I have no reason to doubt Smaug in that regard - it’s a hazardous failing of the bike’s design and is unacceptable.

Like any skill, it takes practice to master.
I didn't imply recklessness.
How much time have you spent riding a micro ebike with tiny 16" or 14" wheels to determine its "hazardous failings"?

I have converted my micro ebikes with longer stem that allow different steering characters that fit my personal preference.
I still practiced good 20 minutes in my driveway before heading out into the streets.
cgXVY14.jpg

As a bicycle & motorcycle rider for over 3 decades,
I know the responsibility I have as a rider to practice my skills before heading out on public streets where I could endanger not only myself, but others while operating any vehicle.
That is my due diligence, not the manufacturer or seller of the vehicle.

Like any skill, it takes practice to master.
I didn't imply recklessness.
How much time have you spent riding a micro ebike with tiny 16" or 14" wheels to determine its "hazardous failings"?
Effectively, none. I was responding to Smaug’s assertions of immediate wobble with one hand removed on his particular bike. I have no way of knowing if that’s because of an issue with setup, tires (pressure, tread style or compliance), headset bearings too tight or too loose, wheel issues (bearings or out of true) etc. It would be good to know if other Salvino owners report a similar issue, or not.

These micro ebikes are designed for low speed usage, speeds do not exceed much more than walking pace, under 20 or 18 km/h (10-12 mph).
Typical riders (are shorter, below 5'6") I see in NYC are operating them on sidewalks, carrying groceries & kids (under 40 lb.) to school with their micro ebikes.
For myself, I can get by with using super narrow handlebars and filter through bumper-to-bumper traffic with it at 20-25 km/h; but that's about the extent of its designated top speed.
I could operate it at higher speeds, but not without the risk of endangering myself or others on the road going significantly higher.

My wife & I could ride these micro ebikes on smooth bike paths for hours.
I fitted wider handlebars with sweepback in addition to the longer stem for her micro ebike to further stabilize the steering sensitivity.
Wife likes the motor & throttle, but she still prefers her acoustic road bike for stability & general ease of operation at higher speeds (around 18-20 mph).
8WizhxX.jpg

Right tool for the right job is the main lesson.
As I said before:
You may want to like the bike, but expecting it to perform beyond its design & capabilities; you're just setting yourself up for disappointment.
Honest review of these micro ebikes is to judge them by their proper (designated) usage.

<snip>
Honest review of these micro ebikes is to judge them by their proper (designated) usage.
The bike will go 18.6 mph (30 kph) at full throttle and on flat ground. This was a design decision by Sailnovo.

Therefore, that is their designated usage. Whether YOU consider it too fast or not is irrelevant.

By the way, it wobbles at < 18.6 mph, even down to 12 mph.

Speedometer most cars can go well over 120 mph, doesn't mean it's safe nor responsible to do so on public streets.
Use your common sense.

Have you check the tire pressure, tire bead seating, tire balance to determine possible sources of wobbling?

Back