Ride1Up Core5 versus Juiced Crosscurrent S2

racybike

Local time
1:17 AM
Hi you all, first time poster here. I'm looking into buying my first e-bike real soon, and I've narrowed it down to the Ride1Up Core 5 and Juiced Crosscurrent S. I've read many reviews and I think these two bikes offer the most value for the money. The most important things to me in a e-bike are speed and range. They're both class 3 bikes rated up to 28 mph so that's good.

They Crosscurrent S has better specs. It has a 52V, 15 ah battery. Both bikes have 750 watt motors, but the Crosscurrent S has more torque, 80Nm. The range on this bike is up to 65 miles.

The Ride1Up Core 5 has a battery of 48V, 12.8 ah. The motor puts out 60Nm of torque. However both bikes are class 3 rated up to 28 mph. The Core 5 has a shorter range of 25-45 miles.

Obviously the Crosscurrent S is the better bike, but the Core 5 might be fine for me. I bike for recreation. I live in the Phoenix area and I like to take the trail up to my local park which is 2.5 miles away. I might meander around the park a little, and bike back. Basically 5-6 miles total. I don't see myself ever going more than 8 miles with this e-bike. Well, the Core 5 should handle that with ease right?

Furthermore, there are some things I like better about the Core 5:

The Core 5 is less expensive, $1200 versus $1500.

It uses mechanical disk brakes which I like better. I have hydraulic brakes on my mountain bike, bleeding and refilling the brakes is a pain. I wish I had mechanical disk brakes instead.

The Ride1Up Core 5 has a standard fork which I like better. My Cannondale mountain bike has a suspension fork which is basically a useless spring, no dampening whatsoever.

The Core 5 looks like it has a more relaxed riding position. I'm 5'9, 215lbs (I'm going to lose some weight). My mountain bike has an aggressive riding position, and I feel like my stomach is compressed, making it hard to breath. A slightly more upright position sounds nice!

Although the battery isn't as powerful on the Core 5, replacements are cheaper, $459 for a 14ah versus $799 for the Juiced battery (19.2ah).

And lastly, the Core 5 is 10 lbs lighter than the Crosscurrent S, 49 lbs versus 59 lbs. That's got to help with range and speed I would think.

As you can tell I'm leaning towards the Ride1Up Core 5, but I wanted your all's input. I think they're both established brands that aren't going anywhere. I want to know that I can get replacement parts several years down the road.

Thanks for reading, I'm so excited about getting an e-bike!

Matt

Edit: The Crosscurrent S has a torque sensor for pedal assist, that might be important. I might want to gear down and push a taller gear. The Core 5 has only a cadence sensor, it would just think I'm pedalling slow and not assist me.

DaveO

Local time
12:17 AM
I have the Core 5 and like it a lot. Comfortable riding position. I'm 5'11 217lbs. The pedal assist kicks in as soon as I begin rotation and stops the motor when I glide. Just like it should. I shift down when coming to a stop light but If I forget, I sometimes use the throttle for a quick start up. My buddy rides an Aventon. My Core 5 has more power, I ride at assist level 1 while he is at 3. I have about 7 more mph top speed (28.5). My battery lasts longer. His motor is quieter. I am going to purchase a second Core 5 for my wife. A step through for her.

procreator

Local time
2:17 AM
I was considering the Core-5 but went with the Series 500 because at the time it was a better value. No regrets whatsoever.

I like a more upright riding posture, so I added an adjustable handlebar stem to bring the handlebars up and closer to me. I may change out the handlebars for a wider set, but there is enough cable length to allow for that.

I cannot speak to Juiced since I have no experience with them, however, I have been very impressed with the thoroughness of R1U's online documentation and their responsiveness to my email questions.

racybike

Local time
1:17 AM
Thanks for your all's input. There are a lot of Black Friday sales going on with the different e-bike companies. Juiced has the Crosscurrent S2 on sale for $1200. Juiced also has the Ripcurrent model which looks a little more comfortable than the Crosscurrent.
https://www.juicedbikes.com/products/ripcurrent?variant=39327498633280
The step through is on sale for $1300. Unfortunately the step over model is $300 more. And I don't know about those 4" fat tires, I'm sure they're fun and soft but that takes extra energy to push them. I'll make a decision soon, don't want to rush this. Matt

Top Bottom