Review: Padonow "Smart" bike Tail Light with anti-theft alarm.

CloneWerks

Local time
7:08 AM
Padonow "Smart" bike Tail Light with anti-theft alarm.
Purchased from Amazon.com $30 USD

Screen Shot 08-09-22 at 03.35 PM.PNG

Full disclosure, I'm a gadget geek and a complete sucker for "extra features" so be warned in advance (LOL).

This tail light is a fairly compact and appears to be reasonably rugged. It is powered by in internal battery that is rechargeable via Micro-USB and has the following features;
  • Multiple Flashing modes including "daylight sensing" (turns off in full daylight to conserve battery) or always on.
  • Multiple brightness levels
  • Auto brake light (triggered by an internal accelerometer)
  • Auto shut-off when stationary (triggered by an internal accelerometer)
  • Auto re-activation when moved (triggered by an internal accelerometer)
  • Electronic horn
  • Electronic "tamper warning" and full blown "car alarm"
  • Sounds also have 3 volume levels to select from

Weather resistance: The unit says it is IPX X5 waterproof. The seal for the USB charge port and the rubber button over the manual switch seem to be well designed and of quality material. I closed the USB port and sprayed this unit pretty hard with a hose (higher pressure than you'd get from riding in the rain) from various directions for about 5 minutes and saw no signs at all of water intrusion nor did it affect the functionality. [EDIT: I did forget to test the handlebar fob]. I left the unit sitting in the hot sun until the surface registered 106 degrees and also stuck it in the freezer until it got down to 30 degrees. Temperature did not seem to affect functionality though I suspect cold would reduce runtime just like any battery powered device.

Durability: I dropped this unit from 5 different angles from about 4ft height onto hard packed dirt and then did the same on blacktop. The edge of the lens got scuffed and dented but nothing cracked or broke and the unit appears to have retained it's functionality and waterproofness. I performed the same test with the fob and the only result was a slightly scratched fob.

The Alarm (and horn): Sure having a "car alarm" on your bike is a gimmick, but damn the thing is LOUD! I've seen some reviews that state their unit is not loud at all and I can only conclude that those reviewers got a faulty unit because mine is icepick-in-the-ear piercing loud. Once the alarm is set, a small bump will trigger a brief "don't touch me" alert. Continued vibrations will trigger a full blown 3 minute car alarm. The sensitivity of the alarm is adjustable so that random gusts of wind or other small vibrations don't set it off constantly. I like the electronic "bike horn" function because now I have my nice, polite, little bell on the handlebars...but then also have this loud WHAAAANK horn as well if you need something a bit more...strident.

Function and Duration: The modes are well suited to this light, the flashing is bright, even decently daylight bright and the brake light function is just plain cool (slow down and the accelerometer makes it solid and extra bright for 3 seconds). The advertising copy claims "up to 40 hrs of operation". I don't know about that but I hooked it up to something to keep it moving and left it running for 8 hours and, judging by the time it took to recharge, it still had plenty of life left. I also like that I can run a usb cable from the battery of my eBike to the tail light, and charge it in place. Handy and convenient.

Conclusion: At $30 a decently built bike light with all of these features is an absolute steal! I wish it somehow alerted the Fob if the alarm is going off, but that would probably add a lot of expense.

Recommendation: Buy it!

Links to Amazon may include affiliate code. If you click on an Amazon link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
I put one on my bike yesterday while installing my new saddle. I think its a great little device. I needed a better bell or horn, and more rear lighting. This thing does it all. The horn is very loud, and the alarm makes my eardrums vibrate. It's loud! Must have got a good one. I hope it holds up, because it's everything in one small package that I wanted and more. The accelerometer is neat. I haven't messed with sensitivity or sound settings, since I think the default settings are fine.

Just ordered this for the aventure. I like the auto shut off feature.
Heck, I like the whole thing :)

(y)

It's pretty slick. The only negative I have is run time. I charge it before my 3rd ride.
ok, in seen it can be plugged into the usb port while riding.
I didnt even know the aventure had one till looked at the manual :ROFLMAO:

So there's that. Does your bike have the usb port?

I really like my light, but it Hates to be left in the cold garage overnight. Battery must be recharged frequently. I just have to remember to do it. Sure would be nice to somehow rig up a USB port and have it charging while underway.

Let me know how well that rubber usb cover still seals after being baked in the sun for a year.

Most I have seen get brittle and stiff and no longer seal after about a year, more or less.

Then you get water intrusion and have to buy another one.

Back