Replacing lead acid batteries.

Ebiker64

Local time
1:56 PM
I need to replace the 12v 12ah lead acid batteries in my 5 year old ebike. Can I use 12v 7ah instead, cost is a big factor. I can get them for $25 each new.

You can, but your range will be roughly half what it was, and if you have large loads on the battery, lifetime will be greatly shortened.

You can, but your range will be roughly half what it was, and if you have large loads on the battery, lifetime will be greatly shortened.
Thank you for answering my question. I don't travel very far anyway, just around a small town with not many hills so hopefully it will be okay. My problem was cost, I need to replace 4 batteries in another bike I bought (without test driving it) and 3 in my bike as well. I can get 7 batteries for $25 each with free shipping for over $150 spent, so trying to kill 2 birds with 1 stone. Or fix 2 bikes with not much money. Cheapskate. Thanks

Where did you buy your battery from? In Australia? Also is it easy to convert from lead acid batteries to lithium ions and then there's the charger to consider. Would the old charger work on the new battery, possibly not. I am pretty clueless. $175 gets me new batteries for 2 bikes, I have a friend who will rewire them for very little cost. I need to replace the batteries on the second bike so I can sell it in working order to try and recoup some of the money I foolishly spent buying it. Did you buy that battery online?

Back