Replace or Swap Controller - How to find the correct Controller?

TrimmCreateBuilder

Local time
3:45 AM
Hello,

I am trying to replace this controller I have here :

20230208-162033.jpg

How do I find the correct replacement?

I have done some research on ebay to find a few but none seem to be the same, so it seems I may have to do some end connections or wiring harness changes.

Is the best course to replace the entire system or just the controller here?
Do i need to reprogram?

20230208-162022.jpg

Thanks for any help.

Hey Thanks "A"

Questions now have come up:)

I have the Bafang 750 Watt 48V Motor - RM G060.750.D 06010F1T9160001
It has the 3 - PIN for the Motor - phase, hall and motor

The Link you sent has a range of choices, but I only found the 36V 750W controller and the 48V and that is only available in the 1000W - 3000 W controllers.

Do you suggest the seemingly obvious choice of buying the 1000w controller? Or do I get the larger 1500w to be on the safe side?

What does the "All SM + Lightplug" Mean? :) I googled it but it's not that straight forward..... feeling dummm:)

I think I will have to find the correct end connectors and make the connections or run new wiring. Not sure on that yet.... TBD

Thanks for any help.

Attachments

• 20230223_203623.jpg
    20230223_203623.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 160
  • 20230223_203643.jpg
    20230223_203643.jpg
    168.2 KB · Views: 150
Should be easy to find a replacement, but whether or not it will have the exact connectors is questionable.

Hey Thanks "A"

Questions now have come up:)

I have the Bafang 750 Watt 48V Motor - RM G060.750.D 06010F1T9160001
It has the 3 - PIN for the Motor - phase, hall and motor

The Link you sent has a range of choices, but I only found the 36V 750W controller and the 48V and that is only available in the 1000W - 3000 W controllers.

Do you suggest the seemingly obvious choice of buying the 1000w controller? Or do I get the larger 1500w to be on the safe side?

What does the "All SM + Lightplug" Mean? :) I googled it but it's not that straight forward..... feeling dummm:)

I think I will have to find the correct end connectors and make the connections or run new wiring. Not sure on that yet.... TBD

Thanks for any help.

Attachments

• 20230223_203623.jpg
    20230223_203623.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 130
  • 20230223_203643.jpg
    20230223_203643.jpg
    168.2 KB · Views: 122
I would figure out the correct configuration of wiring before looking for options to for new connectors on all cables.
It's a tedious process.

Do you think I should re-cable the Motor cable, display LED and the PAS? Completely replaceable I believe.
As you don't say what type of display you have, the easiest option is simply to go onto AliExpress and find one of the stores selling KT Controllers and buy a 48V 25 Amp Sine Wave controller. These things are cheap. If your current display isn't a KT display or ripoff of one, buy a KT display of your choice.

"All SM + Lightplug" means all the PAS, throttle, brake connections and two light plugs will be individual SM type connectors (not the waterproof type). From your photo you certainly have some SM type connectors in that mix. So that is the type you want. You ARE most likely going to have to change some connectors, and possibly 'rearrange' some of the pins in the SM connectors. Neither is all that difficult. Crimping new SM connectors without the dedicated crimp tool is near impossible (well at lease to do a quality job).

P.S. Be careful why Amp/Watt light you plug into the light connectors. It's got to be a low draw light otherwise it will fry the little light board (can't remember the maximum amps). The KT controller/display will need to be programmed, but that isn't that hard once you figure what the parameters actually mean. I can help you with that if you go down this route.

i have a big ask could you send me a picture or write out the wiring on the all the three wire connectors ,i have a clinesy with a mess in the wiring can not find or get a schematic, it is a pedal assist, i have lights pedal assist but no throttle or just battery power i am not an electrician and even bike shop no help

As you don't say what type of display you have, the easiest option is simply to go onto AliExpress and find one of the stores selling KT Controllers and buy a 48V 25 Amp Sine Wave controller. These things are cheap. If your current display isn't a KT display or ripoff of one, buy a KT display of your choice.

"All SM + Lightplug" means all the PAS, throttle, brake connections and two light plugs will be individual SM type connectors (not the waterproof type). From your photo you certainly have some SM type connectors in that mix. So that is the type you want. You ARE most likely going to have to change some connectors, and possibly 'rearrange' some of the pins in the SM connectors. Neither is all that difficult. Crimping new SM connectors without the dedicated crimp tool is near impossible (well at lease to do a quality job).

P.S. Be careful why Amp/Watt light you plug into the light connectors. It's got to be a low draw light otherwise it will fry the little light board (can't remember the maximum amps). The KT controller/display will need to be programmed, but that isn't that hard once you figure what the parameters actually mean. I can help you with that if you go down this route.
Hey Great information Freddy1

I was about to purchase this controller:

KT Controller Ebike Motor Kunteng 36V 48V Lcd3 lcd4 LCD5 Display All SM Plug Electric Bicycle Squarewave Controller Conversion
30A SM Light Sine from Aliexpress here:

I have the C961

KT Controller Ebike Motor Kunteng 36V 48V Lcd3 lcd4 LCD5 Display All SM Plug Electric Bicycle Squarewave Controller Conversion

I have the C961
Here are my connections.

The main concern is the aliexpress doesn't show their wiring.

What softward do you use for programming? Is that going to be a necessity?
Can I unlock any overclocking the electrical output?

Attachments

• 20230227_134850.jpg
    20230227_134850.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 104
  • 20230227_134842.jpg
    20230227_134842.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 98
  • 20230227_134803.jpg
    20230227_134803.jpg
    118 KB · Views: 103
  • 20230227_134753.jpg
    20230227_134753.jpg
    113.3 KB · Views: 154

I have the C961

If you haven't already placed the purchase, get a Sinewave type controller. 30A is a bit of overkill for a 750W motor, but not a problem if you have the space to fit these larger size controllers as you can set them at a reduced power reduction by programming.

Here are my connections.

The main concern is the aliexpress doesn't show their wiring.

What softward do you use for programming? Is that going to be a necessity?
Can I unlock any overclocking the electrical output?
Keep looking around on Aliexpress and you will find a seller that indicates what each of the various wires coming from a KT controller do. Then it is just a matter of working out which wires on you bike do that function, and connecting them together. My take is you are going to likely have to make some connection changes, but cross that bridge when you come to it.

Also, from you pictures, to me there seems to be some missing connection cable??? The third picture has the 3 phase wires as individual wires, yet one of your original photos shows a singular type water proof connector. Is there a connecting conversion cable??

Keep looking around on Aliexpress and you will find a seller that indicates what each of the various wires coming from a KT controller do. Then it is just a matter of working out which wires on you bike do that function, and connecting them together. My take is you are going to likely have to make some connection changes, but cross that bridge when you come to it.

Also, from you pictures, to me there seems to be some missing connection cable??? The third picture has the 3 phase wires as individual wires, yet one of your original photos shows a singular type water proof connector. Is there a connecting conversion cable??
If your referring to the waterproof cable for the Motor HUB in the picutre the 3-Pin. That is just to identify the hub motor is using a 3-Pin waterproof and not the cheap 9-pin.

I thought that had a major difference on the type of controller I purchased.

This is so difficult, but educational but fun but sorta pissing me off....

Truly appreciate your help.

What do you think is the best way to learn this specifics on these controllers and sine wave types vs other controllers?
Youtube, google, Trial and error is all I am doing at the moment.

Thanks again.

If your referring to the waterproof cable for the Motor HUB in the picutre the 3-Pin. That is just to identify the hub motor is using a 3-Pin waterproof and not the cheap 9-pin.

What do you think is the best way to learn this specifics on these controllers and sine wave types vs other controllers?

Thanks again.
OHHH Man.... Does "SW" Stand for "Sine Wave" :) ??? Lights are on now ! :)

Thanks again.
Thanks for confirming the cable to the hub motor only has 3 pins. I thought that might be the case from the photo. Well right there is one cable mod your're going to have to make. The new KT controller will come with a 9 pin motor plug. The 3 larger diameter pins will be the high amp phase wires (hence the size) and the small pins will be the hall sensors (cable colors matching each phase wire), an input current (red wire), and earth (black), and white (may or may not do anything, a motor temperature signal the display if a sensor is fitted in the motor).

Just keep researching the internet, there is a wealth of good information. But just like anything on the internet, there is way more crap that hides the good stuff. The irony is you only knows its crap when you already know what your are researching. Best sticking to presentations by professional people, sites, etc. That way you avoid the well meaning but often incorrect amateur advice. Not saying there isn't good advice on user forums, just there is a mix or good and bad and when you don't know which you can be lead astray.

If there are two skills you're probably going to have to learn to sort this out, its being able to both solder and crimp. Both are easy, with good quality correct tools. Can't stress that point enough.

At this point it probably seems a bit overwhelming, but trust me keep at and you'll get there. And in the process you'll learn a lot. Enjoy the journey, don't see it as a problem, but a learning opportunity, says he who was going to throw a similar mess in the bin at one point. Bought a cheap Chinese fat bike off the internet that didn't work out of the box, no seller support. Goes great now but it required major changes. Being a motor mechanic I was comfortable working with low voltage wiring.

Thanks for confirming the cable to the hub motor only has 3 pins. I thought that might be the case from the photo. Well right there is one cable mod your're going to have to make. The new KT controller will come with a 9 pin motor plug. The 3 larger diameter pins will be the high amp phase wires (hence the size) and the small pins will be the hall sensors (cable colors matching each phase wire), an input current (red wire), and earth (black), and white (may or may not do anything, a motor temperature signal the display if a sensor is fitted in the motor).

Just keep researching the internet, there is a wealth of good information. But just like anything on the internet, there is way more crap that hides the good stuff. The irony is you only knows its crap when you already know what your are researching. Best sticking to presentations by professional people, sites, etc. That way you avoid the well meaning but often incorrect amateur advice. Not saying there isn't good advice on user forums, just there is a mix or good and bad and when you don't know which you can be lead astray.

If there are two skills you're probably going to have to learn to sort this out, its being able to both solder and crimp. Both are easy, with good quality correct tools. Can't stress that point enough.

At this point it probably seems a bit overwhelming, but trust me keep at and you'll get there. And in the process you'll learn a lot. Enjoy the journey, don't see it as a problem, but a learning opportunity, says he who was going to throw a similar mess in the bin at one point. Bought a cheap Chinese fat bike off the internet that didn't work out of the box, no seller support. Goes great now but it required major changes. Being a motor mechanic I was comfortable working with low voltage wiring.
Hey Freddy1:

What do you think of this controller?

Just thinking last second before I purchase.

or

Comes with the Display. Maybe better to just swap it out complete?

Honestly, I wouldn't buy either. They may be perfectly fine, but me, I would only by a genuine KT controller and a KT Display. Reason, you know 100% the communication protocol between the display and controller are going to work. And if you every want to replace the display or controller a KT replacement will always be available.
Plus, no shortage of programming documentation, as well as lots of people know how to program a KT controller.

I'd recommend going to JN Ebike Store on AliExpress and get a KT 25A Sine Wave All SM plus light plug Controller .... and then select a KT Display of your choice. I use the LCD8 SM plug with USB (allows me to power my phone as a GPS). Yes, the KT branded products are more expensive, but you know what your getting. But the big benefit is heaps of people can help, plus videos etc. on how to program them

I'm doing something similar.

Looking for the right controller.

I have an older bafang 750w
With a generic looking 22a controller.
52v packs 50a BMS
Im thinking of going to a 35a controller .
Too much?

I've been reading here and there about options and love aliE . Lots of good stuff there.

Now , I don't run a display or need more than 1 level of PAS. I'm a throttle hog.
I actually don't need any pas at all but 1 level would be nice.

I'm wondering about different throttles?
Are there many different variants for wiring ?

I can solder and crimp and test properly.

35a on a 750w Bafang G060 (fat) motor, with a 52v battery, is going to work great. Its a very commonly-used combination. I have done it with a twin-hub awd bike, so that means two 35a controllers and two motors. Acceleration is so fast you need to take those KT controllers and set them to full amp output with slow-start. And acceleration is still fast enough to make you smile.

The difference between the 3-pin and 9-pin controllers on Bafang motors is not cheapness of the 9-pin. The 3-pin is for the 48v hi-power 750w motor that can be taking in a lot of power, while the 9-pin is for the 250, 350 and 500w motors that can be using the lesser 36v or 48v, and lesser controller amps like 17-25. Both are just as water-resistant.

Swapping controllers like this is likely to involve a lot of chasing of one's tail as the real issue is matching the plugs for each item. Matching the motor plug, if anything, is the easy part. You want HIGO/Julet plugs to match one for one, or if you are unlucky you'll need to match up JST plugs.

@TrimmCreateBuilder mentioned he had a C961 display and thats not going to work with a KT controller. KT controllers need a KT display because the controller's settings interface is set by the display. And if its not a KT, it won't have the settings interface. A C961 is a Bafang display with a Bafang controller settings interface.

The controller pictured in Post 1 is a Lishui. Maybe google "LD Controller" and you can get pretty close to your original out of the gate so you don't have to buy all new other stuff to go with it. This one looks similar and there is a controller-only purchase option.

(but a KT controller is going to be a far better product and you might be better off pulling everything out and replacing so you can get one of them to power your motor).

35a on a 750w Bafang G060 (fat) motor, with a 52v battery, is going to work great. Its a very commonly-used combination. I have done it with a twin-hub awd bike, so that means two 35a controllers and two motors. Acceleration is so fast you need to take those KT controllers and set them to full amp output with slow-start. And acceleration is still fast enough to make you smile.

The difference between the 3-pin and 9-pin controllers on Bafang motors is not cheapness of the 9-pin. The 3-pin is for the 48v hi-power 750w motor that can be taking in a lot of power, while the 9-pin is for the 250, 350 and 500w motors that can be using the lesser 36v or 48v, and lesser controller amps like 17-25. Both are just as water-resistant.

Swapping controllers like this is likely to involve a lot of chasing of one's tail as the real issue is matching the plugs for each item. Matching the motor plug, if anything, is the easy part. You want HIGO/Julet plugs to match one for one, or if you are unlucky you'll need to match up JST plugs.

@TrimmCreateBuilder mentioned he had a C961 display and thats not going to work with a KT controller. KT controllers need a KT display because the controller's settings interface is set by the display. And if its not a KT, it won't have the settings interface. A C961 is a Bafang display with a Bafang controller settings interface.

The controller pictured in Post 1 is a Lishui. Maybe google "LD Controller" and you can get pretty close to your original out of the gate so you don't have to buy all new other stuff to go with it. This one looks similar and there is a controller-only purchase option.

(but a KT controller is going to be a far better product and you might be better off pulling everything out and replacing so you can get one of them to power your motor).
Thanks for the help.

I my motor has a julet plug.

I've been mainly examining controller la that already have that connection.

Since I'm not concerned with PAS , brake cutoffs or a display at all , I'm hoping to find a " barebones" controller that just had the power delivery I'm looking for and easy to get it to work.

I'm no expert here , but I do have some skill with figuring things out and making good connections as long as I have proper information.

I might actually want to get a fancy throttle instead of a full on display.
They have some on AliE that show voltage and some that even do the pas setting.

Anyone have experience with these? Are they comparable with a legit KT if I decide to go that way without a display?

Back