Repainting frame before build ?

bluestrings

Local time
5:22 PM
Using a Dolomite donor for a BBSHD conversion build. Bike is fairly new, but I don't want a shiny red bike. I want it all matte black. Since I'm removing parts at this stage, including headset bearings to upgrade those as well, why not repaint now. I figure just removing the clear coat would be sufficient then spray paint (it's a Mongoose after all). Anyone recommend the best paint? I've read about heavy duty toxic stuff like Imron (probably not available in Cali anyway). I don't see why it's necessary to prep to bare metal if clear coat is removed then proper light prep sanding before spraying.

I did a total of one bike build where I did a full repaint and spray myself. One of the issues you need to address is roughening the surface so paint will adhere. I sanded mine with a combination of using a random orbital and some hand work. I used a separate primer followed by a layer of color (Mad Max Interceptor yellow, actually) and then clear coated it.
20170503_170124.jpg

It was worth gaining the experience... but I never did it again. I found a powder coating shop in town that would do the whole job, stripping included, for about 60 bucks. Totally worth the cost! They could do candy flake colors I could never even think about with a rattle can, and powder coat vs. paint for no-chip durability is like using steel versus newspaper.

If I was doing paint, the stuff @HumanPerson linked is good stuff. I have also used Rustoleum engine paint on some parts which is tougher, but that is a gloss black. Not sure if they sell a matte.

Yes, what M@Robertson said, powder coating is so worth it. You can wear through it but you can't scratch it off or chip it.

I have also have restored and painted an old paperboy bike using shaker can rustoleum satin black and it still looks great. The key is don't be in a hurry to assemble and use the bike if you can wait a couple of weeks for the paint cure.

I painted my downhill bike once because the old paint was chipped and scratched from the previous owner.

First, I sanded the clear coat and cleaned the frame with spirits. I then used a spray can to apply two coats of metallic green. I then put a final clear coat over the top.

It turned out great, I was very happy with the result.

It did gather a few chips though from rocks flicking up, but mainly underneath the bike so it wasn't really that noticeable.

I wouldn't have expected powder coat job to be that cheap but can they powder coat with a matte finish?

can they powder coat with a matte finish?
Sure. Interestingly they had a material that looked flat black in the daytime but was silver reflective under headlights at night - as in street sign-level bright. Was pricey stuff but still an option.

The shop I used had done a lot of show bicycles before and yes they were cheaper than you'd think. But still, the quality of the end result is so much better, and its a brainless process, I never did another paint job.

It all depends on what the powder coating shop has in stock the place I have used had gloss black, matt black, and hammer texture black, and then lots of colors mostly gloss but some in matt and hammer. I had an off road bumper done in matt black and I think it was $150. I had lots of unicycles done and they were $20 each.

Back