Regen and battery health / charging through the discharge

CrossRoads

Local time
1:22 AM
Sorry if the question has been answered before. I browsed the threads on regen and saw a lot of discussing the "real" benefits vs cost. I'm well aware that the regenerated energy is arguably a "silly" percentage on an ebike, and that perhaps the only real life benefit is reduced brake pads wear.

In any case, I bought a relatively inexpensive 60V controller from electricscooterparts.com for $100 to control my Oatema DD rear hub, specifically the SPD-48150 0BLDC . As a side / bonus / option / benifit, it offers regen. I tried it out and it works pretty well actually, but I'm not attached to using it. So far happy with the purchase of the inexpensive controller, but wondering if i should use the regen feature.

My concern is battery health and "charging through the discharge". With a cheap off-brand chinese controller, should I be at all concerned with it over-stressing the battery by poviding charge through the discharge? Seems like cranking the regen on a long decent could be producing voltage peaks that the battery doesn't like and is unprepared for. I'm guessing battery health may be the main difference between Grin's $300 Frankenrunner and my $100 made in china controller which both do regen. Just seems like from first principles it could be problematic. I'm definitely not interested halving the lifespan of a $400 battery in order to save replacing $20 brake pads every couple years, but if my concern is irrational I'll use the feature happily.

The discharge port typically has no protection against overcharging, on the BMS. Voltage peaks are not really an issue, but a long descent right after a full charge could be. Newer controllers have some protection against this, less expensive ones may require human monitoring.

Back