Recumbent eBikes (not trikes) are rare as hen's teeth, eh?

Smaug

Local time
6:32 AM
When I search for a recumbent eBike, there are precious few, and the ones available are multi-thousand dollars.

I read an article on sports injuries yesterday that suggests perineal pressure is a serious health concern. This is inevitable on traditional upright bicycles. (though there are ways to control it)

I know they're more complicated and take more materials than a traditional bike, but even so, I feel like we should have some options below $2k. Seems like it's an unfilled niche.

When I search for a recumbent eBike, there are precious few, and the ones available are multi-thousand dollars. Is it an unfilled niche or am I missing something?
Mostly just a poor riding choice for anyone that doesn't actually need one.

Since you replied only seconds after I posted, I know you didn't read the article to which I linked.
A lot of cyclists, especially long-distance ones, seem to have problems related to long-term perineal pressure.
Mostly just a poor riding choice for anyone that doesn't actually need one.

Since you replied only seconds after I posted, I know you didn't read the article to which I linked.
A lot of cyclists, especially long-distance ones, seem to have problems related to long-term perineal pressure.
I've read it before. I dislike recumbents because of the danger to others, they ride too low to be easily seen by others sharing biking and pedestrian infrastructure and I have seen some scary close calls. They are also bad at carrying any gear whatsoever. As far as the article... everyone is different, I'd try different saddles and their positions, maybe even a bobblehead seat post before buying a poor frame design.

I've read it before. I dislike recumbents because of the danger to others, they ride too low to be easily seen by others sharing biking and pedestrian infrastructure and I have seen some scary close calls.
Not all recumbents are low. Trikes are the lowest, since the rider usually sits between two of the wheels. At least 50% of the time recumbent riders sail an orange flag to help with visibility.

They are also bad at carrying any gear whatsoever.
That's true.

As far as the article... everyone is different, I'd try different saddles and their positions, maybe even a bobblehead seat post before buying a poor frame design.
I wouldn't say it is a "poor frame design", it just has different priorities. It spreads the load of the rider across a much wider area, and allows the rider to pedal against his back instead of just gravity, so he can have more power for "free". It sacrifices compactness, lightness, and cargo-carrying capability for these strengths; it's classical design compromise. If you don't care about those advantages, that's fine, but you don't need to put it down just because it's not for you.

...At least 50% of the time recumbent riders sail an orange flag to help with visibility... ...you don't need to put it down just because it's not for you.
Odd that with all the riding I've done in the last decade that I disagree with everything you said, especially the flag! I WISH they all had flags, better yet that flaps are mandated for the safety of the rider and those around them. Actually, most recumbent riders shun using a flag like there is a stigma attached to them. By "spreads the load" do you mean has a truck seat... ok, sure and I said if a recumbent is the only way for someone to enjoy riding they are great. As far as the "more power for "free"" thing (not sure what that means at all), there isn't a problem with having enough "power" with an ebike, the motor negates what you think is a design strength. I'm not putting anything down I just think they are a poor choice as an ebike for those that don't need one.

Wife & I have been riding recumbents since 2003, after returning to cycling from an injury.
I started with a $400 recumbent that was found on local Craigslist.
In 2004, I found two SWB, USS Vison R40 recumbents on separate Craigslist ads, under $500 each.
It took me about 500 miles on a recumbent to develop my recumbent legs, specific group of muscles that allows me to pedal smoothly, be more efficient on climbs.
For any ride that's longer than 2 hours of saddle time, I prefer riding a recumbent over an upright, diamond framed bicycle.
Recumbents are just more comfortable and when you finish the ride there are far less aches & sores.

Diamond framed bicycles outnumber recumbent probably ten million to one worldwide, for that reason the bicycle manufacturers don't like to mass produce them.
Once a production run is over, factories don't usually retool for something that doesn't take off in the market.
Shipping cost for odd sized recumbent boxes are also costly to manufacturers.
More than likely, when major bicycle manufacturers (TREK & Cannondale) try their hands in recumbent, they usually lose money in every single one they sold.
When bike production require intensive labor & tooling; even if you have the means to produce the (recumbent) bikes, but profit is still not there when compared to regular bicycles.
Hence the low availability of recumbents in the market.

Wife & I enjoy our Vision R40 so much, I converted them from USS to OSS, take up less storage room and more intuitive steering.
8yqG9NM.jpg

Em3a4Tb.jpg

Back in 2008, I found two Bike Friday SatRDay recumbents at about 1/2 of their original cost.
They each fold down and pack into their own suitcase.
The suit cases actually convert into trailers that gets pulled behind the recumbents.
We took these recumbents with us while traveling overseas.
bhR45FB.jpg

vHF2Msn.jpg

78sre6R.jpg

cOXuDMn.jpg

Over the years wife & I have gone to recumbent rallies, HPV speed record attempts in Death Valley.
We've sampled many different types of recumbent bikes & trikes.
We even got ourselves a semi-recumbent tandem in 2008.
FMWTXVt.jpg

Wife & I still ride our Vision R40 recumbents about 400-500 miles a year, mostly on longer (60+ mile) rides.
It's a great feeling about a long ride, you get off your recumbent and still be able to function, drink & party; while riders on upright bikes seem more tired.
Bike Friday recumbent don't get ridden as much since COVID, we have not felt the need to travel overseas with our recumbents.

I have not felt the need to convert a recumbent into a ebike, but I think I will just wait a few years for better tech to come out.

If you have questions about recumbents, let me know if I can be at any help.

Interesting video, 40000 km on a solar powered, regen recumbent ebike:

Solar, pedal/row recumbent tandem trike touring:

When I search for a recumbent eBike, there are precious few, and the ones available are multi-thousand dollars.

I read an article on sports injuries yesterday that suggests perineal pressure is a serious health concern. This is inevitable on traditional upright bicycles. (though there are ways to control it)

I know they're more complicated and take more materials than a traditional bike, but even so, I feel like we should have some options below $2k. Seems like it's an unfilled niche.
I found the same lack of choices for a bent ebike. So I added an eassist kit to my 20 year old Lightning P38. Luv it. I used to have to walk up hills due to heart issue. Now, no problem. The ride got harsher with the stiffer rear wheel with the motor in it, but otherwise a great ride.

So I bought a like new 20 year old full suspension Vision R42 for $400 and put a kit on it…an amazing ride. The rear dropouts needed modification to keep the wheel from being pulled out of the dropouts, and I will test it out next season. Otherwise, I will get a 20” wheel with motor for the front and get it going.

I bought a short wheelbase recumbent in 1999. A Lightning P-38 with 700c rear wheel. I put 18,000 miles on the bike in about 10 years. It is a well balanced bike, climbs like a goat, descends fast, comfortable to ride. Did several century rides on it, and my personal record for distance in one day was 150 miles.
It is hard to find a used one for sale, because owners keep them for a lifetime, as I have done. After 2 heart attacks on bike rides, I added an ekit to the bike so I wouldn’t have to walk up hills. The kit is from ebikekits.com, and I mounted it to the bike. The hub drive wheel is very stiff and made the ride a bit harsh.

So I bought a used 1999 Vision full suspension swb for $300 to give me a luxurious ride. I moved the kit over to the Vision, and it is a great ride. So for the $1,200 ekit and the $300 bike, I have a really nice recumbent ebike for $1,500.

What most riders fail to understand is that 80% of your energy biking is used to push yourself through the air. The recumbent position is more aerodynamic and gives you more distance or speed vs. an upright bike. Also, there is no wrist pain or butt pain riding a recumbent. Both of my recumbents have plenty of storage, with a large seat bag and a rear rack for the battery and a trunk bag.

Back