Rear View Camera for eBike?

CMD130

Local time
6:18 AM
Does anyone use a simple rear view camera they can view on their smartphone that's mounted on their handlebars? I personally don't need anything fancy that records or has turn signals, etc. Just high resolution video. Essentially a wireless rear view "mirror." Thanks!

I thought of this also. But my experience with viewing a phone in the daytime leads me to think that I wouldn't be able to see anything on the screen. I tried using my Garmin Varia radar with a smartphone, and it was poor. The phone screen is wiped out on a sunny day, especially since I need to wear sunglasses when I ride.

Then I bought the Garmin Varia radar display unit, that uses bright LEDs, and it is excellent.
And that's what I use to "see" behind me. The radar unit I use is the RVR315, at $150. There is also a more expensive model that has a light built in.
The display unit is just called the display unit, at about $90. It's Garmin, so it ain't cheap, but I am totally happy with it. I also have a bar-end mirror to check as necessary. But the radar system is much better than a mirror, IMHO.

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought of this also. But my experience with viewing a phone in the daytime leads me to think that I wouldn't be able to see anything on the screen. I tried using my Garmin Varia radar with a smartphone, and it was poor. The phone screen is wiped out on a sunny day, especially since I need to wear sunglasses when I ride.

Then I bought the Garmin Varia radar display unit, that uses bright LEDs, and it is excellent.
And that's what I use to "see" behind me. The radar unit I use is the RVR315, at $150. There is also a more expensive model that has a light built in.
The display unit is just called the display unit, at about $90. It's Garmin, so it ain't cheap, but I am totally happy with it. I also have a bar-end mirror to check as necessary. But the radar system is much better than a mirror, IMHO.
That's really cool, I never knew such a device existed. I think I found the RVR315 unit below currently on sale for $118.95. Looks like there is also another unit with an integrated tail light for $192.99.

Last edited:
Links to Amazon may include affiliate code. If you click on an Amazon link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
Glad to be of some help here. It seems that this device is still unknown to many riders.
I used the RVR315 with a smartphone for a couple of months, but as stated above, the screen was hard to see on sunny days, even at maximum brightness. But it worked great!
I bought the Garmin radar display unit, and am totally satisfied. This system is my #1 gadget on the bike, without question.
The display unit can be harder to find, but here's an Amazon link (if it still works.)
The radar unit connects via Bluetooth to a smartphone. Or it can connect to other Garmin devices (including the display unit) using a Garmin specific protocol. Oh, and the display unit is much smaller than you imagine it to be - but it's no problem.
Battery life on the RVR315 is only about 7 hours. The step-up model (RTL515) has longer battery life despite having an integrated light.

Last edited by a moderator:
Links to Amazon may include affiliate code. If you click on an Amazon link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.

Look at FEISIKE Handlebar Bike Mirror. It's $60 on Amazon​

The Feisike Handlebar Bike Mirror Camera is currently not available:

But this one looks pretty much the same:

Back