really stumped on finding a bike like this...

sourdoughben

Local time
1:10 PM
Serial1 cty step thur but need a comfortable upright rider position. I sat on one today and my 71 yr old wrists just can't take the weight of a leaning forward posture. Serial 1 designed the bar cables hidden in the stem and tubing and there seemingly is no verticule adjustment of the handlebars. I really liked everything but the low handlebar height. I just wish I could find another bike made as nicely.

I don’t know much about Serial 1 bikes, but if the cables are long enough, you might be able to go with a riser handlebar. The attachment is just an example. There are many available with different widths and amounts of rise.

Height is not always the reason for too much weight on the bars. Sometimes it is the reach. If the saddle is so far aft it will put too much weight on your hands, (the old rule of thumb is to have the crank at 3 o’clock and hang a plumb bob from the bone that protrudes from the inside of your knee. The plumb bob should align with the centerline of the pedal). Bars that are less wide or more swept will lessen our reach and allow you to sit more upright without having to increase rise.

For the price of a Serial 1, there are lots of choices. You might consider looking at Gazelle, Yamaha, Specialized or Trek, but if you really like the Serial 1, I would go back and see if the seat is positioned correctly and see if a handlebar change is a good option.

Serial1 cty step thur but need a comfortable upright rider position. I sat on one today and my 71 yr old wrists just can't take the weight of a leaning forward posture. Serial 1 designed the bar cables hidden in the stem and tubing and there seemingly is no verticule adjustment of the handlebars. I really liked everything but the low handlebar height. I just wish I could find another bike made as nicely.
This is one of the most comfortable e bikes I've ridden, Electra makes some pretty nice stuff. Cushy ride, nice riding position , no issues with hands ,shoulder or neck.

Attachments

• R2.jpg
    R2.jpg
    149.7 KB · Views: 111
This is one of the most comfortable e bikes I've ridden, Electra makes some pretty nice stuff. Cushy ride, nice riding position , no issues with hands ,shoulder or neck.
Thanks, I will look into the Electra Go! haha Wife and I both have 6 yr old Townies just never thought....

I bought my most recent ebike from Alibaba, on Black Friday, upright riding position, dual batteries 30Ah total, 750w hub motor, hydraulic brakes (which activates the rear brake light), 5 PAS levels, smooth power output/engagement. $1662 delivered to my door two weeks ago.
I just pulled it out of the box yesterday and put about 10 miles on it today in windy condition, below 40 degree F.
S4u4ABf.jpg

rmyhYzw.jpg

Great looking bike! Is the battery locked in place, or just sitting there?

That's an interesting bike.

It looks like it is a mid drive but it's a hub drive. So what's inside the black cover behind the cranks?

Then it looks like the battery is located in the front tube of the frame but there it is behind the down tube. It looks like it is just sitting there in the frame but not locked in.

I bought my most recent ebike from Alibaba, on Black Friday, upright riding position, dual batteries 30Ah total, 750w hub motor, hydraulic brakes (which activates the rear brake light), 5 PAS levels, smooth power output/engagement. $1662 delivered to my door two weeks ago.
I just pulled it out of the box yesterday and put about 10 miles on it today in windy condition, below 40 degree F.
xTjGRfa.jpg

JSxnsRV.jpg
Wow thats a very nice looking ride.

I would say look for another bike that fits you better. To buy a Serial 1 bike at their prices and not have fit you doesn't sound to me like a wise decision. Their E Bikes like the mother companies motorcycles are very overpriced, IMHO.

That's an interesting bike.

It looks like it is a mid drive but it's a hub drive. So what's inside the black cover behind the cranks?

Then it looks like the battery is located in the front tube of the frame but there it is behind the down tube. It looks like it is just sitting there in the frame but not locked in.

Yes, the compartment around the crankset is just housing the controller & wiring for the dual batteries.

Two batteries, one integrated into the downtube of frame the other sits behind the seat tube. Original picture have the battery sitting just off the mounting bracket.

owJWFiG.jpg

sU07XVd.jpg

That's a screaming deal you got for $1662 Really nice, does it have a make? Not that it maters, can you post a link to it? I'd appreciate it! Thanks

That's a really cute cat you have there in your avatar, is he your cat? I love orange tabbys! they are the best!

xTjGRfa.jpg

JSxnsRV.jpg
Nice bike!

I feel you. As suggested by another forum member, swap to a higher rise type h-bar. Also you should be able to swap the handlebar stem out for an adjustable one. It will allow you to reposition the bars up and back. If the bike is too long for you and those mods are not enough, you actually can rotate a short stem 180 degrees. I know some will balk at this, but it does work fine. While it does look wonky that the bars are positioned behind the head tube it is fine.
If I’m looking at the correct bike your bike is pretty high tech e-bike. It has an Automatiq Enviolo CVT hub, mid drive motor, and gates carbon belt drive. While to me it still a little seems over priced for what you get, those type bikes are very nice.
A friend of mine has a similar e-bike and does not have the long reach complaint like you are stating, so you might want to look it up. It’s a Priority Current ebike. It is a very similar setup as yours. It’s a USA based company. They have a great customer service phone line with a real person that helps you choose the correct fitting frame size. Also if you’re a Costco Member it can be had for less than $3000.
My wife has the same issue as you. I think she has carpel tunnel issues but does not want to get surgery. Her Aventon Aventure ebike S/M Frame size has a very short reach comparatively. She is 5’5” tall and all I did was add a higher rise handlebar and she sits almost vertical. It has lessened her wrist pain and numbness immensely. They also make a newly released version 2 which has a torque sensor which will probably make it feel more like your mid drive bike compared to most normal hub motor bikes. These are 750w hub motor bikes so they have close to similar power to many mid drives. Also I would recommend staying with 26” type wheels instead of going down to 20”, they ride and handle better especially at faster speeds.

As nice as it seems by specs, I feel quite sure the Alibaba bike is nowhere near the quality of the Serial 1.

Aventon quality is very nice, and they're starting to integrate more and more into the bike; for example, brake lights into the seatstays. The OP should take a look at the Pace 500.3, IMO. I have their Level.2, which I like, but if I were to do it again, I'd go more upright with the Pace 500.2 or .3:

How about Specialized? If I were shopping a higher-end bike with a more upright posture, I'd look HARD at the Specialized Turbo Como SL. They put a lot of thought into their designs; of note: full-coverage fenders, belt drive, IGH:

S4u4ABf.jpg

rmyhYzw.jpg
Looks like my wife’s Lectric Premium, just not folding and mid-drive but 750w hub is very nice.

If the bike is too long for you and those mods are not enough, you actually can rotate a short stem 180 degrees. I know some will balk at this, but it does work fine. While it does look wonky that the bars are positioned behind the head tube it is fine.
I've done this and it works very well, though my knee occasionally hits the throttle lever.
And I don't think it looks wonky at all.

Back