Read this before ordering a Himiway E-Bike

Hoggdoc

Staff member
Local time
9:27 AM
I've been looking and reading about E bikes for over five years. Recently my interest has increased once again and I've been reading reviews on YouTube of the Hemingway fat bikes. All those reviews were very positive so I finally ordered one on March 3, 2021.

Within a few hours I received an email confirming the order and gave an approximate delivery date of March 7, 2021. On the fifth I emailed the company trying to confirm the shipment date when a check of the FedEx tracking number said that the label has been printed but the item has not been picked up yet. I received a response to that saying that there was a delay and that it would be shipped soon. Another email from me to the company was responding to with an excuse that FedEx was really backed up and could not pick up the bikes for him to look for an update within 5 to 10 working days.

I called the supplied customer support number at 816 Area code which is located in Kansas City when the company is supposed to be in Brea California. I spoke to somebody by the name of Jack and he was supposed to be customer service but was extremely unprofessional and tried to tell me that they have to have a whole truck full of bikes to ship before FedEx will come and pick them up. The more I question him on the validity of that statement the more irritated he got and he finally terminated the call.

After this conversation I did a Google search on problems with him and we bike shipments it came upon a better business bureau history of problems with this company which can be found at this site: https://www.bbb.org/us/ca/chino/profile/online-retailer/himiway-1066-850059481/complaints

It seems all the reviews of the products may not have spoken to the problems with dealing with this company if you have a problem with your bike seems to be many of them from the product not working to At least one of the complaints was that the bike caught on fire.

I purchased the bike through PayPal that debited my credit card hopefully giving me at least two avenues in which to cancel and receive my money back. I have opened a dispute through PayPal but PayPal is saying it's going to be the end of March before they can do anything they have to allow the company adequate time to respond. So right now I'm out $1449 and I am questioning whether I will ever get the product get a refund or get any help from PayPal

Up Date: See my comment on March 28th. 2021.

I've been looking and reading about E bikes for over five years. Recently my interest has increased once again and I've been reading reviews on YouTube of the Hemingway fat bikes. All those reviews were very positive so I finally ordered one on March 3, 2021.

Within a few hours I received an email confirming the order and gave an approximate delivery date of March 7, 2021. On the fifth I emailed the company trying to confirm the shipment date when a check of the FedEx tracking number said that the label has been printed but the item has not been picked up yet. I received a response to that saying that there was a delay and that it would be shipped soon. Another email from me to the company was responding to with an excuse that FedEx was really backed up and could not pick up the bikes for him to look for an update within 5 to 10 working days.

I called the supplied customer support number at 816 Area code which is located in Kansas City when the company is supposed to be in Brea California. I spoke to somebody by the name of Jack and he was supposed to be customer service but was extremely unprofessional and tried to tell me that they have to have a whole truck full of bikes to ship before FedEx will come and pick them up. The more I question him on the validity of that statement the more irritated he got and he finally terminated the call.

After this conversation I did a Google search on problems with him and we bike shipments it came upon a better business bureau history of problems with this company which can be found at this site: https://www.bbb.org/us/ca/chino/profile/online-retailer/himiway-1066-850059481/complaints

It seems all the reviews of the products may not have spoken to the problems with dealing with this company if you have a problem with your bike seems to be many of them from the product not working to At least one of the complaints was that the bike caught on fire.

I purchased the bike through PayPal that debited my credit card hopefully giving me at least two avenues in which to cancel and receive my money back. I have opened a dispute through PayPalBut PayPal is saying it's going to be the end of March before they can do anything they have to allow the company adequate time to respond. So right now I'm out $1449 and I am questioning whether I will ever get the product get a refund or get any help from PayPal

At this point I can't not recommend anybody do business with this company.
Thank you for posting, I am a couple days away from pulling the trigger on two new e-bikes, Himiway was on my short list...

Perhaps this is a good reason to deal with a local bike store (LBS) when possible. Sure it may be a little more expensive but you can walk in, see the bikes, try one out, and leave immediately with one if you choose to. And the LBS will be there for service and any issues that might arise.

I agree with buying local, but they are not just a bit more expensive they are way more expensive and not equipped with the power batteries these online sellers offer.

Then unless you have done business with local shop you really don't know how reliable they are either, do you. It just so hard to find honest people these days it seems.

I bought mine 3-6-2021. We'll see how it goes. Everything local here are the high-end bikes costing 2-4 times what I paid for this. I wanted to get my feet wet with a reasonably priced eBike, I'm hoping my experience is similar to the majority of folks that buy this particular bike. I had to use PayPal for the transaction because my card issuer rejected the UK transaction (understandable considering all the fraud), but the PayPal transaction went thru fine. Keeping my fingers crossed for the both of us.
Cheers!

EDIT: I rec'd the bike 10 days after ordering (I don't expect this is the norm with the shortages, but how awesome for me :)). Have put over 25 miles on it so far (it's wet here in the PNW). So far, I am very happy with the bike. I assembled it myself and intend to use a local mechanic to check everything out when I hit 50-100 miles.

Last edited:
I agree with buying local, but they are not just a bit more expensive they are way more expensive and not equipped with the power batteries these online sellers offer.

Then unless you have done business with local shop you really don't know how reliable they are either, do you. It just so hard to find honest people these days it seems.
I'll bow out of this conversation by saying I have done business with a local shop and they have been reliable with an issue I had and they have impressed me as honest people.

I purchased the bike through PayPal that debited my credit card hopefully giving me at least two avenues in which to cancel and receive my money back. I have opened a dispute through PayPalBut PayPal is saying it's going to be the end of March before they can do anything they have to allow the company adequate time to respond. So right now I'm out $1449 and I am questioning whether I will ever get the product get a refund or get any help from PayPal

At this point I can't not recommend anybody do business with this company.
I would not expect any help from Pay Pal. All they did for me was drag it along for 3 weeks, when I bypassed to supervisor level they said the company had delivered it on xx xx xx date. I have video surveillance showing nothing was delivered on that date and time. They take the side of the seller not the buyer, I called my CC company and they credited me back the cash the next day.

I would not expect any help from Pay Pal. All they did for me was drag it along for 3 weeks, when I bypassed to supervisor level they said the company had delivered it on xx xx xx date. I have video surveillance showing nothing was delivered on that date and time. They take the side of the seller not the buyer, I called my CC company and they credited me back the cash the next day.
Fortunately I never had to follow Paypal all the way. My bike suddenly showed up on March 11, 2021. To be honest I think the word got out about my PayPal dispute and many other on-line comments I made about the companies very poor customer service that may have helped getting my bike.

At this time the bike seems to be better than expected and I have been getting follow up emails from what I believe are people in the China plant. I may have caused the real owners of Himiway to take a close looks at the people they have running the US operation. Hopefully the company will do a better job of selecting people to represent their company.

In summary if you buy one of their bikes monitor closely the progress of the order and shipping be very vocal. Also I find the bike to be a an excellent value compared to other similar bikes on the market. The build quality is very good and as I said it performs better than expected.

BTW FedEx Himiway's shipper records all delivers on their system electronically as the shipment is dropped.

737DFA5A-219E-4E2E-A3BC-F8A1A8A7EEED.jpeg

Been enjoying the heck out of my Himiway Cruiser. I noted this posting but ordered the bike, drove up to their warehouse in San Diego and now have logged over 280 miles on it. I did have an issue with the left pedal striping out of the crank arm but the company reimbursed me the $21 for going to a local bike shop and buying a replacement (170mm Suntour) crank arm then followed up by sending me a new pedal and crank arm a few weeks later. Been having a lot of fun on this bike and happy to recommend it to others.

I have over 1,700 miles on my Himiway cruiser and I'm very pleased with my purchase. Every problem that I've had I've contacted Himiway customer service and they were right to it and send me a brand new crank because mine was popping they sent me a brand new right brake handle because my sensor had went out I got both of these within a week of the issue .

Honest People? How about street justice?

I purchased the bike through PayPal that debited my credit card hopefully giving me at least two avenues in which to cancel and receive my money back. I have opened a dispute through PayPal but PayPal is saying it's going to be the end of March before they can do anything they have to allow the company adequate time to respond. So right now I'm out $1449 and I am questioning whether I will ever get the product get a refund or get any help from PayPal

Up Date: See my comment on March 28th. 2021.
I ordered a Himiway Cruiser on 9/6/21 We must have spoken to the same person. Very rude, short, and hung up on me. Before he hung up on me he did confirm that the total charge would be $1649.00. He told me that there was no foreign transaction fee. I knew to ask because I read about that in many complaints. Right away you F-----g lied to me. It's only been a day and I've already got there standard "sorry" from the company for being soo rude. Now this. I hope they don't keep this s--t up and make good on our deal. In the old days there was good old street justice for this kind of bull---t. This should be a simple transaction.

I ordered a Himiway Cruiser on 9/6/21 We must have spoken to the same person. Very rude, short, and hung up on me. Before he hung up on me he did confirm that the total charge would be $1649.00. He told me that there was no foreign transaction fee. I knew to ask because I read about that in many complaints. Right away you F-----g lied to me. It's only been a day and I've already got there standard "sorry" from the company for being soo rude. Now this. I hope they don't keep this s--t up and make good on our deal. In the old days there was good old street justice for this kind of bull---t. This should be a simple transaction.
I'm not surprised it seems the US employees have no one monitoring their interactions with customers. I think some people in the US have arranged to distribute these bikes and and the people in China have no control over their dealings with customers.

The end result of this poor customer service along with long delays in delivering bikes may kill the company. It's a same because the product (at least the one I got) is a real value. BTW I just noticed they have raised their price again, that's $200.00 increase since early March 2021.

Regarding the foreign transactions fees these come from your financial institution not Himiway. You can check with you bank to see if there is a fee. I used PayPal/Credit Card to pay for mine and had no such charge. On March 3, 2021 I paid a flat $1449.00. Sure am glad I didn;t wait longer.

Hope all goes well with your bike.

My experience with the Himiway company has been horrible from the start. Initially it took us 3 tries to get our credit card to go through including our credit card company themselves trying to initiate the purchase while we were on the phone with them. So the problem was with the bike company or its website and not our card company. We eventually paid cash through our bank card on Sept 1, 2021 and then received the bikes on Sept 7, 2021.

The bikes went together pretty smoothly. On my very first ride on mine I received an "Error 24" message and after researching it the sensor from my throttle to my motor did not work. I called customer service and it was horrible. I was told they could not help me and that I would have to email the repair place and that would be the only way I could get it fixed. Long story short I have yet to hear back from them. I have emailed each day since the problem started and emailed "Mike" whom I assume is the president of the company and STILL NO REPLY! So now I am forced to take it to a bike shop and pay for the repair even though I supposedly have a 2 year warranty on this bike.

This is a horrible company. I don't care if it has the best value for the buck if you cannot take care of your customer then you are a crappy company. I will never recommend this bike or this company. The way I see it is I wasted $3,200. Oh and also we ordered the bags for the back of the bike at an additional $76.00 a piece and have yet to see them! So basically they have stolen another $152.00 dollars from us,

My experience with the Himiway company has been horrible from the start. Initially it took us 3 tries to get our credit card to go through including our credit card company themselves trying to initiate the purchase while we were on the phone with them. So the problem was with the bike company or its website and not our card company. We eventually paid cash through our bank card on Sept 1, 2021 and then received the bikes on Sept 7, 2021.

The bikes went together pretty smoothly. On my very first ride on mine I received an "Error 24" message and after researching it the sensor from my throttle to my motor did not work. I called customer service and it was horrible. I was told they could not help me and that I would have to email the repair place and that would be the only way I could get it fixed. Long story short I have yet to hear back from them. I have emailed each day since the problem started and emailed "Mike" whom I assume is the president of the company and STILL NO REPLY! So now I am forced to take it to a bike shop and pay for the repair even though I supposedly have a 2 year warranty on this bike.

This is a horrible company. I don't care if it has the best value for the buck if you cannot take care of your customer then you are a crappy company. I will never recommend this bike or this company. The way I see it is I wasted $3,200. Oh and also we ordered the bags for the back of the bike at an additional $76.00 a piece and have yet to see them! So basically they have stolen another $152.00 dollars from us,
I would guess that you are or were in the health care field. Can you imagine if your patient care was like that! This will be my second ebike. My first was dealing with Walmarts 3rd party vender. It was the absolute worst. The good thing is I learned how to fix them and got an inexpensive ebike tester. I didn't sign up for working on e-bikes but it really helps to trouble shoot and fix on your own. Mine should /could be here in New Jersey on Friday. Hope it works out for you. Maybe keep us updated so we know how to play the game!

I purchased a Himiway Zebra in Dec of 2021, with a Promised delivery date of the 2nd week of February 2022. That date came and went with no response from "Himiway. I finally contacted them the last week of Feb. and asked what happened to my promised delivery and was told that it had been re-scheduled. I mentioned that it might have been a good idea to inform those waiting delivery of this issue, instead of ignoring us and recieved an email the following week informing me that the bike was expected to be delivered the last week of March. A follow-up visit to their website showed new zebra orders would recieve "FREE" fenders,rear rack, tool kit, and a hat, AND BE DELIVERED THE LAST WEEK IN MARCH. When I asked if I would be included in this promotion as I had not yet received my bike as promised, I was told that I would be sent a hat at a later date after I recieved my bike. I decided to terminate my agreement with Himiway after reveiwing multiple complaints concerning POOR/Non existent customer service for bikes purchased but not operating correctly, or damaged in shipment. I am now in the process of disputing the credit card charge, as Himiway has told me it will take some weeks to process my refund. Oh and my new Biktrix Juggarnaut middrive should be here next Monday in time for my wifes Birthday.

My brother bought a cruiser last year and I bought a Zebra recently. Nothing but good to say about the bikes and the people we delt with. Both bikes were flawless when delivered. I know when I have a problem with a vendor I let it be known. I wonder whose experience is the norm. For now I am going to assume I am in the majority and hope that everyone else reaches an equitable outcome.

Back