Rank Newbie to convert a 2005 Trek 7200 FX Hybrid

ace5000

Local time
4:43 AM
Hello,
Any help would be appreciated! This is for running around the city streets maybe 20 miles round trip, mostly flat some inclines.

I'm looking for a reliable kit - speed is good!
Rear hub kit is best, yes?
I did see one on Amazon - Ebikeling??? Any good?

The trek has 700x35C tires
750 Rims
11-32, 8 speed x 3
1/2x3/32 chain

Thank you!!!

Last edited:
I have the same exact bike, spent a couple of days looking at all the various kits and what it would take to do a good conversion to the bike came to the conclusion that it was better to buy a ready-made E bike.

There are so many things you would need to change on the Trek to make it safe such as converting the brakes to disc brakes which would require a new front fork, new front wheel with appropriate hub and as well as buying the rotors & calipers.

The set up I specked out was about $1000 not counting any special labor necessary and not converting the brakes. I chose to buy a HIMAWAY all-terrain cruiser. It is much heavier than the converted bike would be but it has the advantage of the huge 4 inch wide balloon tires.

You asked about the Amazon kits, you have to be very careful there and do a lot of investigation so you know what you're buying & what you should buy. The cheap kits and cheap batteries will not work out well I feel quite sure.

I don't know if that helps you at all. But that's the information I can pass on to you from my own experience.

Would you go with a rear hub bike? My budget is under$1k...
I have two bikes that i converted with violamart rear hub kits and cheapo Ebay blue lithium batteries. I get 20 mile range with no pedaling if i wish. One kit has been on 2 bikes and just always works. One cheap batteries did burn out a bms once but it was only a $12 fix. If you can use a soldering iron and a multimeter i wouldn't be afraid to go cheap diy, you'll have a lighter and faster machine for it for way less $. You can get a 48v1500 watt brushless direct drive hub with heavy spokes and a double wall rim with a controller for just over $200. You may have to tighten a few spokes and file some sharp edges on the axle where the wire exits, maybe they'll be fine though. With a little love it will run. It will be another $200-$300 dollars for a 20 amp hour battery or larger battery that has enough discharge capability to supply your controller with the power it wants. This setup can hit 34mph but i typically cruise around 15 to 20 mph.

That would be great but I have 700cc wheels and searched to no avail. There are Ebikeling kits I looked at. Also I have std. friction brakes. Would it be dangerous without disc brakes?
I also have a 750w restriction in Ohio...

Keep your brakes adjusted and watch for pad wear and you'll be totally fine. Especially at 750 watts.

Thank you all for your input!
I'm ready to pull the trigger on a Bafang 48v 750, 860C display mid-drive for 700cc wheels on Ebay or Amazon. There is a choice of pedal gear sizes of 52 48 46T. It is mostly flat around here but are some extended grades. I weigh 210lbs. Your thoughts on the gear size?

Last edited:
Thank you all for your input!
I'm ready to pull the trigger on a Bafang 48v 750, 860C display mid-drive for 700cc wheels on Ebay or Amazon. There is a choice of pedal gear sizes of 52 48 46T. It is mostly flat around here but are some extended grades. I weigh 210lbs. Your thoughts on the gear size?
No clue, i almost never pedal lol.

For 700C tires, Bafang says 44T chain ring. That is what I put on my 750W 48V BBS02B mid drive on Trek FX 7.2 Hybrid. I weigh 196#. My wife has the 500W w/48T chain ring and is 70# lighter. She just pretty much leaves on the 4th cog, set a max speed of 15 mph and just cruises with a big smile on her face. We are both using the stock Trek linear pull brakes. They work fine.

Thanks, any special sizing or installation issues?
Not really fit very well. The spindle was a bit tough getting out and had to beat and cut it a bit. I put on a new chain, good brake pads and wider tires. This thing is a rocket. My advise is keep your mouth closed when up to 30 mph... haha. Let me know if you need anything.

Hello,
Any help would be appreciated! This is for running around the city streets maybe 20 miles round trip, mostly flat some inclines.

I'm looking for a reliable kit - speed is good!
Rear hub kit is best, yes?
I did see one on Amazon - Ebikeling??? Any good?

The trek has 700x35C tires
750 Rims
11-32, 8 speed x 3
1/2x3/32 chain

Thank you!!!
If you want to keep the gearing, a rear wheel kit is the way to go, cheaper too & simpler to fit. You can buy rear hubs with rotor fittings, so you can use your existing brake system, a little fiddling is necessary as these kits are universal & where they fit one bike without any problems another can be a right pain in the rear. I use a mid-drive Bafang 750w with a 48v 15.5ah YOSE triangular battery, what with a bit of cycling & sensible use of the assist settings I can twenty miles with ease, I'll be fitting a larger battery later probably on the rear rack or pannier fitted one each side, good luck with your build Rob (UK)

Back