Ramp or Trough for loading Lectric XP Step-Thru 3.0 into pickup truck bed

Homeless by Choice

Local time
3:19 AM
I want to carry my eBike in the bed of my pickup but I can't lift it that high. My bike has fat tires and weights 70 pounds. What ideas do you have or know of that will help me?

Thanks,
LeRoy

EDIT: Dec 9, 2022
Mine is an Lectric XP Step-Thru 3.0 Black Folding bike. It folds like this:
1670600319055.png
. LeRoy

HBC,

As a motorcycle owner, I have loaded big bikes into pickup trucks now and then. By far, the best plan is to locate a loading dock, with a ramp to the cargo level. Even if it is an active business, a polite approach and maybe some bribery (doughnuts, cookies, et c.) can go a long way.

Plan B is to find an earthwork berm at a roadside, ideally with a drainage ditch running across the bottom line. Back the pickup straight to the berm, until both of the rear wheels settle into the ditch. The ditch is the key, here. Lower the tailgate, and you should be able to lift the bike enough to get it into the truck bed. If the berm is tall enough, you may have the lowered tailgate resting right down on the dirt, and then be able to ride the bike (slowly) straight down the berm and into the truck bed, with no lifting needed. Trust me, narrow ramps and high truck-beds are a recipe for disaster. HTH.

We used to use a plank of wood and would ride our dirt bikes up the ramp without stopping. Maybe you could walk the ebike up a wooden plank if it's large enough. Just don't do the following...

HBC,

Riding a bike up a ramp into a truck bed has several fail points.
Too slow, and the bike stops on the ramp. You may not be able to keep the bike upright or on the ramp, as you roll down backward to the ground.
The bike may high-center at the top of the ramp, you're stuck, and the bike takes you to the ground as it falls.
Too fast, and you crash into the front of the truck, because there is not enough room to stop.
YouTube has lots of ramp-crash bike videos, if you have a mean streak that enjoys watching disasters.

HBC,

Riding a bike up a ramp into a truck bed has several fail points.
Too slow, and the bike stops on the ramp. You may not be able to keep the bike upright or on the ramp, as you roll down backward to the ground.
The bike may high-center at the top of the ramp, you're stuck, and the bike takes you to the ground as it falls.
Too fast, and you crash into the front of the truck, because there is not enough room to stop.
YouTube has lots of ramp-crash bike videos, if you have a mean streak that enjoys watching disasters.

HBC,

I added a picture and information about my bike to the original post to clarify things. Notice in the folded position, the front and rear wheels are on the same axis. It is very stable at that point and pretty hard to tip sideways.

Directly behind the pedal sprocket is a welded storage support. After thinking about your comments over night, I believe that I can make a small dolly and quick fasten it to the storage support. Hopefully, I can anchor a lightweight 12v winch to the front of my truck bed and along with a soft strap around the storage support, winch the bike up the ramp into the bed. I'm thinking about winching it up part way while standing next to it on the ground and then crawling into the bed to guide it while winching it the rest of the way.

Both hand brakes function in the folded position so maybe I can unload it by simply using the hand brakes going down the ramp. If not, I will just winch it down.

Thank you for your comments. They were helpful and motivating. Now I just have to find a lightweight ramp about 8 inches wide.

LeRoy

Another trick is to try to find a berm or a hill or something to back the truck up to. At best, it may allow you to roll the bike onto the truck nearly level or even downhill. At worst, it will cut down the angle of the ramp making things easier. Example:

52553305365_cac6a6e171.jpg

In my experience, even in flat terrain there’s bound to be a hill or a berm somewhere.

HBC,

Seventy pounds is not that much. Find two beefy friends. :cool: Pizza or beer should make it happen.

My bike rack has a built in ramp for just this occasion (I’m always protective of my back ;) ). I don’t think it would accommodate fat tires, though.

Just thinking outside the box…..what if you got a piece of wide diameter PVC piping and ripped it in half longitudinally with a table saw. You can probably jig that. Use it as a ramp. That might cup the wheels better so the bike does not roll off.

Well...been thinking aboot this ere..

A tote with some type of metal strapping around it. The bike folds so place into tote.
A board, me thinks 2x12" to slide the tote upon.
The winch, (me luvs wenches! Arghghghghh...) So the tote now has some type of metal strapping so hook the wench up and slider easily into the trucks bed...hopefully.

Would need to be watching the bottom of the board near the ground so it dun't pop up and hit ya....

Keep us posted as to what you come up with :)

LeRoy......if you are planning to lift your ebike frequently and are reluctant to use a ramp.....take a look at a hitch mounted lift......most of these lifts can lift 1000 lbs easily.......you can get one for under $400 at Walmart or similar stores. They are make permantly mounted bed lifts.....they will cost more but work well. Good luck.

I bought a folding motorcycle ramp for $100 with shipping on Amazon. Wide enough even for fat 4" wide bike tires.

I bought a folding motorcycle ramp for $100 with shipping on Amazon. Wide enough even for fat 4" wide bike tires.

Thank you for the "motorcycle ramp" clue.

Because of your clue, I have Googled "motorcycle ramp"and found a lot of choices. Most are way too heavy duty for a 70 pound eBike but Harbor Freight has one for $80: HAUL-MASTER 800 lb capacity, 11 in. x 80-1/4 in. Center-Fold Steel Single Ramp that weights 31 pounds. Looks like it will work just fine for me. Next time I get near a Harbor Freight, I will definitely take a serious look.

Thank you,
LeRoy

I have purchased a harbor freight ramps in the past. They work great, but I purposely assembled them backwards so that you are going up on the backside a little bit more traction and you have a little channel on each side. I used them for a snow thrower and a bike. I would always push the bike up the ramp and walk next to it.

You can also just use a 2x10 or 2x8. They make some cheap ramp hardware....you can buy at Amazon.....or you can make your own hardware Easy to make ramps.

Light weight ramp: look at folding dog ramps. I use one to get up my front porch steps. Mine has sand paper for grip and slick sides about 2x2 inches. If you stand a tote on end in front of the ramp, you can role a folded bike into the tote, then lay it back onto the ramp sides and slide (push) up the ramp. Fold ramp in half and place in truck. I use this method for my suv.

I Use This Aluminum Ramp From Amazon For Less Than $100 ;)
View attachment 11526
Harbor Freight has them too. I use one like this from Amazon. Smaller is easier to chuck in the car. Mine is made by the same seller (Pit Posse) but is not folding. Folding would have been nice but they were not available at the time. Also this thing is 7 feet long and I believe mine is 6.

Links to Amazon may include affiliate code. If you click on an Amazon link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
Back