Raleigh Retroglide Royale 2.0 IE (Step Over) SERIAL NUMBER QUESTION

Amadson8

Local time
5:00 AM
(you can skip to the next paragraph if you want) Hello ebikesforum.com users. I've made sure to check for existing threads covering this topic, but to no avail. I am left with creating this thread as a first. If I'm wrong, then please excuse me, my knowledge of forum etiquette could easily be summized to "Thou shalt NOT create a duplicate thread." And if there is a thread covering this topic, then I apologize and feel appropriately embarrassed. I'll see myself out! I'm sure there are a few regulars around here, some of whom might know the answer to my burning little question.. those are the ones who I don't want to piss off. So, I will try my best not to. I will venture through your space politely and inconspicuously as I can.. hopefully I can learn what I need to and get out the way and let you get back to doing what you were doing... am I making sense? Yes! I'm good.. Ahem.. Here we go! I said ALL that, to say this:

I had a 2019 Raleigh Retroglide Royale 2.0 IE (Step Over) E-Bike (assisted power) with the Bosch Active line Mid-Drive motor. It was such a beautiful bike! Anyway, I don't have it anymore.. because it was unfortunately stolen. I live in Santa Cruz. Santa Cruz is the Amsterdam of California. Bike theft capital! If you ever find yourself traveling there with valuables, do yourself a favor and lock em up tight! Now that we have what specific bike is under discussion, here's what I need to know:

I'm trying to file a police report in an attempt to recover my bike. However, the officer who is filing the report is under the impression that the serial number on the under carriage of the bike is way too long. What I need to know is, which of the 2 alphanumeric combinations is the actual serial number? Is it the one on top, let's call this serial number 1 or the one immediately underneath it? Let's naturally call this serial number 2. I have provided photos of the conundrum. And if you DO know which number can be considered the "serial number of my bike," can you maybe just squeak out a brief explanation of why it is that you feel one way or the other. Not bc I need proof of your expertise, but more like bc I get one shot at providing the officer with accurate information and after that, I'm sure that I will not be able to get a "do-over" on the report. Make sense?

At first, I gave both numbers together assuming it was one long serial number. They responded with the current question.
I thought how does the officer know it isn't the entire number? Both lines all together.. but this person does theft reports probably all day long. Most of them are probably bike thefts. They must know what they're talking about.. They might not have enough room for the entire number on the report? I don't know. All I know is they're asking for me to figure out if it's the top number or the bottom number.. Anyway, that's all I need. Anybody who can help me figure out this mystery, I am more than indebted to.. and I can't thank you enough.. Any help that aids my bicycle being recovered.. is just amazing! Thank you all very much by the way, even if you're still reading this through my lengthy tid bits that I don't know how to not do. You truly are a patient person. I sometimes get like this.. my bad you guys.. thank you again for any help.

P.s.
I would contact the shop that the bike was purchased from, however, with COVID-19 business closures.. bike shops are not exempt.

Attachments

• PXL_20211219_142132023.jpg
    PXL_20211219_142132023.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 155
  • PXL_20211219_142127313.jpg
    PXL_20211219_142127313.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 155
  • PXL_20211219_142122485.jpg
    PXL_20211219_142122485.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 155
Contact another Raleigh dealer.

The top number looks like a date format, has non-alpha characters, and ends in a letter.
The bottom number looks more like a serial, but a very low number, perhaps with a model number in front.

I would tell the officer that the two together comprise the unique and identifying marker of your property, and are about the size of a car's Vin number.

Raleigh has used some weird number conventions over the years, either one of those could match a previously used format.

Contact another Raleigh dealer.

The top number looks like a date format, has non-alpha characters, and ends in a letter.
The bottom number looks more like a serial, but a very low number, perhaps with a model number in front.

I would tell the officer that the two together comprise the unique and identifying marker of your property, and are about the size of a car's Vin number.

Raleigh has used some weird number conventions over the years, either one of those could match a previously used format.
I think you're right, Nelson37. I should just try calling another Raleigh dealer. I got turned off from my first attempt at contacting a dealer. They wanted to know when I bought my bike from them and yadda yadda.. before I knew it, I'm on hold for like 25 minutes. I guess they didn't want to help bc they weren't obligated to do so. Checks out, right? Anyway, there are plenty of Raleigh dealers out there.. they're bound to have at least ONE human working for them. Lol.

Yes, the lower number does looks a bit more serial-ish, huh? (Is that a word?) It's like it's too long with both of them together and too short with just one of them.

Well, I really appreciate the response and consideration, Nelson37. I will find out and once i do i will make sure to stop back by here and close this thread with my findings. That's the one good thing about all this, if this situation arises again in someone else's life, hopefully I will have left them with an answer that was easy to find! Thanks

Back