Raleigh Array e-bike repair or upgrade - fault code 34

mundungus

Local time
11:21 AM
Hi All,

I have a Raleigh Array e-bike that I brought to commute to work. I bought it the week before the Covid lockdown started, and only returned to the office a couple of weeks ago. So although I've owned it for over two years (so out of warranty), I've only used it about a dozen times total.

I charged it on Tuesday after returning home from work. After charging, it now displays a fault code 34 (Batter voltage error), and refuses to work normally. I've measured the voltage, its showing 41.3v across the main pins on the battery. There are 3 other wired pins in the battery connector, each at different voltages (25.8, 3 and 0). I have no idea what these pins are for, but google suggests that 41.3v is normal for a fully charged 36v battery.

The owners manual suggests I might need a new battery, but I'm suspecting it might be a problem with the controller, rather than the battery.
From my research, the electrical parts are Suntour. I don't really want to take a gamble on either a new battery or controller if I can help it. Both are expensive.

I'm wondering whether it might be do-able and a lot cheaper to replace the controller with an aftermarket one.

I'm hoping to get some advice from you guys, either on repair or upgrade options.

What would I need to know in order to find a suitable controller, that's compatible with the motor?

Many thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

Suntour makes bicycle parts, but SFAIK no electrical ebike parts.

42.00V is fully charged for a 10S battery, commonly called "36 Volt". 41.3V is certainly functional, but worrisomely low for a recently charged battery.

What does the manual say about error code 34? Post the entire text.

When you say it refuses to work normally, describe EXACTLY how it functions abnormally.

No reason to believe there is a controller problem based on information so far disclosed.

To match new controller, match volts, amps, connector types, and hope there are no proprietary protocols, connections, or circuitry which prevents using generic replacements, such as are often found on brand-name ebikes.

Check battery specs in display and make sure it is still set for a 10S, 42V battery. If it has changed to a higher voltage battery, that would explain the described symptoms.

Back