Rad Runner 2 - Solar panel on trailer for charging?

Local time
6:01 AM
Hi,
New to ebiking. I've had my bike for one week now. I have a rad runner 2. I want to add a solar panel to a trailer I'm going to build for the bike, to keep the battery charged while on long trips (750 watt motor, 48 volt battery) What kind of controller do I need and how do you hook it up so as not to damage the battery. I want to use it for back country archery elk hunting. How do I convert solar power to the 48 volt battery without damage???
I see others online doing it, but they don't explain the process
Any help is appreciated.

Hi,
For a controller look at a MPPT-7210A. You can progam both voltage and current output. Look at the data plate on your charger and that should have the voltage and current values you need. For my 48 volt battery I need 56.4 vdc at 2 amps. Unless you use flexible solar panels weight may be an issue. Lets say you have a 14 ah battery that is fully discharged, at 2 amps that's 7 hours to charge. Connecting the controller output to the battery can be done a couple of ways but the easiest is to find the same connector that used on your charger . Hope that helps.

Hi,
New to ebiking. I've had my bike for one week now. I have a rad runner 2. I want to add a solar panel to a trailer I'm going to build for the bike, to keep the battery charged while on long trips (750 watt motor, 48 volt battery) What kind of controller do I need and how do you hook it up so as not to damage the battery. I want to use it for back country archery elk hunting. How do I convert solar power to the 48 volt battery without damage???
I see others online doing it, but they don't explain the process
Any help is appreciated.
This might get more complicated than what you're looking for, but a few suggestions. If you're building a trailer and have some room, maybe look at charging a jackery (or similar) instead of the battery directly. That way you know you have power going into the trip, and don't need to worry about a separate controller. Depending on how much you want to spend, maybe look at getting a second battery, too. I don't know if the rad wagon supports charging while riding, so you could charge one, while the other is in use.

Every idea that you guys suggest will help with the final design.

My idea is to have a bike trailer where I mount a solar panel on top and hook the solar panel to the battery to keep it continually charged. I don't want to void my warranty and also don't want to my battery to blow-up from over charging

I'm designing the trailer and will build it when I get all the parts. I've looked on-line for trailers and nothing I found will haul the weight I need, ( a boned-out elk weighs between 200 and 275) so that's why I'm building my own. I stopped at a good will kind of place yesterday and picked up a kid's bike. I'm going to use the wheels for the trailer. Hopefully, as I build, I'll share pics. Cool orange rims...

Have any of you guys or girls built anything like this.

"A", I went down the rabbit hole and read about Micah's Chinese electric mini-truck. That looks super fun.

There are certain places in the country where golf carts and ATVs can be licensed and ridden on the public roads. I wonder if this is in the future for mini electric cars?

...On the other hand, if it is, then will they want to start licensing (taxing) eBikes? :-o

I was stationed overseas for about 8 years, have operated many different types of transport that would not be considered "street legal" in the US.

I've considered those small electric cars/trucks that have small enclosed space to shelter myself from weather or carry cargo internally.

But the hassle of importing motor vehicle with Bill of Landing & converting to Vehicle Title usually require special vehicle inspection from the sate DMV; ultimately require registration, insurance & license plate.
Which in term the vehicle will not be able to get away with operation through parks, sidewalks, etc..

The enclosed cabin does offer good platform for possibility of solar panel install and charge while the vehicle is parked;
which is very much beneficial if you live in a sunny state.

I keep toying around the idea in my head of converting my cargo ebike with a enclosed cabin/canopy that can support solar panels on the roof.

Hi,
For a controller look at a MPPT-7210A. You can progam both voltage and current output. Look at the data plate on your charger and that should have the voltage and current values you need. For my 48 volt battery I need 56.4 vdc at 2 amps. Unless you use flexible solar panels weight may be an issue. Lets say you have a 14 ah battery that is fully discharged, at 2 amps that's 7 hours to charge. Connecting the controller output to the battery can be done a couple of ways but the easiest is to find the same connector that used on your charger . Hope that helps.
I'm a newbie too. Just got a Sondors Smart Step and was able to get it charging from the panel on my teardrop. I'm using...

... as the controller.
It charges about the same as plugging it in!
Not sure how to post pictures.

Thanks for the advice, I'll check it out

There are some old threads that you can get some ideas on what to do:

Confucious say, get a hunting ebike, you are demanding too much from a rad several hundred dollars later you will see the limitations and the Poster with the "Jackery" gave good advice. IMHO

I'm building my setup using gear from "Renogy" I have their 500w battery box/converter/inverter. I have a Rad Runner Plus, a Burley "Flat Bed" trailer. (I haven't decided whether to get the high flotation wheel kit. I have the 4-panel 400w Renogy foldable kit for when parked. I'm planning on getting the 200-watt Flex Panel for my trailer. I also have a 2nd 17.5w battery and DATEX power distribution device from biggamebikes dot com.

If I want to mount solar panels on my garage roof for charging e-bikes, where do I even start? it would be nice to be able to run some LED lights inside the garage, too. Thanks for any help you can send my way!

If I want to mount solar panels on my garage roof for charging e-bikes, where do I even start? it would be nice to be able to run some LED lights inside the garage, too. Thanks for any help you can send my way!
You can find the deals on sites like "Electrek" for Jackerey and other vendors of solar and powerbank equipment, some of these powerbanks have many diverse outlets. OTH invertors are not that expensive and you can usually find at least a 200 watt setup fairly reasonable, you can go to"Harbor freight"-(ugh) and get started.The advantage of the portable and foldable units are you can take them with you or store from vandals when you do not need them, do not know your budget, it seems you are not demanding too much, now if you really want to get started on the "shining Solar path" I recommend -"Dollars to Sunshine" by by former Chrysler engineer ,Steven Harris Best-Kevin ( I hope this falls within the parameters of this thread- don't want to stray any)

Get some ideas how to use solar charging as you ride:

Check this out!!

Back