Rad Rover 6 has a $600 fuse

Rxevans

Local time
6:41 PM
If you blow this fuse on your Rad Rover 6 Plus, Rad Power will tell you to buy a new $600 battery.
It is easy to blow this fuse, even if Rad Power tells you it is not possible. Some people also thought the Titanic couldn’t sink.
Rad decided to bury the fuse behind a warranty seal, some very thick shrink wrap and gobs of RTV cement.
I think that the Rad Engineers saw the internet video on how to do it and added more RTV to thwart any effort to change the fuse. The fuse can be purchased in batches of 20 on Amazon for $4.95
I changed mine but lost the charge indicator doing it. Fortunately, the charge indicator on the bike still works. It is not an easy task.
I would not buy this bike again or recommend it.

Attachments

• EB50C9D7-646A-42CC-AB4B-C776FB8409F9.jpeg
    EB50C9D7-646A-42CC-AB4B-C776FB8409F9.jpeg
    121.6 KB · Views: 314
  • DAB32F2F-707C-4DE1-980B-F604A70EF340.jpeg
    DAB32F2F-707C-4DE1-980B-F604A70EF340.jpeg
    117.2 KB · Views: 318
I wonder if this is a power issue-Anyone have an issue with the 6S+ UI not displaying time/odometer/watt draw or MPH? Crapped mid ride- only 300mi on it. No response from Rad support (ticket on 7/29)
1659480975219.png

If you blow this fuse on your Rad Rover 6 Plus, Rad Power will tell you to buy a new $600 battery.
It is easy to blow this fuse, even if Rad Power tells you it is not possible. Some people also thought the Titanic couldn’t sink.
Rad decided to bury the fuse behind a warranty seal, some very thick shrink wrap and gobs of RTV cement.
I think that the Rad Engineers saw the internet video on how to do it and added more RTV to thwart any effort to change the fuse. The fuse can be purchased in batches of 20 on Amazon for $4.95
I changed mine but lost the charge indicator doing it. Fortunately, the charge indicator on the bike still works. It is not an easy task.
Thanks for this info @Rxevans , I'm sure it will save someone from buying a completely new battery!

There's no excuse for that, besides greed. Rad needs to respond and do the right thing.
Thanks for the heads up.

https://www.hicbattery.com/ I contacted HI-C Battery and they were great folks. They replaced the fuse and total was ~$90 for parts/labor/shipping about 6 months ago. RadRover6+

eBikes manufacturing is kind of a "wild west" scenario right now because it's been a relatively niche market. With the rapidly rising popularity I think we're going to see some stiff safety and standards regulations showing up before much longer.

Thank you for this post! I just blew my fuse and I'm going to replace it now. Here's the big question....if it's impossible to blow th, why did they put a fuse in it at all? The purpose of the fuse is to guard against power surges. If it's impossible to blow it, there's no reason to have one anyway. I wanted to love this company so badly. I just can't anymore.....

I wonder if this is a power issue-Anyone have an issue with the 6S+ UI not displaying time/odometer/watt draw or MPH? Crapped mid ride- only 300mi on it. No response from Rad support (ticket on 7/29)
View attachment 4725
Looks like a display failure to me. Keep calling and emailing them daily until they fixit for you. This is the only way to get these companies to properly support their products, of course we could just stop recommending them too.

https://www.hicbattery.com/ I contacted HI-C Battery and they were great folks. They replaced the fuse and total was ~$90 for parts/labor/shipping about 6 months ago. RadRover6+
I have had to replace both fuses in my Himiway battery. The charge port fuse blew when I plugged in a new defective LUNA CYCLES charger. The output 30amp surface mount fuse blew when I was experimenting with a discharge device I bought from China.

As stated these companies put sticker/seals on these batteries saying opening voids warranty, I said what the heck if battery is fried I won't get one from them without a big fight so I opened and dug around until I found the fuses.

If you are not electrically/electronically competent I don't suggest to attempt these repairs yourself. I have to admit is was difficult to find the proper surface mount fuse and then there was the task of removing and replacing the fuse without the proper tools, but I got it and it is working great again.

Thank you for this post! I just blew my fuse and I'm going to replace it now. Here's the big question....if it's impossible to blow th, why did they put a fuse in it at all? The purpose of the fuse is to guard against power surges. If it's impossible to blow it, there's no reason to have one anyway. I wanted to love this company so badly. I just can't anymore.....
I’d rather blow a fuse instead of frying a unit. But it definitely should be user replaceable and not a hidden thing. People accidentally do stupid stuff and it’s nice to have a fuse protecting your stupidity when that happens. Not that I would know, right? I just fried my wife’s PAS by plugging it into the wrong unused connector. Late night not paying attention. Thank goodness it was just a $12 part and didn’t hurt the controller.

Now on my 3rd RadRover 6 battery with just 160 miles. After a several months wait, multiple calls, long holds, & emails without results I submitted an easy online claim to Better Business Bureau & got resolution email from Rad in 48 hours - note shipping time was an addional couple of weeks by truck.

The 1st Rad 6 replacement battery failed after just 2 charges. This time, with my BBB reminder included & using my previous service acct # a 2nd replacement was authorized within a couple of days & delivered a few weeks latter.

Bike was unusable for most of summer & early fall.

Note that the 2nd Rad 6 updated battery appears to have no replaceable fuze.

At $600/, it makes me wonder why a simple user accessable circuit breaker with a reset isn't the standard on all ebikes.

Now on my 3rd RadRover 6 battery with just 160 miles. After a several months wait, multiple calls, long holds, & emails without results I submitted an easy online claim to Better Business Bureau & got resolution email from Rad in 48 hours - note shipping time was an addional couple of weeks by truck.

The 1st Rad 6 replacement battery failed after just 2 charges. This time, with my BBB reminder included & using my previous service acct # a 2nd replacement was authorized within a couple of days & delivered a few weeks latter.

Bike was unusable for most of summer & early fall.

Note that the 2nd Rad 6 updated battery appears to have no replaceable fuze.

At $600/, it makes me wonder why a simple user accessable circuit breaker with a reset isn't the standard on all ebikes.
Good question but most likely can be answered with a simply they don't care.

They (Rad Investors & Management) might learn to care with more (perhaps a flood) Better Business Bureau complaints & the possibility of another consumer recall. A failed battery poses inconvenience, financial & safety concerns

i did mine a few months ago. yes it was a pain

I Watched a few videos and changed mine in about 15 minutes. the price to replace it was all the motivation I needed. I paid for my overindulgence when I put my key in the charger port. lol lesson learned....

Internet video was spot on. Replaced fuse very easily and problem solved. Rad was generously offering me $100 off on new battery as I was 1 month out of warranty. They provided me a quote for $801. It pays to look into others experiences before going to the “experts “.

Back