Rad Rover 5 Electric fat bike reviews and opinions

James

Local time
9:53 PM
Hello,

Does anyone know if the Radrover 5 is a good electric bike?? I'm not a bike pro, but is it good for off road riding?

Thanks!

My first ever ebike was a 2016 RadRover and I liked it. Everyone that has ridden it has liked it. It's goof value for your money. I have had no problems with mine in all these years. You should be fine riding it off road but it's not meant as a mountain bike for trail riding.

Same with me this was one of my first e-bikes also. I had the 2018 RadRover. It's a great bike and I have ridden it for around 500miles with no problems. The company is great to deal with as well. It's a good street bike but I wouldn't recommend it off road. My friend loved the bike so much he offered me exactly what I paid for ($1500) so I sold it to him and upgraded. He's ridden it another 500miles and the only problem was het hit a pothole so hard that it bent the front wheel - but that's the riders fault, not the bikes!

Nice looking hub drive bike. The fat tires means you can take it anywhere - like down the beach for example. My first ebike was a hub drive too but now I've moved on to mid drives BBS02's ect.

I have had both knees replaced, left one two years ago, right one Feb. 10, 2020. Had my Rad Rover 5 just three weeks and have just passed the 50 mile mark.....Best knee therapy session's I have done, it takes about a block to get the knees moving and you have to get the seat height set right to start with but once going ......no exercise can compete plus it's a great feeling riding around and seeing the Country side, at 72 I am so glad I purchased my RadRover. If you are on the fence all I can say is go for it.

I have had both knees replaced, left one two years ago, right one Feb. 10, 2020. Had my Rad Rover 5 just three weeks and have just passed the 50 mile mark.....Best knee therapy session's I have done, it takes about a block to get the knees moving and you have to get the seat height set right to start with but once going ......no exercise can compete plus it's a great feeling riding around and seeing the Country side, at 72 I am so glad I purchased my RadRover. If you are on the fence all I can say is go for it.
I’m 74 and just ordered the rad rover 5. Shipping in june. Like being a kid again waiting for that first Schwin for Christmas. Greg Tucson AZ

I’m 74 and just ordered the rad rover 5. Shipping in june. Like being a kid again waiting for that first Schwin for Christmas. Greg Tucson AZ
LOL I bought a Radmini for use as a "Pit Bike" at auto race tracks. I felt the same way as you after ordering and I still feel the same way when I pull it out at the track and get on it. I assure you, there will be many miles with smiles. Here's a fun thing to do, let a friend ride it and then video them as they ride past. They will give you a look like Pee Wee Herman as they ride by. Be careful and enjoy.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've got a 2017/2018 radrover with over 8000 miles on it from daily commute to work. I bought it brand new and have replaced the freewheel once, the chain and rear tire twice, the front tire for the first time at 8000 miles as well as one set of brake pads for both front and rear. The actual mph and therefore odometer have always been a few off for max speed settings, so in reality I probably have 10000 miles on my hubmotor. I'm looking to upgrade the motor and possibly battery in the future, buy I'd like a little more performance.. especially in the acceleration field for hill climbing. I have 2 hills in my commute that drop me to 10-12 mph for about 2 mins each. The rest is of my commute is relatively flat. I have 2 batteries that are factory 48v from rad that still hold enough juice for my 18 mile roundtrip ride that I alternate daily and can get me to and and back from the 9 miles one way to work. My plan is to get around 35mph and use both batteries on a single day, instead of alternating because I've noticed a drop in their charge levels (blinking to 1 bar after roundtrip) as they are aging and I'm now getting close to discharge at 18 miles. I rely on this bike from late February early March to as late as December for my commute... Rain or shine.
There is alot of info on motor/battery upgrades, but I'm thinking about 1000-1500 watt motors.... possible controller upgrades in the 35 Amp + range and (eventually) battery to 52v or more.
I want to do the motor first,and controller if I have to with it but keep my batteries for now, and also have the option to go to 52 or even higher voltage when the batteries are no longer viable for my usage.
Do I stay gear drive?
Go DD?
What about AWD?

Controllers/displays/other things i should worry about?

The brakes are fine being cable driven disks.. even at the GPS readings of 23-26 mph currently with a full charge to work.

Thoughts?

Back