Rad city plus 5

chouser

Local time
7:00 AM
Have bad controller. Took battery I knew was good and inserted it. Now battery shows 0 volts. What's going on?

How did you know it was good?

It sounds like some kind of protection opened. 0 V only happens with an open circuit. A cell's CID (current interrupt device) may have opened, thus opening the whole circuit.

There's really no way to tell without a person with electronics knowledge opening the pack and probing around with a voltmeter. There are protections for when cells go out of balance.

While riding, all power suddenly shut down. Pedaled home, meter showed 0 volts. Put fully charged battery from daughter's plus 5 in my bike and nothing. Put meter on it and it showed 0 volts. Now I'm stuck with two $600 batteries that don't work. The bad controller has to have caused this. Rad is sending me two controllers and asking for pictures and videos of the two batteries that won't work. So I'll have to wait and see if they will also replace the batteries.

Seems like maybe the controller shorted out the batteries and tripped a fuse or something.

I hope they take care of you, they're kind of a big brand, so I bet they will.

I tried to swap handle bars went back together my thumb throttle was not tight on bars and lost power on T1 no more issue after tightening

I tried to swap handle bars went back together my thumb throttle was not tight on bars and lost power on T1 no more issue after tightening
I am interested in switching the handlebars to be straight and not bent (like on the RadMission Electric Hybrid Bike). Is that what you did? Did it work?

I have had a Rad City 5 for a few months. Having problems already. Had a full battery, but it was not communicating with the bike, with the display saying no power. Indeed it had no power. I looked at the connectors, I blew them out with air, re-connected, and seemed to be in business.

Then today I rode 20 hilly miles from home, parked for an hour and, when I came back, the power from the battery was not reaching the bike. Connectors/controller/something. So I had a new kind of "hybrid" bicycle to ride home: a large, heavy, ebike with no electricity. And inconsistent gearing.

I bought this ebike because I have a blown out knee that is aggravated by bicycle riding and because I hoped to use it in place of my car whenever possible. My knee is worse after today's hard ride, with no power. I don't trust my bike enough, even if it's fixed, to go get groceries because I'm worried it might die again.

I just want an ebike that is reliable and not finicky and needing constant tinkering. So bummed!!

I have had a Rad City 5 for a few months. Having problems already. Had a full battery, but it was not communicating with the bike, with the display saying no power. Indeed it had no power. I looked at the connectors, I blew them out with air, re-connected, and seemed to be in business.

Then today I rode 20 hilly miles from home, parked for an hour and, when I came back, the power from the battery was not reaching the bike. Connectors/controller/something. So I had a new kind of "hybrid" bicycle to ride home: a large, heavy, ebike with no electricity. And inconsistent gearing.

I bought this ebike because I have a blown out knee that is aggravated by bicycle riding and because I hoped to use it in place of my car whenever possible. My knee is worse after today's hard ride, with no power. I don't trust my bike enough, even if it's fixed, to go get groceries because I'm worried it might die again.

I just want an ebike that is reliable and not finicky and needing constant tinkering. So bummed!!
You may want to do a few shakedown runs, where you can have someone pick you up in case of problems, until you trust it again.

I think you should have Rad send their truck out to troubleshoot your bike and approve it for duty again. It is one huge advantage to buying a Rad bike.

You may want to do a few shakedown runs, where you can have someone pick you up in case of problems, until you trust it again.

I think you should have Rad send their truck out to troubleshoot your bike and approve it for duty again. It is one huge advantage to buying a Rad bike.
Does Rad have "trucks" they can send out Everywhere??

You have a bad controller. Install a new one and your troubles will be over.

Back