Question re Currie 500W Hub Motor

Jack237

Local time
10:36 AM
I have a Raleigh Detour ie bike with a Currie 500W Hub motor. I am experiencing two problems which may be related. The first problem is that the pedal assist does not immediately engage. After I play with it awhile by adjusting the gears and increasing and decreasing the PAS level, it does finally engage and displays the error code 6 when it does. This error code indicates that the brake disengage function is not operating properly. I have looked at the brakes to see if I can identify the problem, but do not see any problems.
The second problem I am encountering is that when the PAS finally does engage, it only operates up to 15 mph instead of 20 mph.
I would appreciate any suggestions on either problem. I have read that the speed issue may be correctable by adjusting the wheel size reading in the controller. I can access the diagnostic mode, but it doesn't seem to allow for any adjustment or resetting of the wheel size setting.
Now that Raleigh isn't distributing in the US anymore, I am having a hard time finding someone who can service the bike.

I am replying to my own posting. After unsuccessfully trying to get the brake cut-off switch sensor fixed by the local dealer recommended by tech support, I tried found a solution. I taped a small magnet on top of the brake sensor on the handle and that effectively deactivated it. It's not a complete fix because the sensor on that brake doesn't act as a cut-off for the PAS when the brake handle is pulled, but it eliminated the error code and the bike now goes 20 mph again instead of 15 mph and the PAS engages immediately without any error codes.

Back