PSA: Specialized Levo Turbo wiring harness failure

camus

Local time
4:59 PM
Hi All. I have a 2016 Specialized Levo Turbo Expert I bought on the secondary market.

I've had an intermittent problem where the motor would seem to lose power intermittently. It was very subtle at first - almost as if the power was changed to eco by itself. The the motor would cut out completely here and there. Then it failed completely.

I was very worried at the prospect of an expensive repair (correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the Specialized warranty only applies to the original purchaser).

I did some troubleshooting and, as it turns out, one of the female connectors on the wiring harness to the battery some how got stretched out/compromised. I put a piece of alum foil in there and, wallah! Fixed and the motor was back to consistent full power.

See pic. As having a piece of foil is probably not best practice I've put in a request to my LBS to order a new harness. Still no word of ETA or price. Nevertheless, hope this post helps someone out.

Turbo Levo Expert female connectors fix on wiring harness.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
camus! Thank you, it worked!

thanks for posting this - my levo expert is about 800 miles in, and was just cutting out... very frustrated was not enough to express my disappointment.... and, to my delight, your solution worked! when i inspected the harness and the female holes, i noticed they were wallowed out... your aluminum foil solution was the trick and i will always carry a wade in my camelback from now on. thanks again. oldfatdudenicebike

Yes, it’s a little looser. It’s a “in the tool box” spare part y’all need. Your LBS will either warranty or sell you one for about $100. If they warranty and install, MAKE SURE they don’t route the cable through the holding clip. Use the clip to zip-tie the cable to the side. The clip is too tight and somehow pinches the cable into not communicating between battery and motor. Against Guru Chris at UK Berkshire Cycles, I actually eliminated the clip post and let the cable hang. Carry a spare for you and loved ones in need.

Same problem and the foil worked! The harness is ordered but it’s been a month so far and no eta ☹️

Back